Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regaining after 3 years post-op

1511572305476.jpgUgh, the f-ing struggle of weight lost. I'm close to 3 years out from getting the sleeve and my God have I went back to my old eating ways. Yes, this is a struggle, and if you are a food addict like me, then you might want to read this.

I weighed 276 the day of surgery. To some that might not seem like a lot but being only 5 feet tall I looked like a rolling bowling ball. I hated carrying all that weight around so I decided to go f oror wls. I was so proud of going through with the surgery, and in the first year I lost 80 pounds. Down to 190 my second year I was even more determined to lose more weight. I worked out at least twice a week faithfully and monitored what I ate. I really didn't count calories (which I should have been doing) because I didn't eat that much. I got down to my lowest at 158, but I started to faint regularly. Come to find out, I couldn't maintain that weight partly because I wasn't taking my daily Vitamins (Shocker!) I was sick as hell, and started over-eating trying to refuel my body, but all I needed was my vitamins. My weight started to increase and now I'm at 182. I love candy and chocolate, and Cookies and sweets, It's my biggest down fall. And when I get stressed, it's even worse. I started to substitute my Snacks for meals to cut calories because I wanted snacks more than healthy food. Empty calories are the worst (Don't do it). So now I'm doing damage control. I've gained a solid 20 pounds and this year is my year to lose what I've gained plus some. I refuse to get over 185 so I workout like crazy now. I've done wrong and I need to get back on track. It's so easy to lose sight of why you've had the surgery, and this is my reminder that the surgery is only a tool, I have to do the hard work.... Watching what I put in my mouth. My goal this year is to get down to 150 and maintain. Now I take my vitamins daily, vit D, calcium citrate and a daily Vitamin. They have really helped me because I started to have muscle and joint pain and couldn't work out as well. Pain got so bad I went to urgent Care for it and the Doc told me to go home and take my supplements (Haha!) So if you're a newbie learn from my mistakes, don't lose track and keep pushing. I know I can do this, I just gotta remind myself of how great I am.

Sent from my Z982 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm only a year out but that fear of regain is always in my mind. I know 100% that WLS is only a tool and it still comes down to me making the right decisions on what to eat. Being on the forum helps keep me focused and gives me some sort of accountability.

Thanks for sharing your story and good luck to you!

It is indeed a tool and a very powerful one at that! I feel ya on the regain, (soft hug) I'm three months out and the depression has been awful my anti-depressant hasn't been absorbing as it should so I'm up to 120 mg 60 mg in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. So much of what I did involve food when I was irritated when I was upset when someone or something annoyed me. etc. Keep on the good path, don't beat yourself up, do what you need to do, what you know you need to do. And well done.

Girl, I feel ya!! I am 4 yrs out. HW 282, LW 155, CW 180. I hate it!! I hate myself and it’s the only thing I think about but, I can not get rid of my fat brain. Every morning I say I’m staying on track and there is always one thing that slips and I mess up.
I’m here for you. Message me anytime. We all need the support because this is a different life and no one without the surgery (sleeve here as well) understand the frustration and daily battle.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm 6 months out and below my personal goal weight...we all need this reminder that surgery is just one part of the journey. We need to conquer our minds daily to beat this struggle. It's a life long journey.

VSG 10/11/17
HW = 360
SW = 292
GW = 220 3/7/18
CW = 215.8 (6'5") [emoji256]

On 2/12/2018 at 7:06 PM, DiaBaby said:

1511572305476.jpgUgh, the f-ing struggle of weight lost. I'm close to 3 years out from getting the sleeve and my God have I went back to my old eating ways. Yes, this is a struggle, and if you are a food addict like me, then you might want to read this.

I weighed 276 the day of surgery. To some that might not seem like a lot but being only 5 feet tall I looked like a rolling bowling ball. I hated carrying all that weight around so I decided to go f oror wls. I was so proud of going through with the surgery, and in the first year I lost 80 pounds. Down to 190 my second year I was even more determined to lose more weight. I worked out at least twice a week faithfully and monitored what I ate. I really didn't count calories (which I should have been doing) because I didn't eat that much. I got down to my lowest at 158, but I started to faint regularly. Come to find out, I couldn't maintain that weight partly because I wasn't taking my daily Vitamins (Shocker!) I was sick as hell, and started over-eating trying to refuel my body, but all I needed was my Vitamins. My weight started to increase and now I'm at 182. I love candy and chocolate, and Cookies and sweets, It's my biggest down fall. And when I get stressed, it's even worse. I started to substitute my Snacks for meals to cut calories because I wanted Snacks more than healthy food. Empty calories are the worst (Don't do it). So now I'm doing damage control. I've gained a solid 20 pounds and this year is my year to lose what I've gained plus some. I refuse to get over 185 so I workout like crazy now. I've done wrong and I need to get back on track. It's so easy to lose sight of why you've had the surgery, and this is my reminder that the surgery is only a tool, I have to do the hard work.... Watching what I put in my mouth. My goal this year is to get down to 150 and maintain. Now I take my vitamins daily, vit D, calcium citrate and a daily Vitamin. They have really helped me because I started to have muscle and joint pain and couldn't work out as well. Pain got so bad I went to urgent Care for it and the Doc told me to go home and take my supplements (Haha!) So if you're a newbie learn from my mistakes, don't lose track and keep pushing. I know I can do this, I just gotta remind myself of how great I am.

Sent from my Z982 using BariatricPal mobile app

You did it before you can get it back down again. We are right here with you.

Yup. You gotta kick your own ass and start making good decisions! There's a reason you had this major surgery to begin with!

I’m feeling similarly at the moment. I had the sleeve surgery 5 years ago and while I dropped a lot of weight initially but then fell back into food addiction habits as my depression got worse. Now I’m only 30 lbs under where I started 5 years ago. Looking for tips and support on how to get back on track. I really appreciate it

Welcome to the boards. The struggle to revert to old methods and coping skills involving food and making unhealthy food choices is real!!! As everyone says, they operate on our tummies, not our brains! Damn you brains! LOL.

The great news is this is a super place. You will get support and you may also get some kicks in the booty! :D I can def. relate to eating crap preferentially over healthy Protein and a veg. The crap gives us a dopamine and seratonin dump that releases oxytocin, the feel good hormone--just like drugs and alcohol do for us (in the same area of the brain -- the pleasure center).

The even greater thing is that you KNOW what to do to get back on track. Take it one day at a time. Thank you for posting and being so honest. This really does illustrate that the struggle and temptation is life long. ((hugs)) You CAN do this. I will be cheering for your success!

One reason I refuse to do a carb restricted diet....is that I know I can't do it for a lifetime....I feel like crap without carbs. If I do Keto? I know myself enough to know that eventually I'll fall off that wagon.

I have adjusted to healthy carbs, though, and have even learned to love them:)

We all have some things that we know are our Achilles heels.

I don't want to give my Achilles heel leverage in my life anymore.

All the habits I'm building right now...I'm building on the basis of....this is a lifetime change.

This is a diet I can love for a lifetime. This is a diet I will never feel deprived on while I'm eating it.

It's hard to build your forever diet. But I'm hopeful.

I'm tired of diet fatigue...where I push, push, push, until I break....because of my unrealistic expectations.

I'm tired of deprivation until goal...it doesn't work. You starve yourself until hit goal and you go....Finally, I can EAT! And then you screw yourself. It's crazy.

This time around I'm going slow and steady, I'm keeping my expectations sane, and letting myself enjoy every meal, every little victory, every stall. LOL:)

For the first time, I really feel like I'm going to succeed for a lifetime.

Because I am so done with that diet yoyo ****. f**k that.

I love my forever diet. it makes me feel strong, happy, and like success....is inevitable. Even if it takes a while.