Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi I'm about 10 days post-op. I feel like ever since I had surgery I've done nothing but regret it. the more I think about things the more I start to feel like this was a big mistake. I've been having chest pressure when I drink or eat anything. I'm on soft foods and no matter what I eat it feels like it there's just a huge lump in my chest. Then I begin to feel like I want to burp but nothing is coming up. I'm so thirsty and want to just take two big chugs of Water and I can barely take 2 sips without it feeling tight. I had a hiatal hernia repair also with my sleeve. I've been getting depressed because right now I feel hopeless . I don't ever see myself having a normal sip of water again....i knew I'd have to eat smaller portions but will I ever be able to finish a whole damn sandwich again? This feels like torture and I'm terrified that things won't get better. I want to have a normal life and now I feel I just screwed myself. To not even be able to drink normally again? What have I done? 😥😢

My question is, can u drink normally now? Can you have a small plate of food or are you still eating like a baby bird? When or does it get better? Does this pressure from drinking or eating virtually nothing ever go away? (I can also describe the feeling like a stuck burp)...

I didn't do this so that I can have a tablespoon of food every meal. I just wanted portion control.... but not like this....it's torture...I'm so sad and regretful

Please tell me it gets better :(

It gets better! Talk to your surgeon's office. This is a major change, it is a lot to deal with and can be overwhelming. You will feel better on so many levels and it will be something you consider in your meals. You have a new normal, and as a newbie it is one that will be changing a lot. Once it settles it becomes second nature and doesn't feel like it is a burden!

Hang in there!

JMH. The drinking part is something I wondered and worried about. I have not had surgery yet. chcky, is it normal to only be able to take two tiny sips of Water but be really thirsty? I wonder if sucking on ice cubes would help with the feeling?

I've read some others posts and most seem to be happy and functional. So, I would imagine unless there is a problem that this would clear up?

Edited by NMB

8 minutes ago, chycky said:

It gets better! Talk to your surgeon's office. This is a major change, it is a lot to deal with and can be overwhelming. You will feel better on so many levels and it will be something you consider in your meals. You have a new normal, and as a newbie it is one that will be changing a lot. Once it settles it becomes second nature and doesn't feel like it is a burden!

Hang in there!

Thank for responding, I'm trying to hang in there....I guess if I could just drink more water....is it easier with a straw? I see that's what alot of ppl ere use...is it for the pressure?

2 minutes ago, NMB said:

JMH. The drinking part is something I wondered and worried about. I have not had surgery yet. chcky, is it normal to only be able to take two tiny sips of Water but be really thirsty? I wonder if sucking on ice cubes would help with the feeling?

Right now for me it definitely is like 2 small sips and I have to wait like 5 mins before my next one.....it's awful

So drinking is hard and early on for my surgeon straws were frowned upon as could drink too much. Later it was something my dietician recommended to be able to drink more and stay hydrated, especially during working out.

I would say for me it continues to be something I have to think about as I need to balance my Water intake with coffee; and make sure I don't drink 30 minutes before or after eating! But it gets easier, and I found drinking slowly in early phase made it easier to drink more at one sitting.

I would say I placed a priority on my shakes early on, and trying to stay on goal with 64 oz of liquid per day...spacing it out was key for me.

Edited by chycky

Have you been able to track how much Water you are getting in a day? I have read that it's supposed to be 64 ounces. Hoping to hear from others farther along about this. Regardless, I would definitely communicate with the doctor though. Dehydration can get serious if left too long.

Reading your post. You have gas very bad like me. Maybe you could try a over the counter product. Go to the pharmacy and talk to someone there.

I thought that that I regretted, but I was wrong. You can do this sweetie it takes one dat at a time.

I have not been keeping track honestly....I doubt Im making that....I'm so constantly thirsty but can't drink really....4 sips and I'm feeling that pressure again...I don't know if that means I'm full or if I'm hurting the sleeve regardless I feel like I physically can't drink that. I'm so terrified of causing a leak or bursting my Staples from consuming too much that I have been grossly under drinking and eating

7 minutes ago, sharonmills said:

Reading your post. You have gas very bad like me. Maybe you could try a over the counter product. Go to the pharmacy and talk to someone there.

I thought that that I regretted, but I was wrong. You can do this sweetie it takes one dat at a time.

What has helped you?

Talk to your surgeon's office. You likely have no issues, but it is something they need to know and discuss with you. Keeping hydrated and eating is critically important to your health and progress!

I went through all the feelings and regrets that you are going through.
I am now 7 weeks and can say it is much better now.

For me if I drink room temp Water I get pains in my chest but do fine with hot or iced water.

As your stomach heals you will gradually be able to eat more.

Just take this process one day at a time and look at the positives.

I promise this shall pass.

((((Hugs))))

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

hi I'm about 2 weeks post-op. I feel like ever since I had surgery I've done nothing but regret it. the more I think about things the more I start to feel like this was a big mistake. I've been having chest pressure when I drink or eat anything. I'm on soft foods and no matter what I eat it feels like it there's just a huge lump in my chest. Then I begin to feel like I want to burp but nothing is coming up. I'm so thirsty and want to just take two big chugs of Water and I can barely take 2 sips without it feeling tight. I had a hiatal hernia repair also with my sleeve. I've been getting depressed because right now I feel hopeless . I don't ever see myself having a normal sip of Water again....i knew I'd have to eat smaller portions but will I ever be able to finish a whole damn sandwich again? This feels like torture and I'm terrified that things won't get better. I want to have a normal life and now I feel I just screwed myself. To not even be able to drink normally again? What have I done? [emoji26][emoji22]
My question is, can u drink normally now? Can you have a small plate of food or are you still eating like a baby bird? When or does it get better? Does this pressure from drinking or eating virtually nothing ever go away? (I can also describe the feeling like a stuck burp)...
I didn't do this so that I can have a tablespoon of food every meal. I just wanted portion control.... but not like this....it's torture...I'm so sad and regretful
Please tell me it gets better [emoji20]

You sound exactly like I did up until a few days ago when I was cleared to eat normally. I promise you it gets better and you will be able to take decent mouthfuls of water. I’m only 3.5 weeks post op and can already drink very comfortably and I’m eating normal food. I can’t gorge or eat excessively but I eat one baked chicken wing and one 1 inch piece of white fish and I’m full - happily content and full! I never imagined I would get to a place of feeling “normal” again and I cried almost every single day because I felt sick. My heart skipped every single time I ate or drank anything, my chest was heavy, I’d get “stuck” feelings constantly but it has all passed.

Please hang in there - you’re still only 10 days out and very fresh! Be kind to yourself and let your body recover with time. I promise this alien-like feeling will pass and you’ll feel great again. I strongly suggest you contact your clinic and chat with the nurse there or the surgeon, they really do offer great help and reassurance.

You will be just fine, it’s still early days and you’re still raw xoxo reach out if you need to chat

You’ve just started ur journey...only 10 Days out...settle down and relax...you’ve just had surgery. There’s always consequences afterwards when ur body and brain are adjusting to this trauma. It’s not pleasant or comfortable but it does pass. No, ur not going to eat like u did before and that’s why u went thru this, u did this because u wanted to be healthier and look better which is now going to happen. I’m 8 mos out, started size 24 now 10/12 and feeling good about myself and so will u once u r over this healing stage. Believe me eating a whole sandwich, gulping down a drink is nothing compared to looking in the mirror and being proud of what u see. You don’t want to eat quantity any more but quality foods. The quantity is what got us to this point. One day ur going to b sitting with a group of people eating and watching all the food they’re consuming and realize u once ate like that but r content with ur small portion and smaller body. This is a major mind change but u can do it and once u c that new person in the mirror, hear the compliments, have to buy smaller sizes, and feel good about urself it’ll b worth it. It will all get better! Best of luck on ur journey