Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The first month is pretty damned rough for a lot of us. I had complications and the first 3 weeks were, well, hell. But, I'm a year out and can say I have no regrets at all.

Can I eat a small plate of food? Yes and no. You'll learn how different foods will fill you up. If I'm eating some type of slider food I can probably get 1-2 cups of food in depending on what it is. Other times it's a single cup and that's all I can manage. The next couple months are going to be a learning experience. Some things will frustrate you initially, but you will learn to work through it. Drinking will get back to normal for you. I mean I can't pound down a 44 oz diet soda like I did in the old days, but I can take a pretty decent sized gulp of Water now and it doesn't bother me.

It's pretty normal to have some feelings of regret, especially if you're dealing with pain and difficulty in getting anything down. Try to keep your focus on the long run. I know this phase is pretty depressing but it truly does get better. Once you get past this initial hump and then can start transitioning to regular foods you'll see things start to improve quickly with your outlook and attitude. Hang in there. This will pass.

6 hours ago, Jmh04416 said:

hi I'm about 2 weeks post-op. I feel like ever since I had surgery I've done nothing but regret it. the more I think about things the more I start to feel like this was a big mistake. I've been having chest pressure when I drink or eat anything. I'm on soft foods and no matter what I eat it feels like it there's just a huge lump in my chest. Then I begin to feel like I want to burp but nothing is coming up. I'm so thirsty and want to just take two big chugs of Water and I can barely take 2 sips without it feeling tight. I had a hiatal hernia repair also with my sleeve. I've been getting depressed because right now I feel hopeless . I don't ever see myself having a normal sip of Water again....i knew I'd have to eat smaller portions but will I ever be able to finish a whole damn sandwich again? This feels like torture and I'm terrified that things won't get better. I want to have a normal life and now I feel I just screwed myself. To not even be able to drink normally again? What have I done? 😥😢

My question is, can u drink normally now? Can you have a small plate of food or are you still eating like a baby bird? When or does it get better? Does this pressure from drinking or eating virtually nothing ever go away? (I can also describe the feeling like a stuck burp)...

I didn't do this so that I can have a tablespoon of food every meal. I just wanted portion control.... but not like this....it's torture...I'm so sad and regretful

Please tell me it gets better :(

It's buyer's remorse. We all have been there in that first month. Honestly, it gets better. I can drink more now. I have a small plate. I eat in small sections and I pace myself. When I look at how much I could eat my first month versus now. I am still in shock. Granted I cannot eat like a normal person anymore but the portion size has increased. 1 Cup of low starchy vegetables and 3 oz of meat is what I can eat in 30 minutes.

I made a video about it back then: https://youtu.be/CTpNC77HeXU

Edited by Sleeve1stFitNext

Thank you so much! I didn't realize this post posted twice lol my apologies, but I really am starting to feel more hopeful thanks to all you who have commented on either post. I guess I'm just going through the normal regret stage... Just so hard... I feel like maybe I wasn't fully prepared to have it and now I'm learning all kinds of things I maybe should have been awate of

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using BariatricPal mobile app

It's buyer's remorse. We all have been there in that first month. Honestly, it gets better. I can drink more now. I have a small plate. I eat in small sections and I pace myself. When I look at how much I could eat my first month versus now. I am still in shock. Granted I cannot eat like a normal person anymore but the portion size has increased. 1 Cup of low starchy vegetables and 3 oz of meat is what I can eat in 30 minutes.
I made a video about it back then:

Omg this is so me right now to the T! Just so depressed.... I feel like I'm grieving food!

You sound exactly like I did up until a few days ago when I was cleared to eat normally. I promise you it gets better and you will be able to take decent mouthfuls of Water. I’m only 3.5 weeks post op and can already drink very comfortably and I’m eating normal food. I can’t gorge or eat excessively but I eat one baked chicken wing and one 1 inch piece of white fish and I’m full - happily content and full! I never imagined I would get to a place of feeling “normal” again and I cried almost every single day because I felt sick. My heart skipped every single time I ate or drank anything, my chest was heavy, I’d get “stuck” feelings constantly but it has all passed.

Please hang in there - you’re still only 10 days out and very fresh! Be kind to yourself and let your body recover with time. I promise this alien-like feeling will pass and you’ll feel great again. I strongly suggest you contact your clinic and chat with the nurse there or the surgeon, they really do offer great help and reassurance.

You will be just fine, it’s still early days and you’re still raw xoxo reach out if you need to chat

Thank you.... You all are really instilling alot of hope.... I guess 2 weeks post op it's hard to see the pros due to all the crappy feelings of surgery.... I'm excited to see what life holds.... Just don't want to completely not enjoy a meal or rice etc... I'm Puerto Rican lol we love our food and that will never change.... I just hope that smaller portions doesn't turn into not eating my Hispanic food etc

If it continues see your surgeon. They could have possibly tightened you up to much with the hernia repair. Also slow down with your eating and drinking as when you spit to fast you will get pressure in the chest. Also invest in gas-x, my friend swears by it.

If it continues see your surgeon. They could have possibly tightened you up to much with the hernia repair. Also slow down with your eating and drinking as when you spit to fast you will get pressure in the chest. Also invest in gas-x, my friend swears by it.

See I was wondering If the hernia repair played a part in it... If they did tighten it too much could he fix that?

It will Pass!!!! One Year out and I Drink as much as I want and sometimes miss those first few months where the scale moved lower everyday. You are going to be so excited 4 months from now when your whole wardrobe has changed at least 4 or 5 times.

It will Pass!!!! One Year out and I Drink as much as I want and sometimes miss those first few months where the scale moved lower everyday. You are going to be so excited 4 months from now when your whole wardrobe has changed at least 4 or 5 times.

LOL Im looking forward to it definitely! Omg I haven't ever seen what I look like without all this weight... I'm kinda nervous

33 minutes ago, Jmh04416 said:

See I was wondering If the hernia repair played a part in it... If they did tighten it too much could he fix that?

Don't go there yet. You'll drive yourself crazy and churn your new anatomy up with worry. Just concentrate on today. Tiny sips, walking, eating Protein Drinks, etc. Focus on how you'll feel 1 year from today--on top of the world!

It will get better but not overnight. It took me 6 months to reach my happy state. Each day will generally improve a little.

Some things in your description concern me. First you should have been given detailed directions about what to eat and how much to eat at each stage. For me I was directed to be on full liquids for the first month, pureed foods for the second month and only at week 9 did I transition to solids. Doctors will differ on their advise, but generally I recommend that you follow their guidelines. You stomach needs time to heal.

The three most important elements after bariatric surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes.

Right after surgery many individuals have a problem meeting their fluid and protein goals, but trying to increase this each day, you should be able to get there soon.

It is common for your taste buds to change after surgery. Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot Drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

The fluid requirement is met by a combination. It is not only the water that you drink each day. But also the water you drink when you take your Vitamins and medicine. It is the milk you drink. It is the fluids content of the protein shakes. It is the water component of the Soups you take. It is met by flavored water such as Crystal Light. It is met by sugar free popsicles. It is met by tea and Decaf coffee. It is a combination of all the fluids that you consume during the day.

Another thing that concerns me is that you talked about chest pains. On my discharge instructions one of the problems that were noted that triggered a call to my surgeon's office was Chest pain, rapid heartbeat and/or dizziness. So it may mean nothing but is best to keep your surgeon informed.

Hi...I am 11 days post-op today and have went through all those emotions MANY times as well, I then would remind myself why I did this in the first place. For me it was purely health reasons and I truly had done all I could do. As far as the pain? I had almost nonstop spasm pain in my pouch/stomach since I woke up from surgery. It has gotten better but it still happens and now mainly when I eat. I can only eat 3 tbsp worth of anything and the pain hits. If I keep going, it gets worse. One thing that helps is if I drink a very hot liquid in the morning or anytime my pouch spasms a lot. The heat relaxes the stomach. Also, you may still have swelling in your pouch which may not allow you to drink as much. Are you allowed to take advil liquigels yet? If so, I would take those regularly until more healing has taken place. Just my opinion. I feel your pain hun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi...I am 11 days post-op today and have went through all those emotions MANY times as well, I then would remind myself why I did this in the first place. For me it was purely health reasons and I truly had done all I could do. As far as the pain? I had almost nonstop spasm pain in my pouch/stomach since I woke up from surgery. It has gotten better but it still happens and now mainly when I eat. I can only eat 3 tbsp worth of anything and the pain hits. If I keep going, it gets worse. One thing that helps is if I drink a very hot liquid in the morning or anytime my pouch spasms a lot. The heat relaxes the stomach. Also, you may still have swelling in your pouch which may not allow you to drink as much. Are you allowed to take advil liquigels yet? If so, I would take those regularly until more healing has taken place. Just my opinion. I feel your pain hun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using BariatricPal mobile app

I heard about drinking hot last drinks.... I think I'll try that.... And I'm not sure if I can use those I'll have to ask

Thank you for responding

For everyone recent or pre-surgery, this is a new way of living and doing something fundamental to life --- eating! And likely a key activity that was not being done to the best of one's health. The challenges are big and transition is difficult. But, I am a big advocate for embracing the change and letting it seep into other parts of your life. I think one small way to do this that can be fundamental to success is tracking. Although I do not track my food and Water like I did 1 year or 6 months ago, I don't think I would have had the success I do now without religious tracking. I still track my exercise diligently. I think tracking is an accountability tool and a health tool that can help in your conversations with dietician or clinician and can give you a reference to comparing with your surgeon's plan.

Best of luck!

4 hours ago, orionburn said:

The first month is pretty damned rough for a lot of us. I had complications and the first 3 weeks were, well, hell. But, I'm a year out and can say I have no regrets at all.

Can I eat a small plate of food? Yes and no. You'll learn how different foods will fill you up. If I'm eating some type of slider food I can probably get 1-2 cups of food in depending on what it is. Other times it's a single cup and that's all I can manage. The next couple months are going to be a learning experience. Some things will frustrate you initially, but you will learn to work through it. Drinking will get back to normal for you. I mean I can't pound down a 44 oz diet soda like I did in the old days, but I can take a pretty decent sized gulp of Water now and it doesn't bother me.

It's pretty normal to have some feelings of regret, especially if you're dealing with pain and difficulty in getting anything down. Try to keep your focus on the long run. I know this phase is pretty depressing but it truly does get better. Once you get past this initial hump and then can start transitioning to regular foods you'll see things start to improve quickly with your outlook and attitude. Hang in there. This will pass.

You are precious Orion.

I seriously love your personality

and your heart. Thanks for encouraging people

Keep on!