Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and Nervous!!!

Hey guys, finally looked myself in the mirror and have made the decision to get the sleeve. Years and years of being a big guy my whole life, I’m excited, and nervous as hell about a life without limitations because of weight. A huge hurdle for me is the cutting out carbonated drinks and pizza, Pasta, rice or my diet. I love to have an occasional beer in the summer time. Just being the end all be all of cold turkey has me scratching my head If I can do this. Of course I want to be successful, but I want to be happy, and not have these ravenous cravings other weight loss attempts have produced... I’m looking forward to linking up with anyone and everyone to share experiences, and like concerns. Hope everyone has a fantastic evening!

Justin

Hey guys, finally looked myself in the mirror and have made the decision to get the sleeve. Years and years of being a big guy my whole life, I’m excited, and nervous as hell about a life without limitations because of weight. A huge hurdle for me is the cutting out carbonated drinks and pizza, Pasta, rice or my diet. I love to have an occasional beer in the summer time. Just being the end all be all of cold turkey has me scratching my head If I can do this. Of course I want to be successful, but I want to be happy, and not have these ravenous cravings other weight loss attempts have produced... I’m looking forward to linking up with anyone and everyone to share experiences, and like concerns. Hope everyone has a fantastic evening!
Justin

I have the same concerns. For the last 20 years I have lost weight many times and always gained it back. I know it's going to hard, but I feel being over weight and all that comes with it is hard as well. Good luck. My surgery is not until August.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have the same concerns. For the last 20 years I have lost weight many times and always gained it back. I know it's going to hard, but I feel being over weight and all that comes with it is hard as well. Good luck. My surgery is not until August.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

You have a friend here, glad I found this app to connect with people going through the same things as me.

You both will do great !!! It will be the best decision you will make. I had my surgery in November of 2016 lost 103 pounds and loving life, my activity level is more then I ever imagined. Start with small changes now and make sure to incorporate exercise in your journey. Wishing you both much success 🤗

opps just noticed my stats are old, guess I need to update haven’t been on much. Good luck and much success and questions I would love to help.

Im in a fairly similar boat, the names Big man and big fella have been so common for me that i dont even really notice them anymore. One of the biggest thing i have found is that i started a diet change slowly and worked in some of the requirements like stopping soda and breads and Pasta and pizza. So in the last 2 weeks i have pretty much cut all of those from my diet, and while the first few days were really tough once you get over that hump you will be surprised how easy it gets and how much better you feel. In the last 3 weeks i have lost 15 lbs by doing those steps alone (i weigh in again tomorrow). But by making those changes now when the time comes and you are simply not allowed those things it wont be as big a deal.

Welcome aboard! I am also new to this site, I've been in the process now since May of 2017 and am currently just waiting insurance approval before surgery scheduling.

Hi, all Big Guys!!

First the canned answer; Everybody has those fears going into this. Your very best best is to plan on sticking to your weight loss plan until you are AT goal....after that, most people seem to find that eating their "new" way 90% of the time lets them have the occasional indulgence a couple of times a week, and allows them to maintain and not feel deprived. There's nothing that you'll never, ever be able to have again...those things just won't be part of your daily lifestyle. And anything carbonated is going to be very difficult for a long time. I would say this though....if you think you have a "sweet tooth" now, there's a great chance you have a full-blown sugar addiction. That's something I never heard of until after my surgery, but it's a real, scientifically proven thing. So that's a sneaky, slippery slope to watch VERY closely for.

Now, the answer from my son's perspective: At 6'4" and a high weight of somewhere around 380-385, having been a Big Guy since 3rd grade, he had his VSG 2 1/2 years ago. He followed the rules closely and lost very quickly...maybe too quickly, because he lost a crap-ton of his muscle and strength, too. Had a difficult time for the first few months getting enough Protein in. But the end result is that at age 29, he now weighs around 190 with all of his skin still there....probably be about 180 without it. Too skinny when you're 6'4" and can wear a size 32 jeans (but wears a 34 because of the skin)....BUT, now that leaves him with the opportunity to build back up from there, the way HE wants to....

Where was I going with this?....Oh yeah, I think it was more of a cheerleading thing LOL... just know that you're in for the most exciting ride of your life, you have SO much to look forward to, and refer back to paragraph I, keep all that in mind, and you'll see huge success. :) And good luck!!

Edited by Stacy160

I have been into BBQ, smoking, and cooking for many years and worried that this would impact my love of food and doing those activities. I can assure you it has not diminished my love of doing that. I just don't eat as much of it when I do cook it.

You mentioned pizza, and I am a nut for pizza - including baking it in my pellet smoker that makes it come out just like it was in a wood fired italian brick oven. I am just past 3 months post op...and I have had pizza...but I do not eat a whole one by myself. I will eat a couple bites, then just eat some of the toppings. I maybe can eat a slice...but find I don't want to eat the crust and breading. It just takes up space and doesn't feel good in the gut...and that is a good thing. I still enjoy good food, just much less of it in a single sitting.

I have sandwiches now, but only a few normal bites, then just eat the Proteins. It is nice to have the mouth feel of crunch of bread or chips...but I don't crave eating a whole giant sub, or multiple burgers or sandwiches.

The mentality around eating has completely changed...and I love it. I still consider myself a foodie at heart, but not in the "gotta eat it all" type of mentality.

I had the sleeve + duodenal switch done in November last year, and I am down 75lbs. I have had to redo my wardrobe 3 times already and love every minute of it. I have been a big guy forever, and now able to buy clothes in a normal store and it is the most amazing thing ever. Giving away clothes every month or so is the best thing ever (not great on the wallet, but the money I save on food covers it).

Oh, and the best thing I have done with this journey - keeping a log. I track my size through a free app - "Body Sizes" where I measure each week. Then the big hit is that I take a photo every week (like my profile pic) - same clothes, same background - and see the difference every week.

I could see the difference just in the pre-op diet. Now when I look back, it is amazing. Even my 4 year old son when seeing my side by side photo (free "PicSplit" app) - he doesn't even recognize me from 3 months ago!!

I have done some timelapse streams with my weekly photos, and that just motivates me more and more.

I can't wait to see what the rest of this year brings.