Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet depression

Sorry, I know it's the same old liquid diet post that everyone puts out there, but I just need to vent.

Today is the first day of my liquid diet. I'm not necessarily feeling hungry but I am already so frustrated with the food options that I am feeling extremely depressed and reckless. I really hit a stride starting in December when I began eating a plant-based diet and it's so upsetting to go from a healthy, delicious diet I was REALLY enjoying to artificial tasting Protein Shakes and bars. They don't taste BAD - they're not gross. But they're not delicious. The fruits, Beans, hummus, nuts, veggies I was eating were delicious. And they were healthy. I lost 15 pounds in just over 4 weeks (including Christmas!). I just wish I could keep doing that.

I get the logic behind it - a controlled VLCD will help reduce the risks of surgery and is easy to regulate. 5 servings of Protein shakes per day with nothing else except no-calorie liquids is easy for patients to tell if they are in compliance with. A low-calorie healthy diet is not controlled or regimented enough to achieve the same thing. So I get it. I just think it sucks.

I've been all over the place today. I delayed getting out of bed because I didn't want to face the reality. When I did finally make my first shake, my husband asked me what kind of "smoothie" I made and I nearly burst into tears. Would that it were a delicious banana and berry smoothie! After that first shake was down, I felt better. I talked to some friends and made a list of things I'm looking forward to after surgery. Now 8 hours and 3 protein shakes/bars later I'm feeling depressed again. My husband went out an hour or so ago and I know he's getting fast food for supper. I don't blame him at all, and fast food isn't something I would even eat on my plant-based diet, but it set me off again. Feeling sorry for myself and craving Chick-FIl-A and feeling like I might jump out of my skin.

Thanks for letting me type all this out. I'm sure if I reread this post after surgery I'll be like, "Oh you were so silly for being upset!" But it seems super intense right now! My plan for the evening is to enjoy my last Protein Bar and maybe some herbal tea while watching My 600-lb Life and then go to bed early.

Also I have therapy tomorrow and my poor therapist is going to be getting an earful :lol:

I use Garden of Life and Orgain Protein powder... organic plant based and dairy based formulas. Cant stand all the artificial junk in most of the shakes out there. You can do this! Good luck!

The liquid diet is the absolute toughest part pre op. Soon you will be having surgery and it will be a distant memory. Soon enough after that you will be back to eating your healthy diet. Hang in there, it gets better.

I was on my liquid diet for thanksgiving. There was crap everywhere at work. I couldn’t have dinner or anything, but it is worth it!

You got this!

1 hour ago, Nessy76 said:

I use Garden of Life and Orgain Protein powder... organic plant based and dairy based formulas. Cant stand all the artificial junk in most of the shakes out there. You can do this! Good luck!

Thank you! I'm using Huel unflavored Protein and MRM Veggie protein in a couple of flavors. It's not that they taste bad, but they're protein powders. It's just how they taste lol. Contrast that to some delicious black Beans and baked sweet potato... OMG lol. Stopping there before I go any further with that fantasy...

1 hour ago, KimTriesRNY said:

The liquid diet is the absolute toughest part pre op. Soon you will be having surgery and it will be a distant memory. Soon enough after that you will be back to eating your healthy diet. Hang in there, it gets better.

I was on my liquid diet for thanksgiving. There was crap everywhere at work. I couldn’t have dinner or anything, but it is worth it!

You got this!

Thank you so much :778_heartbeat:

The liquid diet was the hardest part for me of the whole thing....both before surgery and after. And at least after...you felt accomplished and like the end was in sight.

The pre-diet just sucks. My brain didn't work well without carbs. I felt floaty and weird... and people even commented that I seemed run down and unhealthy. It's not a good time to be taking important examinations or doing work that is critical. And be SO careful driving! I honestly felt impaired.

Didn't help that I had to make a Thanksgiving dinner...that I wasn't allowed to eat. LOL...good times!

As I recall....Day 3 was the worst. After that, I just kinda gave up, felt broken...and limped slowly across the finish line.

Lotta people say you get used to it and it's not that bad. In my book, those people cannot be trusted. :lol:

I can definitely relate; Protein Shakes can be so boring, but just keep your eye on the prize: very soon you will have your surgery and it’s such a great tool. In a few months your svelte self will be beaming at you when you look in the mirror. Good luck on your journey and hang in there.

I’m currently three and a half weeks into a six week liquid diet. I totally understand where you are coming from. Take this time, if you can, to stop focusing on what you could be eating and focus on what you’ll make to eat post surgery. I’ve found recipes I can’t wait to try during the puréed/soft food stage and beyond.

I also stopped cooking for my family so there’s no temptation. I’m using the extra free time to do things I haven’t been able to do for years. Pick up an old or new hobby or read a book that you have been intending to for years.

You can do this! You made it through all the pre-op hurdles and you will get through this!

Girl! Shut up, ya big whiner! :D (oh wait...serry not serry, that was me I was yelling at and I don't even start mine until Monday :D )

Ok, carry on carrying on!! :D You know you can do this. And you know the reward at the end of it is not a train coming out of a tunnel! ((hugs))

20 hours ago, ksadiq18 said:

Thanks I needed to read this! I started my liquid diet the day after my father died and it was crazy but I made it through but tonight is the worst since I started.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad :( I can't even imagine doing this diet while grieving. My emotional resilience is absolutely nil at the moment. You're getting some big hugs from me across the miles!

20 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

The liquid diet was the hardest part for me of the whole thing....both before surgery and after. And at least after...you felt accomplished and like the end was in sight.

The pre-diet just sucks. My brain didn't work well without carbs. I felt floaty and weird... and people even commented that I seemed run down and unhealthy. It's not a good time to be taking important examinations or doing work that is critical. And be SO careful driving! I honestly felt impaired.

Didn't help that I had to make a Thanksgiving dinner...that I wasn't allowed to eat. LOL...good times!

As I recall....Day 3 was the worst. After that, I just kinda gave up, felt broken...and limped slowly across the finish line.

Lotta people say you get used to it and it's not that bad. In my book, those people cannot be trusted. :lol:

Yes to the red! I feel totally glucose-deprived. And I have huge dark circles under my eyes which is a known side-effect for low-carbers lol. I want to give in and eat fruit, reasoning that it can't possibly be UNhealthy, but I really want my surgery to be as safe as possible and I know this diet will drop the most amount of weight the fastest.

As to the purple... my MIL had to do a 2-day liquid diet prior to a surgery she had. She kept telling me the other night that you don't feel hunger, it's not that bad. Of course I didn't say anything because she has been so sweet and supportive (we do not have the best history so her support is extremely refreshing and welcome!). But in my mind I was thinking... Two DAYS compared to two WEEKS????? Hush up!! Lol! But she is right that I haven't had much hunger. It's just the other side effects, particularly the constant headache.

18 hours ago, MzNatalia said:

I’m currently three and a half weeks into a six week liquid diet. I totally understand where you are coming from. Take this time, if you can, to stop focusing on what you could be eating and focus on what you’ll make to eat post surgery. I’ve found recipes I can’t wait to try during the puréed/soft food stage and beyond.

I also stopped cooking for my family so there’s no temptation. I’m using the extra free time to do things I haven’t been able to do for years. Pick up an old or new hobby or read a book that you have been intending to for years.

You can do this! You made it through all the pre-op hurdles and you will get through this!

Thank you so much for your sweet comment. :778_heartbeat: I'm definitely anticipating my pureed food stage. I had therapy today and spent at least 10 minutes cataloging all the stuff I would be able to eat during that stage for my therapist LOL. You're so amazing for being able to make it 3.5 weeks so far - you rock!!!!

4 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Girl! Shut up, ya big whiner! :D (oh wait...serry not serry, that was me I was yelling at and I don't even start mine until Monday :D )

Ok, carry on carrying on!! :D You know you can do this. And you know the reward at the end of it is not a train coming out of a tunnel! ((hugs))

Did you get scheduled???? I must have missed that post!!!! Thanks for the encouragement - and yes I do need to stop whining, actually! Not that I can make it better through the power of positive thinking or anything but I can certainly stop making it worse with the pity parties!