Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all

I was a vegetarian prior to surgery and would like to return to it now that I'm three months post op

Wondering if anyone has experienced Hair loss in excess being plant based and the main sources of Proteins consumed

Thanks

You’ll still get Hair loss (unless you’ve got a miracle gene that doesn’t let it go) whether you are on a high Protein or low protein diet. My doc reminded all of us patients that it’s a given. I dealt with it between 3-7 months. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be, but I’ve also had a head full of hair to start. I’ve read countless others upping protein count to prevent, but alas, it does not work like that. So, you’ll have to make do with what you lose., unfortunately. Blessings hon.

1 hour ago, Tealael said:

I guess I mind as well do what I want then, lol. What was your Protein intake and diet like at 3 month post op?

I stopped counting Protein about that time. After reading a book by a bariatric surgeon, Dr Garth Davis, called Proteinaholic, it was evident to me that there wasn’t any need to cram so much of it into my diet. If I eat the right nutritious foods, I’d get the requirements needed in. Alas, some folks need to know, and that’s okay too. From what I’ve read (this book has science and sources from all over) we don’t really need as much as the western diet says. I probably eat on average maybe 40 g a day. Eating lots of veggies and grains, and even fruit will get that for ya. Ive had three blood work ups since my surgery and not one of them states I’m at a deficit of anything. 😊

FYI...I don’t count anything, but maybe how many bottles of Water I’ve had. Lol

I think I need to track for a few months longer because my body rebels against all carbs
But in heading back towards my vegetarian lifestyle especially if I can't do anything about my hair...

Sent from my N817 using BariatricPal mobile app

All? So if you are some quinoa you’d feel like eating another serving? I don’t get that way with complex carbs. For sure simple...like donuts and crap.

Yes I had to give up quinoa when the scale refused to move and I have to be very selective about when I can indulge in any fruit, Beans and lentils. It sucks but sometimes because it's what I love.

I learned that for weight loss to occur for me I HAVE to be in ketosis my Protein macros must far out weigh the carbs.

And I always cook EVERYTHING from scratch because I already had a special diet (kosher) I even made my own breads which were made from heirloom grains like spelt mixed with hard winter wheat. So I knew exactly what was going into my foods.
My body simply requires less carbs but I can only assume it will be different when I reach maintenance

And now I make oat flour as an alternative to wheat (for baked goods styled items which I mix with at least 50 percent Protein Powder ) and I still have to watch the carb count.

I have a zero to minimal sugar diet (I sometimes add pure maple Syrup when cooking ) I use pure stevia or nothing at all , cant drink a ton of juice (freshly made vegetable fruit mix) unless it half Water and even then only sometimes

My loss has slowed but I’m not complaining. It’s still going down though. The main thing for me is the fact that I know my body is healthy; the whole reason for me to get the surgery. Not for vanity, although it’s an added bonus. I’m at against Keto anything and for sure anything high animal Proteins after reading how our bodies react to them in long term. This is not a ploy to scare ya, but I hope you’d be open to the science behind how your body works. The western diet hides these truths because they’re in the money making business. If you are interested, read Proteinaholics by bariatric surgeon Dr garth Davis. It’s really amazing. Science and sources and it’s easy to understand.

I think it’s awesome you doing everything from scratch. I need to follow suit...maybe when my four year old finally gets to kindergarten and I have time to do it! 😊

OMG I remember those days... I made it as easy as possible by using technology

Breadmachine, crockpot etc.

Now my children are in charge of some of the work! Yay for teenagers

I'm 3 months post op and currently my hair is falling out.

I had the same problem several years ago when my nan assed away. I dealt with her death well I assumed and then a few months after had the Hair loss came.

So I personally do not put it down to lack of Protein, more the trauma we suffer as a result of major surgery. My surgeon warned me about it even before he knew I was veggie.

My hair has grown back before so I'm totally chill about it this time round. For the positives I've had from my surgery I can easily accept this one negative.

Good luck.