Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass/Sleeve and First Classes Questions

I have a few questions for those who have gone through this or are going through this.

First one is, why did you choose the sleeve or bypass over the other? I was thinking originally of getting the sleeve done, as dumping syndrome scares me as does the thought of them rerouting my intestines. That being said, I do sometimes get bad heartburn, (not enough where I need to take any medication or anything, but enough to be annoying) and I'm worried about GERD afterwards, and I have heard that, while both are effective, the Bypass has slightly better results so far. So just wondering what people's thoughts were on it. I'm 28 years old, mother of a one year old and my husband is super supportive about anything. my CW is 344 at 5'8.5'' Figured I'd get some last minute advice before I talk to the surgeon and see what his thoughts were as well. I don't have any major complications, I did have an Arrhythmia two years ago but after quitting my insane job, it's gone. VERY mild sleep apnea. The Dr's office says normally our insurance requires 6months of recorded weight loss attempts but since my BMI is over 50, it will probably be like 3 months. (I'm hoping that's the latest, as we had wanted to plan on trying for baby #2 next August-ish, and I know they like you to be 18 months out beforehand, and we have a wedding that my husband will be best man of Early June.) we have our first meeting with the weight loss center's doctor (not our surgeon, but our surgeon recommended this) and dietician tomorrow.)

The last question is, I'm going to my first consultation/dietician class tomorrow morning, are there any questions you would have liked to have asked early on of your first consultations? :)

Thanks in advance!

My surgeon recommended the Bypass as I have acid reflux. I could not be happier with the surgery! My surgery was 12-18-17, no issues with acid reflux and I am down over 30 pounds. Already walking is so much easier. Good luck k

Love happy stories, love success stories. I'm a future RnY early-mid March at Mount Carmel in Columbus Ohio. I do want WLS surgery but was not prepared to throw away,4/5th of my nstural stomach on a surgery that would not eradicate my GERD I had a cousin who died at 68 from esophageal cancer. The continued irritation in my esophagus could put me at risk,to follow in her footsteps.RnY gives you a little quicker weight loss, although many VSG are done, Rn Y is still the gold standard. I only plan one bariatric surgery ,in my lifetime so I want the best. I'm 72, want to spend the remainder of my life thinner, happier and healthier.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I chose Gastric Bypass . The maximum weight loss opportunity for me- and no reflux. I know you can lose more with bypass .
The surgery was super - only 5 very small incisions on belly (about 3/4 of an inch each). Recovery was fast other than tenderness ok belly and sleeping if you’re a side sleeper. Haven’t really had dumping and you can control that by following directions of eating slow and small amounts.

My surgery was dec 20th and down almost 40 :). Yay me!

HW 242
SW 236- December 20, 2017
CW 197
GW 160

I chose Gastric Bypass . The maximum weight loss opportunity for me- and no reflux. I know you can lose more with bypass .
The surgery was super - only 5 very small incisions on belly (about 3/4 of an inch each). Recovery was fast other than tenderness ok belly and sleeping if you’re a side sleeper. Haven’t really had dumping and you can control that by following directions of eating slow and small amounts.

My surgery was dec 20th and down almost 40 [emoji4]. Yay me!

HW 242
CW 197
GW 160

I would also take a look in these forums... I notice a lot of people doing the bypass after sleeve or band. Not sure why

HW 242
CW 197
GW 160

Thank you all for your comments! I had my first consult with the dietician and weight center doctor, next step is to see the Surgeon and find out their recommendations. :) Right now I'm aiming at the bypass.. still very scared, my mother and I are both interested in having WLS at the same time, and we are our greatest support (on top of each having a wonderful supportive husband) but we are both nervous people so both worried about all the what-if's. But I want to get healthy!

Astrocat you have all your new Bariatric Pals here, we are good at helping with nerves. You've made a good decision to seek WLS, your little guy is going to be proud of his mommy even if he is too small to say so. You'll be around to watch him grow, soon he'll be big enough for Little League, then comes Colt Football and before you know it "Mom can I have the keys to the car?" and you'll be healthy enough to see it all. Good luck,to you and your Mom both, I think it would be neat if you could do this together. Any questions, just ask. If i don't have the answer,one of our veterans will. Many are still active and they are an encyclopedia of knowledge. I've learned so much from them myself.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

That's one of the biggest things I want to have this for, to watch my daughter grow. I kept pushing it off with "one more year of trying it myself", and even now it's awfully tempting. (I'm on a Facebook group and while most the posts are very positive the negative ones pop up about "so and so died from this" etc.. and I worry about leaving my husband and daughter if anything were to happen to me..) but I know that I need to do something to get back on track. I'm so scared but also ready to get my life back on track and be there for her and my husband and future baby. (One of the biggest reasons I'm opting for the surgery sooner instead of giving it 'another year', is because we planned on trying for another baby late next year, and I want to be healthy and healed up by then so we can safely have the baby, I know they say to wait 18 months after WLS before trying to get pregnant too.) I just hope I can be strong and not get too afraid.

Astrocat- Best decision I ever made- and was much easier than I anticipated. Go for it, you won’t regret it!

HW 242
CW 196
GW#1- 199
GW#2- 175
5’6”