Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We will all tell you it gets better, and the best thing at this point is to stay hydrated and ensure you stick to your Vitamins daily and you meet your suggested Protein mark.

Thank you.... You all are really instilling alot of hope.... I guess 2 weeks post op it's hard to see the pros due to all the crappy feelings of surgery.... I'm excited to see what life holds.... Just don't want to completely not enjoy a meal or rice etc... I'm Puerto Rican lol we love our food and that will never change.... I just hope that smaller portions doesn't turn into not eating my Hispanic food etc

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using BariatricPal mobile app

There is 100% hope, you’re in the buyer’s remorse phase, but it will pass and you’ll start to feel better and see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Oh honey I understand, I’m Mediterranean and we love our food too (that’s how I got into this mess to begin with!). You will be able to eat your traditional foods in time; all is not lost with this surgery I assure you. I’m eating tiny amounts of rice and Pasta as per my nutritionist’s instructions and I’m tolerating it fine. I can’t eat a sickening amount, but what I can eat, I thoroughly enjoy.
There is hope - just give yourself some time to adjust, heal, and recover. Stay hydrated as much as you can, drink and eat your Proteins, and take those vitamins! [emoji846] And do consult with your surgeon for any ongoing concerning issues.

Thank for responding, I'm trying to hang in there....I guess if I could just drink more water....is it easier with a straw? I see that's what alot of ppl ere use...is it for the pressure?

I sleeved on Jan 30th and even tho they told me not to use a straw I still did because that’s the only way I can get my Water down...

5 hours ago, Jmh04416 said:

See I was wondering If the hernia repair played a part in it... If they did tighten it too much could he fix that?

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes they can. My surgeon says he would rather have to go in and add a stick versus go in and loosen it up. Just a thought. Good luck to you.

Hi

I am 12 days out and I had the same feelings and issues with Water. I took one day to measure out exactly what I was supposed to drink and kept at it. I set the timer for 5 minutes and I would take a sip. It was amazing what this one day did for me. It was like a turning point. The data I read said 39% of patients return to the hospital for dehydration. I wasn't going to be one of those people!!

Edited by Beck53

Yes they can. My surgeon says he would rather have to go in and add a stick versus go in and loosen it up. Just a thought. Good luck to you.

May I ask what you mean by adding a stick?

Sincerely, Johanna

There is 100% hope, you’re in the buyer’s remorse phase, but it will pass and you’ll start to feel better and see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Oh honey I understand, I’m Mediterranean and we love our food too (that’s how I got into this mess to begin with!). You will be able to eat your traditional foods in time; all is not lost with this surgery I assure you. I’m eating tiny amounts of rice and Pasta as per my nutritionist’s instructions and I’m tolerating it fine. I can’t eat a sickening amount, but what I can eat, I thoroughly enjoy.
There is hope - just give yourself some time to adjust, heal, and recover. Stay hydrated as much as you can, drink and eat your Proteins, and take those vitamins! [emoji846] And do consult with your surgeon for any ongoing concerning issues.

Thank you so much! Hearing these words of encouragement and hope is really helping! I did this surgery to help with portions etc but not to completely give up on all the foods I love! Or even water! There is a fine line between eating healthy and in moderation and depriving myself and I refuse the latter and don't really think it's healthy.... Least not for someone like me

Sincerely, Johanna

53 minutes ago, Jmh04416 said:

May I ask what you mean by adding a stick?

Sincerely, Johanna

Crap typo. Stitch is what I meant. It’s easier to add a stitch

I'll just say what others have said--the first month is not fun. And I took forever to get anywhere near my Water goals. But after six months, I can eat just about anything--just not nearly as much, and I'm well aware of what I should be eating, so I focus on the Protein, protein, protein. The other day, though, I realized that I was eating "normal" Breakfast foods--just half as much as I used to eat. Not a bad thing to realize!

Hang in there. It will get better, definitely.

It will pass - give it time. I was frustrated that I couldn't chug a bottle of Water to catch up to my hydration goals, but it just takes time to get used to taking smaller sips over time.

DO NOT PUSH to get back to big chugs - you will just stretch yourself back out again, negating the surgery you just had.

I cannot eat a whole sandwich (just over 3 months out), but I don't care anymore. I used to worry about that, now I love the fact that I don't eat it all. I eat a couple bites with the bread, then pick out the Proteins and eat as much of it as I can. I love that I have a few chips with a sandwich now to get the crunch...but I cannot eat a whole bag with a meal.

The fact that every week I take a new photo, and see my body changing - that is my motivation! Every day I find myself feeling my arms, legs, neck or some part of my body and finding I can feel bones and structure to my body that I never have felt in my life. I can see definition in my cheek bones now, shoulder blades, etc. I used to be into body building in my college years, and was at 2-5% bodyfat, but at over 300lbs. I was a hulk, and loved that look then...but it is different now. I don't want that look, because I love the fact I can go into a normal store, and buy normal size clothes...and I couldn't even dream of that 3 months ago. Well slap my ass and call me Sally - I will take that any day!

I too had days of regret and thinking to myself, **** I could have eaten less and not had all this pain - yeah right. I have been kidding myself for years with that one.

It just takes time, and over that time, whether you want to or not, you will be losing weight. Take weekly photos and measure yourself weekly like I do. You will be SHOCKED at the difference. It is not that noticeable trying to look day by day, but go a week or a month and you will be motivated.

It will pass - give it time. I was frustrated that I couldn't chug a bottle of Water to catch up to my hydration goals, but it just takes time to get used to taking smaller sips over time.
DO NOT PUSH to get back to big chugs - you will just stretch yourself back out again, negating the surgery you just had.
I cannot eat a whole sandwich (just over 3 months out), but I don't care anymore. I used to worry about that, now I love the fact that I don't eat it all. I eat a couple bites with the bread, then pick out the Proteins and eat as much of it as I can. I love that I have a few chips with a sandwich now to get the crunch...but I cannot eat a whole bag with a meal.
The fact that every week I take a new photo, and see my body changing - that is my motivation! Every day I find myself feeling my arms, legs, neck or some part of my body and finding I can feel bones and structure to my body that I never have felt in my life. I can see definition in my cheek bones now, shoulder blades, etc. I used to be into body building in my college years, and was at 2-5% bodyfat, but at over 300lbs. I was a hulk, and loved that look then...but it is different now. I don't want that look, because I love the fact I can go into a normal store, and buy normal size clothes...and I couldn't even dream of that 3 months ago. Well slap my ass and call me Sally - I will take that any day!
I too had days of regret and thinking to myself, **** I could have eaten less and not had all this pain - yeah right. I have been kidding myself for years with that one.
It just takes time, and over that time, whether you want to or not, you will be losing weight. Take weekly photos and measure yourself weekly like I do. You will be SHOCKED at the difference. It is not that noticeable trying to look day by day, but go a week or a month and you will be motivated.

I love this! Thank you so much! I'm hanging in there and already 2 weeks post op my pants are falling off! So excited

Sincerely, Johanna

I was satisfied when I purchased size 34 jeans during Christmas, have not seen that size since high school. Today, those jeans do not fit anymore and I need smaller ones. I agree with Javanut, the changes will happen over time, we did not get into our situations overnight and it will take time to reverse the hands of time relatively speaking. I am a huge believer in physical conditioning and can not emphasize enough, the importance it will play in our healing process. In addition to sticking to our diets of high Protein and Multivitamins, the two efforts enhance our desired results after the surgery.

I had my surgery 1/3/18 and I felt the same as you. It gets better. I learned to slow down when eating even that small amount. Set your timer for the 20 min, it makes a huge difference I no longer get that chest pain if I do that. I find that if I eat something too fast I will get the feeling you described. Also with time you will be able to drink more Water. I can drink a cup of water almost regularly now. It's a learning process, give your body and mind time to process all the new changes