Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering when I can drink alcohol

I started drinking wine about 3 weeks after my surgery because it was New years eve and i just wanted to. It seemed to be fine but most people would disagree. I told myself that i wasnt going to drink for 6 months while i was healing but ended up going on drinking benders in January and February. I was try to stay strong and avoid it as much as possible due to it being addictive.

I have not had surgery yet, but my surgeon told me to wait at least one year after having the gastric sleeve before drinking any alcohol and “never” if I decide to have gastric bypass. (Literally said I could never have alcohol again after bypass)
So my guess is that you should definitely not have any alcohol. I would hate for anything bad to happen to you.

I got **** face 2 months out and paid for it the next day/week BUT I sure did have fuunnnn [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

10 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Yeah I think the way you worded it that triggered a lot of your responses....

“Really want a drink”

Alcohol is rough on a healing stomach. The empty calories are rough on weight loss. Typically people feel drunk quicker which is tough on food choices.

Most plans recommend avoiding liquid calories in general. Most recommend avoiding alcohol for 3-6 months or even a year. Some recommend avoiding it forever.

Check with your surgeon and your plan.

Also, note—at 9 days post op you are still healing. Your cut nerves haven’t healed yet and you probably can’t feel what’s going on so you wouldn’t be able to feel any burning or other harsh effects on the healing cut edges. That takes about six weeks to three months. So it may feel like you’re handling it well but you just don’t know yet.

So, that is why I respectfully deferred to your surgeons plan. You trusted your surgeon to cut you open, trust their plan.

Some people drink earlier out than others. Some do well with it, some do not.

Your question, though, “how soon can I have a drink” I turn back on you. You can find people on here to give ANY answer you like. Whose answer are you looking for? Most of us don’t have medical degrees.

Yeah I guess I was just wondering how long it took others to have their first drink, but ive realized everyone's body reacts differently. Thanks for the lengthy answer.

I'm 4 wks out and went out last night w. Hubby for v.day dinner and a movie. I had 1 glass of wine white zinfindal 5oz glass and drank it through out prob.an hr. Little sips. I just wanted to taste it not get drunk. But it did make me nervous..

there are so many different rules after surgery ...i was started on purees and did excellent even had solids ...never a problem ...

Oh my goodness, pureed foods from day 1? I can't imagine. Either way, in the many variations, I've never seen alcohol allowed so early.

3 hours ago, Acts238girl said:

Oh my goodness, pureed foods from day 1? I can't imagine. Either way, in the many variations, I've never seen alcohol allowed so early.

They said no ...but i have had some ...no problem at all....wasted calories i know but like to shoot pool and socialize.....not saying im right by any means just that can with no side effects

Edited by BRIAN HAT

Wow... sorry you’re getting so much judgement on here... it’s really unnecessary for people to be so rude when you’re just inquiring.

I haven’t had my surgery yet, but just based on what I’ve read and watched, everyone is different.

Some people have one drink 6 months out and feel it immediately. Others are 2 months out and have a drink and don’t feel it at all. When I have my surgery, I plan on at least waiting 6 to 9 months before trying but I’m not much of a drinker anyhow.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

On 2/16/2018 at 1:09 PM, Evelyn Canales said:

Im 9 days post op and really want a drink, I've been healing well tolerating everything extremely well. How soon can I have a drink?

Thanks!

WOW.

Please don't feel upset with all these different answers/responses. At the end of the day, everyone means well and wants you to succeed in permanent long term weight loss. I have not had my surgery yet and I would say to stay away from it as long as you can. My weightloss coordinator recommended to not have a drink atleast 1 year after as alcohol is not tolerated well in your stomache.

The first 6 months are the months you will lose the most weight, why throw a rock in your own path? No joke, my good friend had gastric surgery and 2 years later he gained it all back because he loved to drink. Theres a ton of people struggling on here to keep the weight off even after surgery due to over eatting and drinking. We all need to learn from their mistakes. We have to remember that we are a complete different breed of people (due to different genes) and have to always work harder/exercise more than normal skinny people who never has to consider weight loss surgery because they can eat all they want, not exercise, and never gain weight (This is my sister).

Girl, I feel you 100% but weight loss surgery is only a tool. You and I are the same and have to train our minds to eat/drink better, exercise more than the average person to maintain a healthy weight at all times so we can live life well and live longer...Heck, in two months after my surgery,m I might be on here asking the same question but Im gonna look to you to tell me to NOT do it. If we were good friends out and about, I would slap the alcohol drink out of your hand and give you cool Water with cucumber/lemon wedge because I want you to do well. =)

You got this under control! It's all a mind game. :)

Im 9 days post op and really want a drink, I've been healing well tolerating everything extremely well. How soon can I have a drink?
Thanks!

I have yet to figure out why people are so rude sometimes. I have read many posts about alcohol on this forum and they all have rude comments so don’t feel too bad. Use the search bar to find the other posts and you will see others have commented about having alcohol very soon after surgery and being fine. My surgeon said something about 6 weeks but I have been tempted. I’m 4 1/2 weeks post op. I have read that it is easier to become a binge drinker after surgery and some do actually become alcoholics so just take it slow.

Hi,

So I am 5 Years post op and the best advice I could give you is to wait at least 6 months unless your surgeon gives you the thumbs up beforehand.

Try to stay away from the sugary mixed drinks, beer and champagne... at least for as long as you can.

I had my first drink ... thnx to peer pressure and feeling left out ...about a month out it was a corona mixed with Tomato juice (Clamato) - I took like 4 sips and was done... couldn't finish drinking it. I didn't drink again until I was officially 6 months post op and realized that my tolerance for beer was different + the carbonation had me feeling like I was going to die lol . I also got drunk much faster.

My advice is to wait as long as you can and try to take small sips and make sure you eat before and after to ensure that the you don't get crazy drunk. Hope this helps!