Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ESG scheduled for February 6

48 minutes ago, kakatlady612 said:

Hi Patricia Holland I just saw your post. My grand father in law was from North Holland, great grand mother in law Freislander. My FIL never taught my late husband the language, they must have been too eager to assimilate into the US. Don't worry about your written English-language, I have been trying to,learn basic Dutch, there is no one left of the older generation to teach me. I even had trouble pronouncing gadaan. I wanted to learn because it is a part of my children and grand-daughter's ethnic heritage. I wish I could have met Opa and Oma. I shouldn't be over here although I too will,be having weight loss surgery I will have a RnY in March. I just wanted to welcome you to Bariatric Pal.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

hai kakatlady nice to meet you. Dutch is a raelly hard language to learn. but i understand youre point because its apart off you. so hallo leuk je te ontmoeten, hello nice to meet you😊

Hope4momof4, hey, no cold feet for you! You've got this and are 3 days away from beginning the phase of your life where you are in control of your weight and don't feel the "desire" to snack or "crave" for sweets. ESG and the right mindset have done this for me, down 36 pounds since November. I have 10 more pounds to go to reach my half-way target on weight loss. I have not been down to my current weight since my early 40's and I feel younger than this. Think going down in clothes one size and then they are still loose, sound good?

My procedure went smoothly, did not have a sore throat from the endoscope, did not have nausea afterwards (thanks to the meds provided, just take them and relax). I slept a lot the day of my procedure and was up and around the day after. You know the diet, you have prepared with foods and all the tips we can provide, there's nothing more for you to do than stay strong and keep the courage of your convictions, it will turn out fine.

Don't forget the positive impact you becoming more healthy will have on your family. My wife has lost 20 pounds as we try to live a more healthy lifestyle together now. One of our teen daughters has also lost 10 pounds since the holidays, parents are role models for their kids and our actions truly matter. Keep in touch, we'll keep you strong!

Tex

On 1/31/2018 at 6:45 PM, LivingLife100 said:

I'm postop 1 day and Ibwas very nervous before but all these lovely bariatricpals helped me through! I have kids too. My dr said would you expect someone with a bad knee to not get knee surgery and just hobble around the rest of their life? No! They get the surgery. We are hobbling around in life and need help. My dr had the GS on himself! We can do this! No more hobbling in life!

LivingLife, welcome to the forum, glad to hear you're doing well. VSG should make a big difference as well. Keep sharing your experiences, there are many who would like to see these changes in their lives but hesitate due to the unknown. Those of us who have had procedures have a great gift to give in sharing how it went, what we felt and the results we see along the way. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Tex

On 2/1/2018 at 2:37 AM, Melesg said:

It's totally normal to worry about your kids at this time. Remember that this is giving them back a fit and healthy mama. And nothing terrible has happened to date with esg. It's safe, routine for doctors who have experience with it and you are in a health facility that deal with unwell patients often. I was nervous before I got to the clinic and then saw how professional and fantastic the staff were and I couldn't stop smiling before I went it. They also give you some sedation before the general anaesthetic. I was out of it half way through my introductory conversation with the anaesthetist. We laughed afterwards that I must be a cheap drunk as I have no tolerance for drugs lol. My procedure was honestly a breeze - just the nausea afterwards that made it unpleasant. But that passes.

Mel x

Melesg, great to hear from you, really like the motivating thoughts you shared! Hope all is going well for you. Similar experience for me, the initial sedation had me fairly weak and I can't recall much from the initial discussion with the anesthetist. Since November procedure I'm the ultimate cheap drunk! Take care!

Tex

1 hour ago, Tex Slim 66 said:

Hope4momof4, hey, no cold feet for you! You've got this and are 3 days away from beginning the phase of your life where you are in control of your weight and don't feel the "desire" to snack or "crave" for sweets. ESG and the right mindset have done this for me, down 36 pounds since November. I have 10 more pounds to go to reach my half-way target on weight loss. I have not been down to my current weight since my early 40's and I feel younger than this. Think going down in clothes one size and then they are still loose, sound good?

My procedure went smoothly, did not have a sore throat from the endoscope, did not have nausea afterwards (thanks to the meds provided, just take them and relax). I slept a lot the day of my procedure and was up and around the day after. You know the diet, you have prepared with foods and all the tips we can provide, there's nothing more for you to do than stay strong and keep the courage of your convictions, it will turn out fine.

Don't forget the positive impact you becoming more healthy will have on your family. My wife has lost 20 pounds as we try to live a more healthy lifestyle together now. One of our teen daughters has also lost 10 pounds since the holidays, parents are role models for their kids and our actions truly matter. Keep in touch, we'll keep you strong!

Tex

You are an amazing source of strength. I’m hoping my experience will be as smooth as yours.

I met with my doctor on Thursday to make sure I knew what to take in terms of meds for the day of procedure and after. He wants me to take the generic Emend for nausea the morning of and then one more the day after in addition to the nausea patch they will give me at the hospital. This should cover any nausea for the first two days. I will also be on Librax for cramping also the morning of the procedure and every four hours for the first two days. After those initial two days it is as needed. The final med is for acid reflux which I’m to take the next day and then for two weeks after. He really reassured me about this procedure as I went in there scared and nervous. He told me I’d be fine and that he’s done at least 50 ESGs at this point and hasn’t seen any complications. What’s interesting is that he tells me that he has been steadily doing 2 per week now! I think Mel was right in saying this procedure is catching on.

In all honesty I’m struggling with the preop liquid diet. I’ve tried for three days to stick to it and by the late afternoon I cave and eat something. Do you guys think this is a real problem? Will this affect my procedure? I will try to stick to it for the remaining three days. I guess that is why I needed this procedure in the first place. I’m also worried that. If I can’t stick to it preop does that mean I won’t be able to succeed postop. Any thoughts?

Please keep me in your thoughts on February 6. I have grown to view you all as family and I truly hope our paths cross one day. I never would have had the courage to do this without you all cheering me on!

All my love.

hope4momof4, I had the same challenge with the pre-op liquid diet. I was still feeling my pm cravings, for me the worst hours were from 4-8 pm, seemed like I couldn't stop munching. I just don't have this physical or mental desire now post ESG, the procedure really helped my hormones in addition to reducing my stomach volume. I only did the Sunday and Monday on liquid only diet and my procedure was Tues AM. No impact to my procedure, last 2 days are what count. All turned out fine.

Your anti-nausea meds are the same as what I took. Your in our thoughts and prayers, your doctor sounds great very reassuring. You're going to make a real difference in your life and the life of your family next week! We're with you all the way!

Tex

17 minutes ago, Tex Slim 66 said:

hope4momof4, I had the same challenge with the pre-op liquid diet. I was still feeling my pm cravings, for me the worst hours were from 4-8 pm, seemed like I couldn't stop munching. I just don't have this physical or mental desire now post ESG, the procedure really helped my hormones in addition to reducing my stomach volume. I only did the Sunday and Monday on liquid only diet and my procedure was Tues AM. No impact to my procedure, last 2 days are what count. All turned out fine.

Your anti-nausea meds are the same as what I took. Your in our thoughts and prayers, your doctor sounds great very reassuring. You're going to make a real difference in your life and the life of your family next week! We're with you all the way!

Tex

Thanks so much Tex! I just breathed a sigh of relief. I’m so glad I’m not the only one who struggled with this. Whew! I’m looking forward to this now.

Btw, my children think I’m getting an endoscopic test done. My husband will be the only one who knows and so did my late mother of course. So you’re right that becoming healthy will be a great example to set for them. Although my 4 boys are and were all wrestlers so their fitness and activity level is already up there. I feel like the odd man out in my household so to speak. It would be great to just participate more actively with them. I have written about this with Mel and being more active in addition to getting the weight off is the main goal. Thanks again Tex!

Thanks so much Tex! I just breathed a sigh of relief. I’m so glad I’m not the only one who struggled with this. Whew! I’m looking forward to this now.
Btw, my children think I’m getting an endoscopic test done. My husband will be the only one who knows and so did my late mother of course. So you’re right that becoming healthy will be a great example to set for them. Although my 4 boys are and were all wrestlers so their fitness and activity level is already up there. I feel like the odd man out in my household so to speak. It would be great to just participate more actively with them. I have written about this with Mel and being more active in addition to getting the weight off is the main goal. Thanks again Tex!

Same goals that I have! Day 5 postop and I can tell this is a great tool to get us to that goal!

3 hours ago, LivingLife100 said:

Same goals that I have! Day 5 postop and I can tell this is a great tool to get us to that goal!

That’s great to hear, LivingLife100. I’m glad we can go through journey together. I’m only one week behind you. What did you find was your biggest challenge? What makes you say this is a great tool? How are you feeling 5 days out? Do you notice any other change besides a decrease in hunger and appetite? I would definitely appreciate any information you could share. I have excellent “veteran” ESGers on this forum who have provided me with invaluable info about the procedure but I am always looking for more experiences especially since yours was so very recent. Thank you and I hope we can reach our goal together.

That’s great to hear, LivingLife100. I’m glad we can go through journey together. I’m only one week behind you. What did you find was your biggest challenge? What makes you say this is a great tool? How are you feeling 5 days out? Do you notice any other change besides a decrease in hunger and appetite? I would definitely appreciate any information you could share. I have excellent “veteran” ESGers on this forum who have provided me with invaluable info about the procedure but I am always looking for more experiences especially since yours was so very recent. Thank you and I hope we can reach our goal together.

Biggest challenge was just getting over the fear of surgery due to wanting to be there for my family. People here have been amazingly supportive and helped me jump that one. The next challenge thus far is just keeping that hydration up all day long! I feel really good (crazy!) 5 days out. I'm exhausted but can still walk around and "be a Mom". My DH has fully taken over laundry and other strenuous housekeeping tasks. I am irritable [emoji23] I am more quick to be annoyed by too much sound and such. I'm sure that will pass. [emoji23].

My dietian and also my trainer likened my weight loss journey thus far like this:
Before the surgery, you are trying to dig a big hole....with a spoon. You are amazingly focused and diligent but sometimes when you look up and see how long it takes with such effort, you just want to throw your spoon at the neighbors' home. The neighbors have huge shovels since birth and are very proud of them. Your humble spoon works but takes great diligence and time.
After surgery, (and I already can tell the difference with the feeling in my stomach and am adjust my mentality also), you have a new tool! It is an awesome big shovel! Now instead of spoonfuls for the effort you are shoveling great big chunks! You still have to be diligent and put in the effort; this new tool is so much more joyous and less frustrating to use than then one we have had our whole lives. Heck, no wonder some people enjoy digging!

Other changes: mostly mental for me. If I was willing to go to these lengths, then I am worth continuing that journey. So glad to share our journeys!

On 02/02/2018 at 10:05 PM, patriciaholland said:

already red alot of youre storys hoe are you doing now with eading en weight loss sorrie my englisch isnt very good

Welcome Patricia!

On 04/02/2018 at 1:06 AM, hope4momof4 said:

You are an amazing source of strength. I’m hoping my experience will be as smooth as yours.

I met with my doctor on Thursday to make sure I knew what to take in terms of meds for the day of procedure and after. He wants me to take the generic Emend for nausea the morning of and then one more the day after in addition to the nausea patch they will give me at the hospital. This should cover any nausea for the first two days. I will also be on Librax for cramping also the morning of the procedure and every four hours for the first two days. After those initial two days it is as needed. The final med is for acid reflux which I’m to take the next day and then for two weeks after. He really reassured me about this procedure as I went in there scared and nervous. He told me I’d be fine and that he’s done at least 50 ESGs at this point and hasn’t seen any complications. What’s interesting is that he tells me that he has been steadily doing 2 per week now! I think Mel was right in saying this procedure is catching on.

In all honesty I’m struggling with the preop liquid diet. I’ve tried for three days to stick to it and by the late afternoon I cave and eat something. Do you guys think this is a real problem? Will this affect my procedure? I will try to stick to it for the remaining three days. I guess that is why I needed this procedure in the first place. I’m also worried that. If I can’t stick to it preop does that mean I won’t be able to succeed postop. Any thoughts?

Please keep me in your thoughts on February 6. I have grown to view you all as family and I truly hope our paths cross one day. I never would have had the courage to do this without you all cheering me on!

All my love.

Nearly time my friend!

Dont worry if your pre op hasn't been perfect, it won't change a thing. Just that clear liquid phase is essential to stick to. The excitement will take over by then and I found it easy to stick to the clear fluids..

if the nerves kick in during the days, hours and minutes before your procedure just close your eyes, slow your breathing and think of the first things you want to do when you are skinny mini. Think about how nice it with feel to be fit and healthy, enjoying the sunshine and really living life to the max.

worry won't change anything for the better so just know you are in great hands with a precious guardian angle seeing you through this.

you got this, ten times over. Absolutely got it. Imagine where you weight will be in a months time - now that's exciting,

lots of love to you and I will be thinking of you and eagerly awaiting your updates xoxo

Hi ESG Community,

Where did everyone go? Please continue sharing your experiences after having the endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty. Are you still losing weight? Are there any great tips you've learned along the way? Do you still feel that the non-surgical procedure was the way to go?

There's not much info on what happens as time progresses. Anything that you can share will be helpful to those of who are traveling the road behind you.

18 hours ago, Melesg said:

Nearly time my friend!

Dont worry if your pre op hasn't been perfect, it won't change a thing. Just that clear liquid phase is essential to stick to. The excitement will take over by then and I found it easy to stick to the clear fluids..

if the nerves kick in during the days, hours and minutes before your procedure just close your eyes, slow your breathing and think of the first things you want to do when you are skinny mini. Think about how nice it with feel to be fit and healthy, enjoying the sunshine and really living life to the max.

worry won't change anything for the better so just know you are in great hands with a precious guardian angle seeing you through this.

you got this, ten times over. Absolutely got it. Imagine where you weight will be in a months time - now that's exciting,

lots of love to you and I will be thinking of you and eagerly awaiting your updates xoxo

Great advice my dear. Helped me get through today. I hope you’re right and my late mother is looking down on me and protecting me. I’m going in tomorrow morning. My check in is at 6:30 AM. I’m hoping to be home by afternoon God willing. Of course I will post as soon as I am able to. Thank you all for the prayers, love, and kindness you’ve shown me throughout this process. I’ll see you all on the other side. 💝🤞🏻💝🤞🏻

Edited by hope4momof4