Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Older successes: any tricks to not looking too much older?

I’ve lost 50 lbs. most of it seems to have come out of my face and upper body. I definitely feel that I look older, honestly, my older successful women, what sort of things can be done to be slender and healthy but not look like a sharpei puppy or a deflated balloon? My face seems older and the turkey gobble neck is not helping. Is there something that can be done, like maybe filler injections, or neck lift, or ?? I can’t get friends to admit I look older. But I feel it, I know it. I’m glad I am not obese any more. I look forward to losing more and having a body in proportion and at a normal weight. But I don’t want to look 20 years older! Ideas?

21 minutes ago, GotProlactinoma said:

I’ve lost 50 lbs. most of it seems to have come out of my face and upper body. I definitely feel that I look older, honestly, my older successful women, what sort of things can be done to be slender and healthy but not look like a sharpei puppy or a deflated balloon? My face seems older and the turkey gobble neck is not helping. Is there something that can be done, like maybe filler injections, or neck lift, or ?? I can’t get friends to admit I look older. But I feel it, I know it. I’m glad I am not obese any more. I look forward to losing more and having a body in proportion and at a normal weight. But I don’t want to look 20 years older! Ideas?

Oh boy, can I identify with this! I started at 334 lbs and am down to 190 lbs. Just like you, I have lost a lot in my upper body. Size 8-10 in tops, but size 14 in jeans/bottoms.

At 46 years, I feel like I look 50-55 yrs. The turkey gobble neck really bothers me. I do the face/neck exercises as well as use a good anti-aging face/neck cream. That has helped only a little.

Hubby is 3 years younger than me. He says I look beautiful, and that feels great, but all I see is my much-older-than-him face and neck!

I am into trendy clothes, but nothing that makes a 46 year old look like an idiot "trying" to look young. The clothes make me feel better about myself.

Don't get me wrong, I will take the older looking face and gobble gobble neck over wearing a size 5X and size 28 jeans anyday! I am VERY grateful for the weight loss.

Just wanted to tell you that I feel ya! Thanks for bringing up the topic and I would also like to hear ideas of what can help my face/neck. For me, my budget will not allow for a facelift/neck lift.

Would love to hear others experiences.

Edited by mylighthouse

You get it, exactly, mylighthouse. I have bought a couple tops from free people, something I could only dare DREAM OF. Such a thrill. And now I feel like, can I wear this? Do I look like someone’s grandma, trying too hard?? I want to enjoy my new body (still changing of course) but I think I looked younger fatter.

Ideally, one day I could afford surgery to maybe do the neck, and I really want a Mommy makeover one day. But for the time being, is there anything to restore a bit of youthful fullness to the face or neck?

I don't really have many tips from personal experience, but I was just watching a video on YouTube from a woman in her 60s who looks soooo much younger, and she credits it to Retin A. She didn't have weight loss surgery, so I don't know how much Retin A would help with issues resulting from that, but her skin is incredibly firm for her age. I tried posting a link but it's saying that YouTube won't permit it to be embedded here. Just search for a video titled 28 Years of Retin A Use by a woman who goes by Melissa55. I've never tried Retin A for anti-aging but am tempted to try it out now!

I think we're gonna need piccys. :D ;)

I'm in my 30s and this is a concern of mine. There are some gastric sleevers on youtube who have had amazing success. These ladies inspire me like nothing else.... but I have noticed that some of them look much older than their before photos.

It does make sense, loose skin could happen anywhere and we've all lost weight off our faces. So I'm trying to do what I can. I'm taking Vitamins for skin, drinking Water and taking my skin care regime seriously. I've spent my hard earned pennies on serums and creams with ingredients like retinol, hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C. My skin has also been dry since the surgery, I don't know if that's dehydration, the weird hormone changes or whatever. So now, I moisturize every day. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better to try.

Bottom line? I think looking a couple of years older to live several years longer is worth it.

7 hours ago, LaLaDee said:

I'm in my 30s and this is a concern of mine. There are some gastric sleevers on youtube who have had amazing success. These ladies inspire me like nothing else.... but I have noticed that some of them look much older than their before photos.

It does make sense, loose skin could happen anywhere and we've all lost weight off our faces. So I'm trying to do what I can. I'm taking Vitamins for skin, drinking Water and taking my skin care regime seriously. I've spent my hard earned pennies on serums and creams with ingredients like retinol, hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C. My skin has also been dry since the surgery, I don't know if that's dehydration, the weird hormone changes or whatever. So now, I moisturize every day. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better to try.

Bottom line? I think looking a couple of years older to live several years longer is worth it.

I'm also in my 30s now, and had been concerned about potential aging effects after having surgery. I lost weight at the speed of a snail, and I think that helped give my skin more time to adjust. My doctor told me to stop showering as much because I was drying out my skin with daily, and sometimes twice daily showers if I'd had a sweaty workout. Her suggestion was to just clean under the arms, the feet - the smelly bits - daily but not fully immerse in a shower every day. I use dry Shampoo to keep my hair fresh. I typically shower three, sometimes four times a week, and use an in-shower moisturizer, then as soon as I step out apply a body oil (Trader Joe's has one that smells and feels lovely), and after it has had time to be absorbed, apply body lotion.

My face became softer and far less irritated and dry when I switched to Korean skincare, which is gentler. There's a "beauty guru" named Charlotte Cho has a popular site with product recommendations. I usually buy the products from Amazon or a local Japanese market that carries a lot of Asian products. I do the "double cleanse" method of a creamy emollient face wash to remove makeup, followed by a foaming green tea face wash that removes residue. Then I use Dr. Thayer's Witch Hazel, which isn't Korean, but is beloved. I actually found out about it from a woman who is also in her 30s and had the VSG, who goes by Fit Miss Bliss. She said it made her skin "fluffy", in a good way. Then I use Korean milk lotion and finally a moisturizer. I may try to add in Retin-A, sparingly, as a preventative. Before I started the Korean beauty products, I had fine lines and wrinkles on my forehead, and they've totally disappeared now, unless I'm super dehydrated. It's definitely helped with aging. I am a professor and getting confused as a student now, and getting card far more often, than I did prior to having the VSG in 2015. I definitely recommend giving it a try.

Excellent suggestions, mine would be smile, known fact you use fewer muscles than with a frown. It makes you look pleasant, approachable and people like that instead looking like a perpetual grouch. Sister Smithson would get up in testimony meeting, announce Ooh I love Jesus and hold her mouth like she had just had a sour pickle. Ooh she had wrinkles that wouldn't quit and think,it was due to her old sour disposition. With a smile people will,want to know your secret to happiness and may want to befriend you.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

My friend did the surgery and she looked older (neck wise) I was shocked that was 6 months after her surgery she was down 100 pounds now 124 pounds down and 1 year later her neck is perfect. So I think you just need to let till you skin catches up.

Also your skin is an organ take care of your skin I oil myself daily and have really good skin.

Olive Oil, Coconut oil, castor oil and argan oil I rub my hair, scalp, body, face, neck, arms everything feet it soaks it up I sit in my living room on a chair and soak it all up for 30 minutes or more then I shower (oh you can shave before you shower with the oil on its really good)

Your Skin is an Organ look up ways to take care of it and make it part of your journey

might be alot of work but this is my skin regime and I shower 2-3 times a day the clay I do twice a week everything else daily

Tighten Skin

Kaling clay

Olive and coconut oil

Black tea

Coffee Water witch hazel extract

Scrub twice daily

Sea salt scrub

Daily moisturize with oils

Olive

Coconut

Argan

Castor

Great tips, everyone. Going to look at the videos and try some of your suggestions. I already use my edible moisturizers of coconut oil and whipped shea butter.