Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What have you done to alleviate the pain/symptoms of a numb tingling butt?

Hi y’all, I’m just shy of 9 months post. The last couple of months it’s been ridiculous having to sit down. Within ten minutes, my bum gets numb and tingling. I am constantly shifting positions to try and alleviate it some. I’ve been searching for ways to hopefully get rid of it. Main thing is probably to workout my bottom and strengthen the glutes, but I want to hear if anyone has had some success with whatever you’ve done to get rid of the numbness and tingling. Btw...if I sit for 10-15 mins, the symptoms don’t go away at all! I have to go to bed with it still going. A bit frustrating.

How about a gel pillow but cushion? ((hugs)) Sorry to hear this! :(

Been trying to figure this out myself. If someone finds out how to heal tailbone pain without getting rid of my tailbone, greatly appreciated[emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

36 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

How about a gel pillow but cushion? ((hugs)) Sorry to hear this! :(

I’ve thought of one...I may have to try it. BUT, wouldn’t it only work on a hard chair? My fear is that it won’t work. I sit on my chair (which is like a recliner) and I still get this mess. It’s a big comfy chair. So the softness of the chair doesn’t even work. I’m weary of the gel not working too.

31 minutes ago, Torriluv87 said:

Been trying to figure this out myself. If someone finds out how to heal tailbone pain without getting rid of my tailbone, greatly appreciated

Ive heard the pain associated with getting rid of one is through the roof! I think I’d just rather lay on my stomach for the rest of my life. Lol. I’m going to focus on doing some glute exercises over a span of time and see if it indeed helps. I’ll be sure to report it at some point or during the progress.

It’s about fixing your posture! When we are obese we sit to accommodate the fat and our posture suffers... we need to reclaim the curvature of the lumbar spine. Sit on the bones on the backs of your legs not your tailbone. See the pic for illustration...IMG_7654.JPG.6388e580557e56d7bfbf3c5938f52c58.JPG

My physical therapist and yoga instructors helped me immensely with this! In yoga they call it your “sitz” bones! Dunno if that’s a real thing or not lol

3 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

It’s about fixing your posture! When we are obese we sit to accommodate the fat and our posture suffers... we need to reclaim the curvature of the lumbar spine. Sit on the bones on the backs of your legs not your tailbone. See the pic for illustration...IMG_7654.JPG.6388e580557e56d7bfbf3c5938f52c58.JPG

My physical therapist and yoga instructors helped me immensely with this! In yoga they call it your “sitz” bones! Dunno if that’s a real thing or not lol

Wouldn’t you know....I’ve been on a Quest about posture for the past week!!! Now that I think of it, I position the lumbar in my car for my back, and I don’t get this feeling while driving.

Thank so much hon!!! I’ll be paying way more attention to how and where I sit...and strengthening my core/glutes in the process.

I do that position as much as i can. I even start out in that position a lot of times. But somehow i end up like the second diagram and in agony. I really have NO butt lol. And the bones i sit on to eleviate the tailbone pain, cause my legs to go to sleep and i can feel the bones moving under me. Anyone else have that issue?

Ive heard the pain associated with getting rid of one is through the roof! I think I’d just rather lay on my stomach for the rest of my life. Lol. I’m going to focus on doing some glute exercises over a span of time and see if it indeed helps. I’ll be sure to report it at some point or during the progress.

I heard it's hell for almost a year. But i did hear it does get better. But i don't think it's worth it for me as of yet. Think I'll have someone just fill out the back for me with some of the front, see how that goes lol.

4 minutes ago, Torriluv87 said:

I heard it's hell for almost a year. But i did hear it does get better. But i don't think it's worth it for me as of yet. Think I'll have someone just fill out the back for me with some of the front, see how that goes lol.

OUCH!!!! Probably take a whole lot more issues other than just fixing your posture to have to go that route. Not for me.

11 minutes ago, Torriluv87 said:

And the bones i sit on to eleviate the tailbone pain, cause my legs to go to sleep and i can feel the bones moving under me. Anyone else have that issue?

Not me, just my butt area, but my hope is that with good posture and strethening our core muscles, will help greatly.

Edited by Newme17

Relearning how to sit properly accounting for my new weight fix it for me. It took me months to get it right though.

11 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Relearning how to sit properly accounting for my new weight fix it for me. It took me months to get it right though.

I think it may be the same here for me too, but I’ll get there. Currently sitting with a rolled up pillow behind my back. I’ll look in to lumbar supports....Thanks for chiming in!

It’s not about having a but! Seriously, I have none.

Think of a monkey... he wouldn’t sit ON his tail, he would push it out behind him and sit on the backs for of his legs. The back of your thigh bones is where you need to sit. I tried quite hard to draw the “skinny” figure with no butt.... she’s just sweeping her tailbone up and out and making an S curve with her spine. That’s what it should be.

Out tailbones (if you believe in evolution) are where our literal tails used to be and primates don’t sit ON their tails... they sit forward of them.

@jess9395 great tip, thank you for sharing the illustration.

My major complaint is not really being able to enjoy my bathtime anymore. Hurts the heck out of my bony butt! Anyone else who enjoys a nice relaxing bath having this problem now that you've lost weight?

Edited by mylighthouse