Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve cancelled during surgery hiatal hernia

Doc opened me up and discovered a large hiatal hernia that was missed by the endoscopy. Closed me back up due to my age -69- and says I should have the bypass instead. Advice anyone? So depressed as I have 6 incisions and no sleeve!

Oh cbf, I know how disappointing that is. My hubby went thru some terrible stuff. He had the Lap Band for 13years. It malfunctioned and he went in to have it removed along with his gallbladder. Then he was going to be revised to the RNY. (his age was 63) The Lap Band had eroded into his liver so they took out the Band and gallbladder then closed him up. The Surgeon told him that in 3 months they would do the RNY. Well, he became deathly sick and he really almost died. He had 5 infections in his stomach 2 of which we all have in our bodies at all times and 3 that he contacted from surgery. He was sick for 10 months and we thought he wasn't going to make it. He still after 5 years has not got all his strength back. So fast forward on June 2, 2016 we go to Juarez, Mexico because we finally fired the Surgeon that did both of our WLS. We paid cash out of pocket over $11,000.00 And still he didn't get what he wanted, The RNY he ended up getting the Sleeve. His weight loss hasn't been over the moon but as we all know it is a tool and we have to put in the work to make it happen. he does great for some and not so good at times. I didn't want to go so much but just wanted to welcome you also. I had a RNY and I have done much better with it than my hubby's SLeeve. I am so grateful for my RNY. It was very dishearting as I am sure you know 1st hand. , I had my RNY at the age of 56. And he had his Sleeve at 63. Take care of you!! I hope everything works out for you!! Did your DR tell u how long it would be before they do your surgery? Hang Tight

Oh man...rough shake! That stinks, cbf. Did they fix your hernia, at least?

Nope. Seeing the surgeon tomorrow to see what my options are. I may go to bypass so that my diabetes will resolve which was the number one reason for the surgery. Scared tho

wondering whether my insurance will pay for a second surgery. Not sure how long I’d have to wait before it could be done.

Edited by cbf

She felt that I would be back in 5 years for a conversion to bypass due to severe GERD and that I would be near 75

I had a small hiatal hernia that was discovered on my EGD pre op. I was always going for gastric bypass anyways but they did repair the hernia while they did my bypass. I had no symptoms of a hernia, have never even had heartburn in my life.

My surgeon discovered the same thing but he just repaired it and continued with my sleeve. I'm 45 so the age is the only reason that I can think of that validates his decision because of prolonged time under anesthesia.