Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever have a fill dissipate/dissolve???

It wasn't just the first time. I went back for three or four fills and every time there was almost nothing in the band. That's when he started using this other substance and my band has worked fine since then. The other thing is that my port was slightly tilted so he had a hard time hitting it the first time. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Now my port is so close to the skin and in perfect position, so it's not problem. The other substance he used is an FDA approved drug (not that I trust that so much anymore) so supposedly even if it leaked it would not be a problem. I don't remember him withdrawing air the first time, so maybe that was part of the problem. But I would think that by the third or fourth time the air should have been gone anyway.

About the band working without a fill: I had to have an unfill once for a few weeks and although I could eat much more than I should have been eating, I could not eat like I did before the band. There was still a small amount of restricton there.

Nancy

Pat,

My loss has slowed at this point. I lost zero pounds through the holidays -- but that was because of what I was eating. Getting back on track, I lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks, but some of that is probably Water. At 4 monts out I was still losing an average of 2 pounds per week. I don't really expect to return to that level.

It really doesn't matter that I don't have a fill. What matters is whether there is restriction. Having a decent amount of restriction and following a sensible bandster eating plan do the job!

I agree Becky! I have been trying to get back on track too. I didn't do too badly but was upset with myself for "giving in" to a few temptations. I was so "psyched" before then....and "focused".....so I am surprised I let it get to me.

What I did was start at "Day 1" literally - took out my post-op instructions and started with liquids for a couple days, then moved to the slightly mushy for a couple, then gradually built myself up to the solid foods....did this in the period of a week and seem to be doing better now....kinda took off the edge....

I think the "sensible bandster eating plan" is the best idea yet! I have subscribed to a couple bandster magazines and also bought a few books....and it helps.....and also, of course, with the help of all you AWESOME people on this site!!!

We can do it!! We have no choice but to succeed!!!

And we have to remember that the band is not MAGIC...it's a "TOOL" to help us back to a healthy lifestyle! ;)

Nancy*

Pat,

My loss has slowed at this point. I lost zero pounds through the holidays -- but that was because of what I was eating. Getting back on track, I lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks, but some of that is probably Water. At 4 monts out I was still losing an average of 2 pounds per week. I don't really expect to return to that level.

It really doesn't matter that I don't have a fill. What matters is whether there is restriction. Having a decent amount of restriction and following a sensible bandster eating plan do the job!

Went for my 3rd fill..and I was concerned about how much fill I had. I was told after my 2nd I had 2cc's. My first fill was done by Dr. Martinez 1.1 ccs and my 2nd was done by Ortiz . 9 for a total of 2 cc's so when I went in yesterday..I told Dr. Martinez I wanted to see if all of my fill was still there, he asked how much do I have I told him I was not going to tell him until he pulled out all of my fill...well it was right on. When he pulled out my fill he said I had 2 cc's then asked what I thought I had and I told him 2 cc's. So I asked why some think they have more fill then they really do and he confirmed that if the Dr. does not remove ALL of the air from the tubing from the FIRST fill..you will have less the next fill then you originally thought you had. Interesting..

Ive been racking my mind to think if my doctor removed all the air fom the tubing before giving me my first fill... and I dont think he did.

Michelle, maybe that IS why I "lost" .4cc's.

That IS interesting. Thanks for the update.

Thanks Michelle! Makes lots of sense now.....the restriction I am having now is what I probably SHOULD have had the first time!!!...What a difference!!!

Paula..if he did it..you would know it..it feels like someone is squeezing the air out of your chest from the inside out..Strangest sensation..I do not even know if I can explain the feeling properly. I have not felt it with the other 2 fills only the first one.

Rebecca I met a woman at Ortiz's office who had her surgery in April who was 10 lbs from goal and Monday 1/17 was just getting her first fill to ge the last 10 lbs off. You are one of the lucky ones , the less fills the better for the life of your band is what I was told. You havedone an amazing job ...Kudos to you girl!

I got my first fill two weeks ago 1cc and I have not noticed any difference in the amount of food I can intake, I think I can actually eat more, or I am craving more of the foods I shouldn't eat. I had lost 24lbs since my surgery in NOvember, but I gained 5 lbs after my fill, what's going on??? I have started excercising and hopefully that will boost my metabolism, because I have had no weight loss at all this week and I want to get to my goal weight by my birthday in April, I have started saving money to get a Tummy Tuck, my skin is so loose it's disgusting. Maybe I'll get butt implants too, cause baby ain't got any back left, I think that is the first thing I lost, now its just wide and flat. LOL

Banded Nov. 5, 2004

Dr. Ernesto Castellanos (Reynosa Mexico)

weight lost to date 18lbs.

That's a pretty tall order, getting to goal in 6 months. How much excess weight are you wanting to lose? You do know that with the band the average weight loss is 5-10 per month? This does not mean you have a guaranteed loss of 5-10 per month, this means in the end, you will have 'averaged' 5-10lbs per month. Some months more, some months less.

It may be that with exercise you have gained some muscle? Muscle weighs heavier than fat, so you could actually show a gain. In which case, you'd still show some inches lost due to 'compacting'. Try measuring yourself to keep up with the inches you are losing. This may help you to not become disappointed when the scale doesn't seem to be moving. Also, try ONLY weighing once a week. We all fluctuate 3-5lbs per day anyway. I know I sure do.

Another thing to consider. If you started out with a very low BMI, your weight loss will likely be slower than someone who started out with a higher BMI. :) Sorry....

18lbs is smack dab in the middle of average!! You're doing well!!

I have to confess something --I have been avoiding mentioning my start weight, because I did not have as much to lose as some of you, I started at 190lbs, since I am only 5'2" that was too much weight for me, after trying diet after diet and diet pills after diet pills my whole life, I decided to take this alternative, some people think I took the easy way out, but in reality they have no idea, how hard this is and what a tough lifestyle choice this has been for me. I can honestly say that this has changed my life for the better, I now only eat what I need to eat --I don't stuff myself just because I'm lonely, depressed or mad or even happy, I am learning to eat the right foods and to take my time eating and enjoy my meals. I too am making smarter food choices for my children, so that they will not have to go through my experience of being overweight. There wasn't a day in my life in which I didn't hate myself. I am now learning to love myself and to love the way I am starting to look, I have been overweight my whole entire life and as you all know people can be cruel and when you have been told your whole life that you are fat, it hurts, I remember in six grade my classmates called me Miss Piggy and although I think Miss PIggy is beautiful, it hurt that they made fun of me, so I have always hated being fat and at 32 I see how other people that take care of themselves have more enjoyable lives, I want to be healthy and feel good about myself and the way I look, I know I will never be a skinny person and that is quite fine, but I think that if I can get to 140 lbs, I will be happy with myself. I wantThank you for all your encouragement and you are right, April is right around the corner and I will probablly not get to my ideal weight by then, but I am happy today cause I did get messured today at Curves and I have lost in inches, and the scale actually shows a weight loss of 7 more pounds, I weigh 167. I am working hard at getting to my goal weight so that I can start enjoying my life. I am so sore, I worked out with my personal trainer last night, and since I hadn't been going due to going on vacation, I am really, really sore today. I really appreciate all the advice that I receive on this board, this has been a true blessing for me, you all are so awesome, I do get a little jelouse of you all sometimes, because you have lost so much weight, I wish I too could shed the pounds in that manner, but as you said the weight will come off slower, but hopefully by the end of this year I can be at my goal, I have to tell you something that touched my heart last night, I was headed out to go work out and my three year old little girl asked where I was going, without thinking I blurted out, that I was going to work out so that I could lose weight and be beautiful and she looked at me kind of confused and said, "but mommy you already are beautiful." That just made my day, I wish that we were all beautiful in everyone's eyes, not just children, don't you just love their innocence and sincerity.

Thanks again for your advice.

Love, Estela

Well, I think it takes a lot of guts to come out with that confession and being 5ft tall, I too, understand how hard 190 can be on such a small stature. I also understand how 190 can balloon up to 250 in only a matter of time (and bad habits). I commend you for taking your health in your hands and congratulations on your weight and inches lost!! You're doing the right things, just don't be so hard on yourself. Any loss is better than no loss, right? Now, we wanna see those before and afters. :)

I had the same thing happen to me! I had my first fill at 2cc and I felt a little restriction for a week and then nothing after that. I had to go back to the doctor to see what was wrong. He said that I had no restriction so he filled it to 4cc now I think it's a little to tight, but Im going to wait it out. It's only been a week.

Estela, I'm 5'3" and was a lot heavier than you. You've done very well! You need to remember your family loves you for the real you (inside and out). That precious little girl was just telling you the truth, from her heart.