Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m Getting IUD-2months before Surgery

I have a history of horrendous cycles and I have an appointment Monday to finally get an IUD (Mirena). I told my surgeon of my plan at our first initial appointment and he said it would not be a concern. I’m really hoping this is the answer to all the issues I have with my cycle but at the same time I don’t want any interference with my Weight loss/VSG process. Just wondering if any of you ladies who have or have had IUD notice any changes since surgery. Should I wait to get the IUD til afterwards or go with my initial plan? I figure if my surgeon isn’t concern I shouldn’t be but I can’t help but wonder anyway.

I had the IUD after I had my surgery. Prior to my Pre-op, I was advised to get off my hormonal birth control (At the time was on Depot for Endometriosis).

I do not believe that the Mirena affects weight loss or weight gain like other birth controls do. I did not see any difference in my weight or it affecting my weight. However, everyone is different and it could affect your weight.

I don't believe that Mirena will affect your surgery or weight loss journey. Every type of birth control affects people differently. I hope it helps your cycles.

I don't believe that Mirena will affect your surgery or weight loss journey. Every type of birth control affects people differently. I hope it helps your cycles.

[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]thank you I really hope so too! It’s been a long time coming

I have a history of horrendous cycles and I have an appointment Monday to finally get an IUD (Mirena). I told my surgeon of my plan at our first initial appointment and he said it would not be a concern. I’m really hoping this is the answer to all the issues I have with my cycle but at the same time I don’t want any interference with my Weight loss/VSG process. Just wondering if any of you ladies who have or have had IUD notice any changes since surgery. Should I wait to get the IUD til afterwards or go with my initial plan? I figure if my surgeon isn’t concern I shouldn’t be but I can’t help but wonder anyway.

Please be careful with IUDs (Mirena in particular ) please research the side effects and pending lawsuits

I had mirena and it was terrible i had a cycle last two months ywo full months of heavy bleeding never would i recomend that iud it is terrible

Sent from my LGLS676 using BariatricPal mobile app

Not sure if you still want the option to have children but if you don’t, I had a procedure called Novasure to stop from having heavy periods every 15 days. It totally stopped my periods. It will permanently prevent pregnancy. It was the alternative to a hysterectomy and I got to keep all my hormone-making lady parts. Best thing I ever did.

I’m not even sexually active but my nutritionist suggested that I get on birth control anyway to try to make sure I regulate my hormones (period is regular but she said as insurance it will stay that way) and also because apparently most people get increased sex drives after surgery and they would prefer you not get pregnant in the first 18 months. I went to the OB/GYN this week and I was going to get an IUD but the doctor told me to opt for the implant instead because I haven’t had kids so the IUD could be painful, try to work its way back out, or poke holes in my cervix (yikes). So I go back in 2 weeks for my implant. Do whatever is going to work best for you. She did say some people gain a little weight with the implant but that being that I am having surgery I shouldn’t have that issue.