Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going on year 6

Haven't posted in a long while. I am approaching 6 years post op. I have had lots of ups and downs. Generally I am pleased and I have not put weight back on. I was about 350 prior to surgery and I float in between 160 and 170 pounds. Eating is still a struggle but its something you learn to deal with. I hope everyone is doing well and receiving the support that is needed. If I can help anyone the way that I was helped and supported by this forum, I would gladly help.

Haven't posted in a long while. I am approaching 6 years post op. I have had lots of ups and downs. Generally I am pleased and I have not put weight back on. I was about 350 prior to surgery and I float in between 160 and 170 pounds. Eating is still a struggle but its something you learn to deal with. I hope everyone is doing well and receiving the support that is needed. If I can help anyone the way that I was helped and supported by this forum, I would gladly help.

Thanks for posting. Can you expand upon eating still being a struggle? Is it just a struggle sticking to good food choices or something else?

Sent from my SM-S907VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Im good on my diet and not eating like crap. The issue is the textures of foods, the smells, the amounts vary from day to day with the amount that I can eat.

It is a constant, daily task and adjustment to make. There is no simple guideline or answer. Things change and you have to be able to flow with it. One thing that I have learned is that a good support system is needed so that you aren't on an island completely alone. You will feel that you are on a island alone though!

I agree. Depression and mental health play a huge part in your recovery process. Its amazing how your mood can dictate how much or how little you can eat and things like that. I used to eat when i was depressed now If I am feeling down or something eating becomes a chore. I didnt notice at first.

Do you think that your level of hydration has any play in the amount you can eat from day to day?

Congrat btw!!!

On 2/14/2018 at 5:08 AM, goldenbarbie said:

Wow awesome! I’m 14 months post opp. I still struggle with getting in simple Water and Protein. Did you have any of those problems? If so how did you over come

Yea, I cant eat and drink at the same time without purging or getting super full. Personally and after all of these years I still cant eat a full meal. It sucks at times but ive adapted. I can consume liquids it needs to be a while before and after I eat.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:49 PM, FluffyChix said:

Do you think that your level of hydration has any play in the amount you can eat from day to day?

Congrat btw!!!

Hydration isnt a problem for me. I can drink liquids but it has to be before or after i eat never at the same time.

On 2/13/2018 at 3:05 PM, ScoobyKnows said:

How are your portion sizes on a good day? Could you eat a 6 oz steak?

Sent from my SM-S907VL using BariatricPal mobile app

I'd stay away from beef. I myself havent eaten beef in about 15 years. Lean meats are easily digested as compared to red meat. However getting enough Protein from food will always be a struggle. I can eat about 4 chicken drummies about 1.5 maybe 2 whole chicken wings.

Thank you, for sharing you story. I am 1yr and 7 months from my sleeve surgery and my biggest fear is gaining weight, but hearing everything you said about support is very important.

Congratulations! This is my goal! To keep the weight off forever. You are very good motivation. And proof that the weight can stay off . If we do what we need to do to keep it off.

2 hours ago, watsongirl17 said:

Congratulations! This is my goal! To keep the weight off forever. You are very good motivation. And proof that the weight can stay off . If we do what we need to do to keep it off.

for sure 🙏🏾

2 hours ago, laney said:

Thank you, for sharing you story. I am 1yr and 7 months from my sleeve surgery and my biggest fear is gaining weight, but hearing everything you said about support is very important.

You will lose the weight for sure. Congrats on your journey