Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aggression

Anyone else noticing that as your weight goes down your level of aggressiveness goes up? I almost got into a fist fight at an ARCO station in Salinas on Sunday. Without even thinking I was ready to escalate a petty verbal confrontation. Luckily the other guy backed down, got back into his car, and drove away. This would never have happened a year ago. I'm thinking this has to do with increased testosterone levels.

As you lose weight, the chemicals and hormones that were stored in your fat cells are being released into your body. These will pass through your kidneys and are expelled in your urine or through your sweat glands. But they can generate a flush of hormones during the weight loss phase. They should simmer down once you transition into maintenance. It is important to meet your daily Fluid requirements, because it take fluids to flush these hormones from your system.

I agree with James, especially the hormones. Testosterone is stored in your fat cells, and as you loose weight your body gets flooded with a surge in it. Most of the time it displays as a revitalization of your sex drive, but it is also associated with aggression. Good luck and stay calm and safe!!!

i've been extremely irritable/restless for about a month now. i’m at month 7 post-op.

very unusual for me. i’ve never been an irritable guy. i truly hope it goes away.

I haven't been irritable per se -- I'm actually very happy -- just seem to have a short fuse and, more importantly, really amped up reactions.

How physical changes result in psychological changes is actually quite interesting.

@CalGuy64 It could be that you are now feeling physically stronger and healthier and just less apt to be bullied by people. When I was healthier, I gladly rose to the challenge when placed in a fight or flight circumstance. Now, I am less apt to do so because it will be trivial to whip my ass. I certainly can't run and I hurt all over from being overweight so one good punch in the right place and I'll be down.

On 2/8/2018 at 11:34 PM, JohnnyCakes said:

i've been extremely irritable/restless for about a month now. i’m at month 7 post-op.

very unusual for me. i’ve never been an irritable guy. i truly hope it goes away.

Is it possible that now that you're healthy, you're just less apt to put up with what you once would? Now you kinda know what you want and you aren't willing to settle?

1 hour ago, Mattymatt said:

Is it possible that now that you're healthy, you're just less apt to put up with what you once would? Now you kinda know what you want and you aren't willing to settle?

no... it’s not anything external. definitely chemical. just feel antsy as ****. like whatever i’m doing, it annoys me and i wanna start doing something else. then i start doing that and wanna stop. really weird.

50 minutes ago, JohnnyCakes said:

no... it’s not anything external. definitely chemical. just feel antsy as ****. like whatever i’m doing, it annoys me and i wanna start doing something else. then i start doing that and wanna stop. really weird.

It's not weird at all. I get that way myself sometimes and your explanation of it is a lot better than what I could come up with.

I’ve had this for sure. I have a very short temper and get super angry over nothing and then am fine. I’ve gotten better now that I’m aware of it and I try to give everyone much more benefit of the doubt. I don’t want to attack people or anything, I just have NO patience. Part of it is hormones for sure, the other part is I have no mental energy if that makes sense, so anything that takes energy is frustrating.

Glad to see that this seems to be a fairly normal thing at goes away after awhile. But hopefully I can keep at least some of it -- I was a pretty big doormat before.