Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leaving your job?

Anyone else that can’t wait to find a new job after they lose weight? Not necessarily to goal but enough to get confidence and look good in interview clothes.

I’ve overheard supervisors make snide comments about my size, have not been invited to lunches, after work events, meetings, passed over for promotions, wage increases, not given interviews for other jobs, etc.

I can’t frigging wait to start looking for something else. Just need to stay until after my surgery this year, hopefully in a few months, then I’m looking.

I’m sick of being the piss boy and getting treated like crap!

Isn’t it sad that that’s what people see as far as your value at work. Size has nothing to do with it.
I really want to find a job that travels, I’ve wanted to travel my whole life and when I lose the weight that will make it so much easier.

I'll be starting a new job in a few weeks. Wasn't looking but got "recruited" if you will by a company I used to do business with years ago. Don't hate my current job itself but hate being at a desk job. Super excited to get back to having a more active role in a company, and yes, not having to fight the extra weight and health problems I had makes it all the more exciting.

I'm not leaving my job (I've been with the company for 12 years and am a director now), but I can comment on this.

My team is wonderful (those above and below me), but since I have lost all of this weight, I have been treated very differently by other teams, departments, and divisions within my very large company.

Case in point -- I made a presentation at a sales meeting last fall. It was awesome, but I am always awesome. I had people at all levels (even SVPs and even people who had seen me present a million times) going completely crazy. And it was all over my new appearance.

That is really sad. If this had been going on within my team, it would be another story. I completely get what you are saying and wish you luck in finding something new.

1 hour ago, Todd_196 said:

Anyone else that can’t wait to find a new job after they lose weight? Not necessarily to goal but enough to get confidence and look good in interview clothes.

I’ve overheard supervisors make snide comments about my size, have not been invited to lunches, after work events, meetings, passed over for promotions, wage increases, not given interviews for other jobs, etc.

I can’t frigging wait to start looking for something else. Just need to stay until after my surgery this year, hopefully in a few months, then I’m looking.

I am sorry to hear that you're being treated so poorly at work but you're not alone. Since childhood, I have always wanted to work for a freight railroad as a conductor and eventually a locomotive engineer but was pretty much always overweight. Of course, in my present state I cannot do this but once the leaner and meaner me shines through, the door will be wide open. I hate my present job as a security guard. I look like the stupid, obese guard out of a movie with an ill-fitting uniform and no one takes me seriously. People snicker and I grow weary of it. It's time for me to do something that I want to do. I overheard one person say, "It's the dumbass, fat guard." I said, "Excuse me? I heard exactly what you said and if you don't apologize immediately I am going to report it as workplace harrassment." I got madder than a wet hornet.

I was planning on using my time off after surgery to find a better job although I don't have any particular grievances about my current position, but then my boss went and sent a large bouquet of flowers to my hospital room. I felt both appreciate and guilty so I held off on the job searching, although, I do still intend to move on this year.

I hear you, though. While I never really felt bullied at work because of my size, I know there has been certain opportunities I have missed out on because of it. All the best with finding your new job!

Most depressing and true thread ever!!! When you attend a job interview as an obese person, you can almost see their disappointment at your appearance. It’s terrible.

Oooooooo

A revenge job,

I like the way this sounds

Would it be in poor taste to start searching now, during post op go to interviews then resign at the end of your paid leave?

Companies need their just Desserts too...

Yeah, screw finding a boyfriend, I want a revenge job too!

Oooooooo
A revenge job,
I like the way this sounds
Would it be in poor taste to start searching now, during post op go to interviews then resign at the end of your paid leave?
Companies need their just Desserts too...

I'll definitely start looking now and work on getting the training I need. It'll probably be a bit loinger than just finding something while I'm out on leave. But I'm going to do the right thing and give proper notice.

Discipline isn't a war to be won, but rather a battle to be fought daily.

I moved across the country and got a new job a couple months after my surgery. It worked really well for me. Nobody at either job knows anything about my surgery.

I had a slight change if heart....briefly.

I did just get a decent raise a few days prior to me leaving for surgery. And, my team sent me a nice plant in a cool planter. But, I've been getting calls and texts while I'm on disability. That and I was shot down for a opening in a different department even though the manager of that department wanted me and asked specifically for me. Also, I work with my wife, shes in a different department but it's another stressor neither of us needs. So this week I believe I will be spiffing up my resume and looking for a new job.

I'm fed up and I need a new challenge.