Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is ESG and Gastric plication the same thing?

Sorry for the stupid question but I just got the ESG done last month and was looking for other people who have gotten it done, besides this app it’s terribly hard to find anyone who has gotten this procedure done IMO, but I have found quite a few reviews with gastric plication so I’m wondering is this same thing ?

My previous surgeon, not the Good bariatric one I have now threatened me with this so I've done a little research on it. First do you have a mental imagine of what a normal stomach looks like? You do? Goody let's move on. Usually these days done laprascopically as are most these days,not withstanding my buddy BiddyNZ in New Zealand who had an open gastric procedure. But I digress, surgeon takes the rounded part of your stomach and wraps it around and secures it , just below where the esophagus enters the stomach. Some wrap around from the front to back, others back to front. Think it depends where you graduated or what teaching surgeon you learned from. In theory it re-enforces a weak sphincter between esophagus and stomach, doesn't always work that well. My current bariatric surgeon states he's had people come to him begging for Rn Y because it didn't work. I have had.a few friends who had a Nissan fundaplicatipn , it worked for them and they loved it. A substrate of that, my local hospital and a few others I know of in this area do something called a Linx Procedure. A strip containing magnets is put on your esophagus around the cardac sphincter, that's the fancy name for the valve there, the magnets hold it closed unless you're swallowing food. Sound too be true? Well the drawback is: you'll never be able to vomit again, what if something poisons you? Tough luck,Charlie. The same strength magnets that hold back reflux also hold emesis in. Scares me! I'm pretty sure an ESG is pretty different, its done with an endoscope and you end up with a fashioned sleeve. Hope this clarifies a little.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

PinkMints, good question, not a stupid one. I have had ESG last November and am enjoying the results, down >35 lbs since my procedure. ESG uses an endoscope, which goes down your throat, and cross stitches your stomach, with about 12 stitches to reduce it's volume and form a sleeve in the shape of a banana. Read thru some of my older posts if you're interested to understand what ESG is like.

ESG is a less invasive form or procedure than a Vertical Sleeve Gastronomy which uses a laparoscope incision in your stomach and removes part of your stomach before forming the sleeve shape. My procedure took about 90 minutes and I was up and about later that day, feeling normal again within 3-4 days. This is a shorter recovery period than VSG.

From what I read online Gastric plication sounds like a folding of your stomach and suturing with a laparoscope, so there is an incision similar to VSG.

Here's some further info on ESG:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5719914/

https://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/endoscopic-sleeve-gastroplasty.html

Take care, Tex

Thanks Tex and congratulations on the weight loss! , I just had my ESG in January and was looking for others in a similar situation. Again thanks for the clarification I truly appreciate it

I was looking for ESG 3 yrs ago but could not find it anywhere. I had a plication which I don't think can be much different. In both procedures your stomach is made smaller by "folding it on itself". I am happy with my procedure and the scars I did not want don't seem to matter at all now. After all I have read about ESG I do think recovery may be a bit harder than mine was though. Neither plication or ESG are miracle cures but they are miracle tools if we use them right.

I’ve already had the ESG surgery I just wanted to know the difference because they seemed to similar how are you doing three years out if you don’t mind me asking thanks for the response mountaingal

Well I've heard the difference is they do the plication with sutures and the ESG with some sort of rivets. I base this on Dr Tom Umbach from Blossom Bariatrics on You Tube. He said it is almost impossible to revise an ESG for this reason.

1 hour ago, frust8 said:

Well I've heard the difference is they do the plication with sutures and the ESG with some sort of rivets. I base this on Dr Tom Umbach from Blossom Bariatrics on You Tube. He said it is almost impossible to revise an ESG for this reason.

Hi there frust8. I just had the ESG on February 6. They used sutures or stitches to sew up the stomach. No foreign device is let in your stomach. I’m not sure what rivets even are in all honesty but they may have been used during the procedure but NOT left in there. Just wanted to clarify.

Are you thinking of having the ESG done? This forum is a wonderful place to get info and experiences from those who have had it done. Some have had phenomenal results. I have done just ok. I’ve lost 12 pounds in one month. I’m at a stall at the moment but working through it hopefully. Feel free to ask whatever you’d like.

16 hours ago, frust8 said:

I haven't had surgery yet but it is within my consideration. Thank you for my welcome here, hope4 mom of 4, that's quite a nom de plume but give your kids all a hug from me.

Thank you dear. Hugging my kids is rare now since they are all boys and range from 20 years old to 11!🤣🤣(I do however hug my baby, the eleven year old often, he’ll always be my baby!)

Anyway, I would love to answer any questions you have about the ESG. It is mostly recommended for those with a lower BMI like under 40. It does give you restriction but there is more work involved on your part than the other more invasive WLS. It doesn’t remove the gherlin hormone that causes hunger like the gastric sleeve does so you will have to work on that on your own. I guess my dear it’s a trade off—ESG is noninvasive with much less recovery time but results are not as drastic as the invasive sleeve. Ask away. I was in the same boat a mere six months ago. I completely understand. 💝💝

Edited by hope4momof4

Can I ask you all what one of your regular meals looks like now I’m about to finally get out of the soft food stage after 2 months and start moving towards harder foods I’m super curious what that’s like

Can't say I measure my food and still put more on the plate than I will ever eat at times LOL though not as often as some time ago. I use a divided pyrex plate, very much like a kids plate from the dollar store. Start out with maybe a piece of Protein the size of a deck of cards, then I add probably two tbsp of veggies into each of the other two areas on the plate. If I want to eat salad I need to eat a small serving for lunch or mid afternoon. Can't eat that and dinner to. It does take some getting used after yrs of putting more on your plate.

The difference between esg and gastric plication there both similar in what they accomplish.

esg is done endoscopic ally no holes are made on outside all sutures are in inside of stomach. and gastric plication is done laparoscopic ally thru outside abdominal area to access.

Edited by gio3535