Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve and Menstrual Cycle??

For the Ladies - Did anyone’s cycle go completely wacky in the months after surgery? If so, for how long? I was sleeved this past November and I didn’t get mine the month after, then I did, now I missed it again! Is this due to rapid weight loss or other ???

For the Ladies - Did anyone’s cycle go completely wacky in the months after surgery? If so, for how long? I was sleeved this past November and I didn’t get mine the month after, then I did, now I missed it again! Is this due to rapid weight loss or other ???

I’m only a month out, and I’m on birth control, but I ended up getting my period whilst still on the active pills, and have bled for about 10 days straight now lol. I know maybe it’s not a similar situation as yours, but my cycle has definitely been affected (mainly because I’m not absorbing the pill properly right now... let that be a warning to other pill users! Beware lol).
Have you had a chat to your surgeon about it? I suspect it would be somewhat normal to have menstrual changes given the way we eat now, but perhaps checking in with the surgeon will shed some extra light on it. All the best!

I had surgery in November. First month after surgery no period. Now I’ve had it jan and this month. My period is so heavy and it last so long. I am not sure why you missed maybe it’s the weight loss

Hell to the yes. Multiple periods in one month, and I then missed one altogether. Much heavier, crampier and longer than usual. I'm not on the pill or any birth control (I do not need a daily reminder that I'm not getting frisky). I got so freaked out by these weird periods that I ran to my bariatric doctor who said wacky menstruation after surgery is totally normal. The surgery messes with our hormones, as does the weight loss. My doctor also warned me 14 times that you are super fertile after surgery and that it was not a good idea to risk pregnancy (even though I explained that I am celibate AF). Anyway, it's all pretty much settled down now.

Yes this! Because estrogen is stored in fat so when we lose it it releases extra estrogen!

Hell to the yes. Multiple periods in one month, and I then missed one altogether. Much heavier, crampier and longer than usual. I'm not on the pill or any birth control (I do not need a daily reminder that I'm not getting frisky). I got so freaked out by these weird periods that I ran to my bariatric doctor who said wacky menstruation after surgery is totally normal. The surgery messes with our hormones, as does the weight loss. My doctor also warned me 14 times that you are super fertile after surgery and that it was not a good idea to risk pregnancy (even though I explained that I am celibate AF). Anyway, it's all pretty much settled down now.

Your post made me chuckle!! [emoji23]

I just had my sleeve surgery (2/13/18) and I was slated to start my menstrual cycle on 2/15— and like clockwork, it came! So far no issues though I wish it would have waited until I was somewhat healed to visit!