Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering when I can drink alcohol

Im 9 days post op and really want a drink, I've been healing well tolerating everything extremely well. How soon can I have a drink?

Thanks!

Im 9 days post op and really want a drink, I've been healing well tolerating everything extremely well. How soon can I have a drink?
Thanks!

You sound like an alcoholic, maybe get some help for that before you irritate your new stomach and possibly have some serious problems, sometimes life threatening.

Sent from my N9560 using BariatricPal mobile app

What does your surgeon’s plan say? Different plans say different things. You trusted your surgeon to cut you open, trust your surgeons diet advice.

You just joined an hour ago, and this is your burning concern? Ask your surgeon but i am sure you already know the answer but what the hell ask all the non professionals you want until you get the answer you are looking for.

Edited by Sosewsue61

I'm pretty sure you know what the answer is going to be.... Not being judgey at all, but you're 9 days out and want to drink alcohol? It's going to be ages before that desire gets entertained by anyone. Professional or not.

Alcoholic beverages are nothing but empty calories and I'm not sure if you've had the sleeve or bypass but drinking that stuff can make you sick or give you stomach ulcers. You're fresh out of the hospital.

Don't do it. Avoid alcohol like it's the plague for the next year or so. If it's something you really must know, then heed the previous person's advice and ask your surgeon.

But I vote... Don't do it.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-135
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 36C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

1 hour ago, Sosewsue61 said:

You just joined an hour ago, and this is your burning concern? Ask your surgeon but i am sure you already know the answer but what the hell ask all the non professionals you want until you get the answer you are looking for.

What does me joining an hr ago have to do with anything? Where is the relevance in that? And who said it was my 'burning concern'.. it was just a question......

2 hours ago, nomorefattypatty said:

You sound like an alcoholic, maybe get some help for that before you irritate your new stomach and possibly have some serious problems, sometimes life threatening.

An alcoholic because I want a drink? I'm sorry did I say I wanted to get hammered or have a several? I said A DRINK. Had I known that posting a question would require me to deal with a bunch of judgemental people I would've refrained from doing so. I thought this was somewhere I could go for support and for answers without being judged. Sorry I asked geez..

1 hour ago, Myaiku_Kuraitani said:

I'm pretty sure you know what the answer is going to be.... Not being judgey at all, but you're 9 days out and want to drink alcohol? It's going to be ages before that desire gets entertained by anyone. Professional or not.

Alcoholic beverages are nothing but empty calories and I'm not sure if you've had the sleeve or bypass but drinking that stuff can make you sick or give you stomach ulcers. You're fresh out of the hospital.

Don't do it. Avoid alcohol like it's the plague for the next year or so. If it's something you really must know, then heed the previous person's advice and ask your surgeon.

But I vote... Don't do it.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-135
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 36C

RNY

Thank you for at least being respectful in your response. I really appreciate it.

Thank you for at least being respectful in your response. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome 🙂

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-135
GW-130
Bra Size- 36C

RNY

An alcoholic because I want a drink? I'm sorry did I say I wanted to get hammered or have a several? I said A DRINK. Had I known that posting a question would require me to deal with a bunch of judgemental people I would've refrained from doing so. I thought this was somewhere I could go for support and for answers without being judged. Sorry I asked geez..

You are 9 days out of surgery and craving alcohol, you're not even on mashed foods yet but you want to drink that sounds exactly like an alcoholic to me, really wasn't judging, but it sounded like a cry for help.

I’m sorry that you’ve been preyed upon by the stone throwers. This forum is full of self righteous prigs. It didn’t kill me to have a few sips around the same time as you post op. I do think returning to drinking habit will slow weight loss so I have tried to change my consumption as much as possible while still retaining my sanity and social life, less consumption, low calorie/no calorie mixers, limit wine and eliminate beer.

I'm not really sure why you would go through EVERYTHING you went through, and are still recovering from surgery, and want a drink so bad? Maybe it was the way you worded it, either way, it seems to me this is the time to begin healthy habits. Just wait and ask your doctor. If we can't even eat pureed food yet, I can't imagine alcohol is on the list.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

there are so many different rules after surgery ...i was started on purees and did excellent even had solids ...never a problem ...

Yeah I think the way you worded it that triggered a lot of your responses....

“Really want a drink”

Alcohol is rough on a healing stomach. The empty calories are rough on weight loss. Typically people feel drunk quicker which is tough on food choices.

Most plans recommend avoiding liquid calories in general. Most recommend avoiding alcohol for 3-6 months or even a year. Some recommend avoiding it forever.

Check with your surgeon and your plan.

Also, note—at 9 days post op you are still healing. Your cut nerves haven’t healed yet and you probably can’t feel what’s going on so you wouldn’t be able to feel any burning or other harsh effects on the healing cut edges. That takes about six weeks to three months. So it may feel like you’re handling it well but you just don’t know yet.

So, that is why I respectfully deferred to your surgeons plan. You trusted your surgeon to cut you open, trust their plan.

Some people drink earlier out than others. Some do well with it, some do not.

Your question, though, “how soon can I have a drink” I turn back on you. You can find people on here to give ANY answer you like. Whose answer are you looking for? Most of us don’t have medical degrees.