Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm torn. Gastric or Sleeve?

I had lapband in 2011. Got pregnant almost right away, finally years later had 2 fills. I have vomited almost daily now for years as well. After many life changes (divorce, new career, etc) I'm ready for me. I saw my surgeon today and had the 5cc's in my band taken out and I noticed the moment it was out. That pressure was gone but for me, it was normal. So I start my 6 month process of hoops now for the insurance. I'll be paying plenty out of pocket along with it but I'm torn. I was totally ready for Sleeve but now I'm wondering. Go big or go home? Enough screwing around and just do the gastric. My surgeon (same who did my band) agrees wholeheartedly on a revision but she herself said there is no winner. She thinks both would be fine since I'm not a heavy or sweet eater. I'm just scared and I have time but..... Any help? BTW, Back at the heaviest I have ever been, just not sure how to update my profile on here.

When I had my revision I thought go big or go home too, I did the sips/loop DS. I have zero regrets.

Whichever you choose, good luck to you!

If you have severe acid reflux (Gerd) it is best to go through RNY gastric bypass because the sleeve can make that condition worst. Other than that, you could go either way.

Might also depend on your age and the amount of stomach scarring your band left. I would guess the sleeve would be it based,on what you said. But that will be up to you and your surgeon. If I were your surgeon and of course I'm not, I would go,in with the plan to do a sleeve unless I would have to convert to some sort of bypass. I myself will be a Rn Y as it will match my needs better. It will,truly be up to the 2 of you, study up on both procedures, watch them both on You Tube, talk,it out with your surgeon, both are good surgeries. Each has their limitations but you truly want what is best for you and your future life. Good,luck with your decision.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for your replies. I was always so against bypass for me. But I'm actually leaning towards it as of now. Crazy. I'm excited regardless. A new journey :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I’ve never had any weight loss surgery but I’m in the same place... which do I choose- SLEEVE OR full GASTRIC??? My surgeon said either is fine and it’s up to me. That he could do either just as easily, the sleeve is just a shorter time wise surgery to for him. The gastric is reversible (not that that’s in my mind).

I’m a grazer & I am a HUGE sweet eater and with gastric I know sweets would cause dumping. And either surgery sweets would have to be cut out quick like. One month into my 6 month diet and I’m not doing well 🙁

Again I’m needing help with gastric and sleevers on reasoning for choosing those too 😁

Awe Stacy, you got this honey! Something that is sticking to me is what my surgeon said. Bypass helps with the eating of course but also the biology. Something contributes to obesity. Whatever it is (a million variables like thyroid, metabolism blah blah), bypass hits the serving size and helps with the bio. There's a cartoon type video on her website I would be happy to private message you to see if you're interested :-)

Consider the SIPS procedure. All the pluses of both surgeries with almost none of the negatives

I had it on 12/11 and my diabetes is gone and I’ve dropped 45# so far. BP is 120/58 and I can eat most foods. Heavy carbs makes me feel like crap. But I eat mist what I want just smaller portions and a lot of Protein Shakes. Good luck!

11 hours ago, NewStart95987 said:

Awe Stacy, you got this honey! Something that is sticking to me is what my surgeon said. Bypass helps with the eating of course but also the biology. Something contributes to obesity. Whatever it is (a million variables like thyroid, metabolism blah blah), bypass hits the serving size and helps with the bio. There's a cartoon type video on her website I would be happy to private message you to see if you're interested :-)

Yes please...

I think my biology, metabolism are a big reason I’m overweight

thanks

I think with a BMI above 50 bypass is at least to be considered if you are not in an area where you are close to a surgeon that performs the DS.

Many people are not comfortable with the more complicated procedures of bypass or DS but you can research if the surgeon has lots of experience doing either procedure.