Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Gastric Sleeve Week 2 - Things I've Noticed

Hell there,

just wanted to share my experience. I am now in my second week post gastric sleeve surgery. I stared my weight loss on January 17, had surgery on February 5, 2018. Here's my observations about my body & mind so far:

1. My starting weight was 343 lbs (I am 6ft 3ins tall). Had surgery on February 5th, 2018 at Forest Hills Hospital, NY c/o Dr Alison Barrett (Great doctor by the way!).

2. Day of surgery I weighed 325 lbs.

3. The first two to three days were uncomfortable, without too much actual pain. Stayed overnight in hospital, rereleased end of 2nd day. Had a-slight spleen bled which doctor took care of. Had to crush my regular meds for the first two weeks.

4. Once I had started the pre diet, I went out and bought my self a 3 tier steamer, and steamed fish and loads of veggies. This really made a difference leading up to the two week official pre-op diet. Best purchase ever! Love the way food tastes. Yes, you actually taste things better when they are steamed.

5. I did all my 2nd stage food prep using a blender, mixing Proteins and steamed veggies then sealing them in small plastic containers before freezing them. Being prepared ahead saves you being stressed.

6. Once I started the diet, my mind & my body started to feel lighter. I really noticed the difference. I was determined to do this, and had nerves all the way until I was on the OR table. I was not going to let myself down by backing out. I stayed focused and remained resolute in my head. I had others around me who would question if I was doing the right thing, but I had to shut them out, and only listen to my determination talking.

7. I am about to go to stage 3 pureed food, but have already been able to tolerate some of the already prepped food. So I am sure I will be fine when I make the switch.

8. For the first time in my life, I now pay attention to food, I mean really pay attention. I check whats in it, how many carbs, how much Protein. I feel that I have a stake in my body, and am no longer controlled by my out of control binging.

9. I don't feel hungry. I don't feel obliged to stuff my face, for the first time. I actually care about the success of this process.

10. I wish I had done this a lot earlier (I am 57 years old)

11. I feel lighter in my mind & body. I am able to move around better, I am able to bend over and pick things up. I can feel the weight going. ITs the little things you notices, like on your love handles, or your belly shrinking, or you legs getting thinner. As of today I weigh in at 308 lbs

12. I made sure I read as much as I can and talked to others who've had the surgery. I built up my knowledge base. There's some great You Tube videos out there. They help.

13. I decided to just let the process move forward. I have stopped checking my weight every day, and now only do it once a week. I prevent myself from getting disappointed if I plateau, and we all do, so expect it, but don't panic, just stay focused and follow the new rules of eating.

14. I started to research health clubs & swimming pools. Water Aerobics appeals to me, with bikes and stuff at a gym to follow. I am going to pace myself.

15. My dog is now very happy with me, as I am now able to walk her twice a-day for at least an hour, and not be out of breath. I actually enjoy doing different routes each, taking on board any roads that have an incline. I have a lot more energy.

11. My type 2 diabetes has improved significantly almost from day 1 after surgery. My numbers are down to the 80's & 90's with the highest being in the low 100's. What food you put in really does make a difference too.

12. My clothes are now feeling a lot looser. Belt size has gone down a lot.

So finally, I'd say I am on the right track. To those waiting for surgery, stay calm, stay focused, don't be put off by those around you. We all have enables in same shape or fashion. To get this far it has taken a lot of courage and grit. You are doing the right thing. You are helping you, add value and years to your own life, as well as those aorund you. Be brave and stay strong. Be prepared, plan ahead and Dream Positive Dreams.

Peace, Love & Light.

congrats and keep up the good work! thats awesome!!

Congrats! Awesome job!

Hell there,
just wanted to share my experience. I am now in my second week post gastric sleeve surgery. I stared my weight loss on January 17, had surgery on February 5, 2018. Here's my observations about my body & mind so far:
1. My starting weight was 343 lbs (I am 6ft 3ins tall). Had surgery on February 5th, 2018 at Forest Hills Hospital, NY c/o Dr Alison Barrett (Great doctor by the way!).
3. The first two to three days were uncomfortable, without too much actual pain. Stayed overnight in hospital, rereleased end of 2nd day. Had a-slight spleen bled which doctor took care of. Had to crush my regular meds for the first two weeks.
4. Once I had started the pre diet, I went out and bought my self a 3 tier steamer, and steamed fish and loads of veggies. This really made a difference leading up to the two week official pre-op diet. Best purchase ever! Love the way food tastes. Yes, you actually taste things better when they are steamed.
5. I did all my 2nd stage food prep using a blender, mixing Proteins and steamed veggies then sealing them in small plastic containers before freezing them. Being prepared ahead saves you being stressed.
6. Once I started the diet, my mind & my body started to feel lighter. I really noticed the difference. I was determined to do this, and had nerves all the way until I was on the OR table. I was not going to let myself down by backing out. I stayed focused and remained resolute in my head. I had others around me who would question if I was doing the right thing, but I had to shut them out, and only listen to my determination talking.
7. I am about to go to stage 3 pureed food, but have already been able to tolerate some of the already prepped food. So I am sure I will be fine when I make the switch.
8. For the first time in my life, I now pay attention to food, I mean really pay attention. I check whats in it, how many carbs, how much Protein. I feel that I have a stake in my body, and am no longer controlled by my out of control binging.
9. I don't feel hungry. I don't feel obliged to stuff my face, for the first time. I actually care about the success of this process.
11. I feel lighter in my mind & body. I am able to move around better, I am able to bend over and pick things up. I can feel the weight going. ITs the little things you notices, like on your love handles, or your belly shrinking, or you legs getting thinner. As of today I weigh in at 308 lbs
12. I made sure I read as much as I can and talked to others who've had the surgery. I built up my knowledge base. There's some great You Tube videos out there. They help.
13. I decided to just let the process move forward. I have stopped checking my weight every day, and now only do it once a week. I prevent myself from getting disappointed if I plateau, and we all do, so expect it, but don't panic, just stay focused and follow the new rules of eating.
14. I started to research health clubs & swimming pools. Water Aerobics appeals to me, with bikes and stuff at a gym to follow. I am going to pace myself.
15. My dog is now very happy with me, as I am now able to walk her twice a-day for at least an hour, and not be out of breath. I actually enjoy doing different routes each, taking on board any roads that have an incline. I have a lot more energy.
11. My type 2 diabetes has improved significantly almost from day 1 after surgery. My numbers are down to the 80's & 90's with the highest being in the low 100's. What food you put in really does make a difference too.
So finally, I'd say I am on the right track. To those waiting for surgery, stay calm, stay focused, don't be put off by those around you. We all have enables in same shape or fashion. To get this far it has taken a lot of courage and grit. You are doing the right thing. You are helping you, add value and years to your own life, as well as those aorund you. Be brave and stay strong. Be prepared, plan ahead and Dream Positive Dreams.
Peace, Love & Light.

Way to go!! Thanks for the tips & bravo on your achievements!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the info! I keep second guessing myself while waiting for surgery! I’m 67 & questioning if I’m too old now. My surgeon says no so I’m waiting for surgery date!

7 minutes ago, Glammaw said:

Thanks for the info! I keep second guessing myself while waiting for surgery! I’m 67 & questioning if I’m too old now. My surgeon says no so I’m waiting for surgery date!

67 is not too old! You have. Lot of years ahead of you. I'm 53 and 3 weeks post op. Don't hesitate!!!!

1 hour ago, Glammaw said:

YOu are not too old, that was my worry too. You are doing something good for you. Stay focused, be brave.

Thanks for the responses! I need to do this for me. I had a lapband for eight years & lost 70 lbs. But I had problems starting at year two & had it removed. Back came the weight. I’m researching all I can while I’m waiting!

Hell there,
Peace, Love & Light.

Truly inspiring. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this and sharing the changes and encouraging us to stay the path. [emoji18]

On 2/15/2018 at 8:47 PM, NYC -D said:

Hell there,

Peace, Love & Light.

Had the same surgeon wonderful doctor. I am also 2 weeks post op.

Thank you so incredibly much for sharing this. I needed this today. I am having a hard time because everyone in my life is against me moving forward. It’s hard enough having an internal struggle, the external add to it too.

Remember you did this for you not for them. shake them off mentally, keep making your strides even if they are small steps they still count. You can and will do this, take pride in yourself. i of all people,know how hard it is,,i spent my whole life trying to please people until I wore myself out. Did they like me more for it? Nope I just became a soggy little doormat, you get weary of of having everybody wipe their feet,on you. Today is your day, live your life to the best,of your abilities. We[emoji307] you kid!

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2/17/2018 at 11:05 AM, Bmwboy said:

Had the same surgeon wonderful doctor. I am also 2 weeks post op.

Dr Barrett is a great doctor, very caring, as are her team. You are in good hands.