Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery 2/7. I am in sales and constantly on the go. This week has been hell. I cannot get all my fluids down. Protein is a no go. I have limited time to eat and it takes so long. If I push myself I get really sick. Just off a Protein Shake. I’m terrified I’m going to stretch it so quickly simply because I’m always in a hurry!

You have to push fluids because getting dehydrated is really serious. Try a clear Protein like Isopure blue raspberry diluted with crystal light lemonade. The thinner consistency will go down easier, carry an insulated bottle with you and a cooler in your car if you travel, take it to all meetings, sip while on the phone, etc. This is your new normal now and you will have more adjustments to come. Also rest when you can because in the early weeks you won't realize how exhausted you are until you just hit that wall and lack of fluids and protein will cause that to happen faster, it's nearly impossible to 'make up' for missed meals because you just can't consume that much. Also try Bone Broth because it has more protein than regular broth. Good luck. Take care.

The beginning can be really rough. Many people find it difficult to meet their Protein and Fluid requirements during the first few weeks. This is because your body is in a major heal mode. Just keep working towards your daily goals and you should be able to get there.

What type of surgery did you have?

The three most important elements after weight loss surgery are to meet your daily protein, fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

You have to push fluids because getting dehydrated is really serious. Try a clear Protein like Isopure blue raspberry diluted with crystal light lemonade. The thinner consistency will go down easier, carry an insulated bottle with you and a cooler in your car if you travel, take it to all meetings, sip while on the phone, etc. This is your new normal now and you will have more adjustments to come. Also rest when you can because in the early weeks you won't realize how exhausted you are until you just hit that wall and lack of fluids and protein will cause that to happen faster, it's nearly impossible to 'make up' for missed meals because you just can't consume that much. Also try Bone Broth because it has more protein than regular broth. Good luck. Take care.

Thank you. I will try that protein. I didn’t realize broth had protein but, duh! That makes sense! I’m a single very busy mom and on the go is the only way I know. So this is a MAJOR adjustment and it’s frustrating me.

The beginning can be really rough. Many people find it difficult to meet their Protein and Fluid requirements during the first few weeks. This is because your body is in a major heal mode. Just keep working towards your daily goals and you should be able to get there.
What type of surgery did you have?
The three most important elements after weight loss surgery are to meet your daily protein, fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

I had Sleeve. And ugh I haven’t even started Vitamins yet! 🤦🏼‍♀️ I’m still having issues with being weak from just lack of calories. When does that go away?

The weakness is def a sign of needed Fluid, salt in broth will help that too. But as soon as you can take in small amounts of real food Protein it gets better. Cottage cheese, high protein yogurt like Siggi's will help a lot, even tuna salad makes a huge impact once you get to that stage.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery and for the first month my meal volume was limited to 2 ounces per meal. That is almost nothing. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes. I found that if I met the Fluid, Vitamin and protein requirement, I had all the energy I needed.

In your case since you are very much on the go, you might need a little extra protein. So I guess I am saying don't stress on the meals, but rather put your focus on meeting your fluid, vitamin and protein goals.

If you are weak, it can be due to dehydration. If you are weak it can be due to an electrolyte deficiency (such as potassium and sodium). Without sufficient protein, your body will scavenge protein from other areas of your body, such as your muscles. Protein is extremely important after surgery as its job in the body is to build and maintain tissues including your body's major organs and skeletal muscles. Protein deficiency, when continued over a long period of time can cause a disease known as protein caloric malnutrition. Common symptoms are poor healing, fatigue, Hair loss and muscle wasting. Immediate post op, protein promotes healing of the staple line and incisions.

I am looking forward to soft food week!

Thanks for all the tips. I didn’t get enough Fluid in before surgery and I thought I’d be fine but I didn’t take into account that everything else is depleted as well.

Questions. Is this straw and bottle thing important? Being able to grab a Water from gas station would be helpful.

You now have a much smaller stomach. When you had a large stomach, it would hold a lot of gas. But now if you drink with a straw or drink carbonated beverages, you will put gas in your small stomach. So it is best if you don't.

But you could drink Water from a bottle so long as you don't use a straw.

I put some of my experiences in a short article. You might find it interesting. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Have you tried Protein20? It has 15g of Protein, 60 calories. I've only tried the Mixed berry so far, and it actually tastes good.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQ5H870/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not a solution, but could be an easy way to get some additional protein.