Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone started drinking alcoholic beverages after being sleeved? If so, how's that going for you?

Drinking postop is wild. For me, I would get exceedingly drunk off half of a drink...and then mentally sober up just as quickly, which I could keep drinking through and not feel drunk anymore. Obviously, I'd still be drunk, but didn't feel it at all. It started very innocently this way for me, and quickly led to a couple years of alcoholic behaviours. These days, I can control it, but I had to take about 9 months away from alcohol altogether. I limit myself to 1 drink and if I'm with people who can't fathom that, I just won't drink with them at all.

Additionally, I am convinced that it completely derailed my weight loss.

Hi there

Started drinking 10 months after which immediately slowed my weight loss because of calories plus alcohol came with less control over chips and the like

then discovered I was using it as a substitute soother for food - so felt needed to stop

i found the effect of the alcohol very variable post sleeve. Sometimes I‘d have a single glass of wine and be absolutely drunk, other times several glasses with no apparent effect

best to leave for odd sip for family toasts and the like in my experience

9 years out and alcohol has come between me and my goal weight. I still am 100 lbs down from where I started but not where I wanted to be. My best advice is, if you want to drink at all...keep it to one or two drinks and drink something like vodka and light cranberry juice or red wine.

9 yrs. out

I've had a drink from time to time but nothing crazy. It hits you much harder than you'd expect. I can have half a beer and it's like "weeeeeee!!!" :lol: Which is fun but annoying as well. I don't drink often but love a good craft beer. It's near impossible to go out to eat and drink/eat at a meal. One time I went with some friends to BW3. Managed maybe half of a glass a beer and like 3 wings and I was done. Felt super full and miserable for the next hour. Other times I've spaced it out - drank the beer first (over the course of 30+ minutes) and then ate a little bit and felt fine. It's a crap shoot.

drinks with hard alcohol (like vodka w/ cranberry) are easier to drink, but again there's that risk of how hard and fast it can hit you. Definitely do not be the one to have to drive the first time you drink. Be at home or with somebody that can drive.

As the others have said you really have to be cautious. It can become a trigger to eating things that you shouldn't or you end up getting a bunch of empty calories from drinking. I'm a weird one. I have anaddictive personality but can go 2-3 months without having a drink and it doesn't phase me. Yet when I was a smoker I couldn't go for long without having one and there's no way in hell I could ever be a social smoker where I only had one a few times a week.

Yup. It’s going fine. Definitely way less now than before pre-op diet and surgery. Liquor drinks with no calorie/low calorie mixers go fine. Beer doesn’t go, makes me feel full after a sip or 2. Wine is fine but also makes me feel full after about half a glass. I have been focused on replacing my evening drinks with new hobbies and activities. I’m bored now that I am drinking way less. It wasn’t something I anticipated. A pro is that conversations with my friends seem to be more deep and fulfilling. Careful, if you speak your truth about this issue on this forum you’re liable to get flamed like a salem witch. [emoji23]

Going pretty great. I get drunk way faster now so that keeps the calories down which is a huge plus.

Start a session with a couple shots to get me tanked then sip on beers to keep myself topped off.

I feel like it takes alot for me too feel drunk.. beer does not sit well at all. But alcohol I'm afraid to see how much I can drink. But I've drank a good amount and never feel drunk. Pre op I used to get the worst hangovers. Now they're non existent. I have no clue . Don't make sense to me

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

My program’s advice was to drink Water in between each alcoholic bevvy to remain hydrated. I haven’t had a drink yet but will likely have a glass of wine in a couple of weeks at a social event and am keeping that advice (I’ll be 6 weeks post op by then.)

i drink one shot of whiskey with about 16 ounces of minute maid 15 calorie punch, lemonade or mango passionfruit and it goes fine. its easy to get a buzz, but with this mix at least i dont get super hydrated. With beer i can only do about 2-3 in a night, but it makes you feel real full. Wine gets me wasted if Im not careful because i drink it too fast.

After being sleeved, I no longer drink. It still hurts too much to even try and it tastes worse now 🤷🏻‍♀️

We learned in class to beware of alcohol. While most of us use food as a soother, after surgery we turn to alcohol. Alcoholism jump a significant amount in post-surgery patients. Be careful...you didn't go through ALL THIS just to drink it back on! Plus...do you really need to?

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

No longer drink. I didn’t go though all of this to sabotage my surgery.