Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never been under anesthesia

My weight loss surgery is scheduled for February 22nd and it will be the first time I'm going under general anesthesia. I'm not scared about the surgery itself; I'm more anxious, scared, and nervous about the anesthesia. I know I shouldn't be fearful about being put under, but I can't help it. I think I'm scared that I won't wakeup or I'll wakeup during the surgery itself or I won't be knocked out at all. I feel kinda of stupid to be feeling like this.

What is it like being put under anesthesia? I think knowing other people's experiences will put me at ease somewhat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

My weight loss surgery is scheduled for February 22nd and it will be the first time I'm going under general anesthesia. I'm not scared about the surgery itself; I'm more anxious, scared, and nervous about the anesthesia. I know I shouldn't be fearful about being put under, but I can't help it. I think I'm scared that I won't wakeup or I'll wakeup during the surgery itself or I won't be knocked out at all. I feel kinda of stupid to be feeling like this.
What is it like being put under anesthesia? I think knowing other people's experiences will put me at ease somewhat.
Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

It's understandable, a lot of people feel this way. Ask if you can get a Valium prior to going into surgery.Best of luck on your weight loss journey.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had never been put under either as this was my first surgery. I remember them giving me some medicine to relax, I remember starting to wheel down to the OR. Then I was waking up in the recovery room trying to pull my oxygen mask off.

Its normal to feel nervous, but the majority of the time things go smoothly.

Edited by KimTriesRNY
Spelling

Good times. Good. Good. Times.

:)

It always involves "happy toes" = bright orange toenail polish (so far I've never been ripped for having tnp on during surgery.)

It always involves Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb blasting on the OR room stereo.

It always involves lots of Fentanyl and chit chat. :)

Then it's good night Irene, turn off the lights...

I come to in recovery, sitting up, and I don't remember being out, but I'm talking a mile a minute to the nurses and crackin jokes. (I'm a happy drunk.)

It was the same for me! I was way nervous about anesthesia than the surgery itself. Once it was time to go to the OR they gave me what they called the "I don't care" meds. It hit immediately and literally all cares went out the door.
I vaguely remember someone telling me to scoot myself off the bed and onto the table then I remember the mask they said was "oxygen". Next thing I know I was in the recovery room half out of it. And then up to my floor.

The OR and pre-op nurses were so nice. We all just jokes around for a while until it was time to go.. I had a really good experience and I hope yours goes well too!

That's my worry /fear too. Never been under before, never had surgery before. I'm great with everything else. But that still scares me.
A friend says it's almost like going to sleep. You fall asleep and then wake up.

I talked to my future surgeon about my fears and she told me that of over 450 patients they never lost one. The personnel has worked with people bigger than me (which is an achievement in itself) but it calmed me somewhat. Once I'll have my date... Ask me again lol

Trust your surgery team and keep us updated!

I had never been under general anaesthesia before my RNY. I didn't find it a pleasant experience but I am so pleased that I went through with it. It is worth it. xx

14 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I had never been put under either as this was my first surgery. I remember them giving me some medicine to relax, I remember starting to wheel down to the OR. Then I was waking up in the recovery room trying to pull my oxygen mask off.

Its normal to feel nervous, but the majority of the time things go smoothly.

About the same for me. I remember getting back into the room, saying they're going to start the gas, and that was it. Then it's like waking up from a deep sleep.

My WLS was the fourth time (I think) that I've been put under. It really is like falling asleep. They'll let you know when it's going to start and then you're out pretty quick. I do terrible waking up from anesthesia. I'm groggy for hours. Even a full dose of Nyquil before bed leaves me feeling out of it for hours the next morning. Look at it this way. You basically have a guy/gal there where their only job is to monitor you while you're out. They aren't going to be running all around doing other things, taking smoke breaks, etc.

Honestly it's one of those things where once you do it you realize it's not that big a deal. You'll do fine. :)

I have had multiple surgeries, like others have said it's smooth, quick and a deep sleep sensation.,i remember a few times being asked to count,backwards. My last time "out" was for my EGD in December. I was laying on my side, IVd, with warm blankies on, I said Hi Dr Mujtaba to my gastroenterologist, nice to see you, the next thing I knew I was waking up in the Ambulatory Care Center room and my procedure was over. Other surgeries I remember waking up in recovery cold and slightly disordinated but I always had nurses and surgical techs,to watch over me, I felt protected,and even loved, like I was the most important patient in the world. Although nothing something you would want to do everyday it's not THAT BAD.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I've been put under a few times. I've been awake as I've been wheeled into the OR and am aware of the mask being put on. Everyone is really nice and attentive (as someone said, there is someone there whose entire job is to watch over you) and then nothing - you're asleep. For my sleeve, the anesthesiologists came to see me in the prep area to tell me it was hug and a kiss time. Hubby gave me a kiss and turned to leave. That's all I remember. Woke up in recovery with hubby next to me again. I am really groggy when I wake up. Hubs is one of those 'happy drunks' when he comes out of anesthesia.

I totally understand the anxiety - had it myself the first time. But it's really the easiest part of surgery for me.