Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is eating like 6 months or more after gastric sleeve?

I am preparing for my gastric sleeve surgery and wanted to know if anyone could tell me what eating is like 6 months or longer after surgery? I have found a lot of information for the first month after surgery but not much for longer term. Thank you!

It's like eating before surgery...just smaller portions. Some foods may not sit as well or you may not enjoy them as much as you did before. Everybody is different. For most they can eat anything that they did before, but others take longer. For the most part it's honestly eating like normal but not as much of it.

Thank you for your reply! This is good news!

I’m almost 9 months post-op, down 85 lbs. I eat what I want, but still eat my Protein first and I fill up quickly. I have treats when I want but in very small quantities. Deeply grateful for the surgery and the freedom it’s given me, and feel like a million bucks. Now I don’t focus on food much and still drink almost no alcohol, which is a big change from pre-op. I don’t miss these things at all — feels freeing.

I am preparing for my gastric sleeve surgery and wanted to know if anyone could tell me what eating is like 6 months or longer after surgery? I have found a lot of information for the first month after surgery but not much for longer term. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, PasadenaMom said:

I’m almost 9 months post-op, down 85 lbs. I eat what I want, but still eat my Protein first and I fill up quickly. I have treats when I want but in very small quantities. Deeply grateful for the surgery and the freedom it’s given me, and feel like a million bucks. Now I don’t focus on food much and still drink almost no alcohol, which is a big change from pre-op. I don’t miss these things at all — feels freeing.

Did you find that you go through stalls in weight loss? I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and have not lost anything in 3 weeks. Tell me there's hope!! lol.

22 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Did you find that you go through stalls in weight loss? I am 5 1/2 weeks post op and have not lost anything in 3 weeks. Tell me there's hope!! lol.

Damn near everyone will go through a stall or multiple stalls. They're frustrating but once you come to terms with the fact it's normal it really isn't a big deal. More annoying than anything. Sometimes they last a few days or a week, other times a month. It's a good time to review your diet (keep logging your food) and see if some tweaks may be needed. For some cutting a few more carbs out will help, others it's a needed increase in exercise, and for some their calories may be too low. Unfortunately it's a situation where there's no single right answer for everyone.

45 minutes ago, missmaryc said:

Thank you for your reply! This is good news!

Not that I was doing this 6 months out, but you will find that you simply can't do things that you did before. For instance I went out with some friends to BW3 a while back. I could only manage about 1/2 a beer and maybe three wings before I felt stuffed. Just isn't room for both. There are some foods I still avoid being a year out. I may have a small bit of rice from time to time but can't eat much of it as it doesn't sit well. I can't do fried foods even in small doses either. I tried a small bit of Chinese food from a favorite local place in December and couldn't do it. The thing is I don't miss any of that stuff. It was a planned for treat that I wanted to try and realized I really didn't miss it that much.

With all that being said I have no regrets. Sure it can be a bit frustrating at times when you fill up quickly and everyone else is still eating, but you learn to pace yourself and adjust.

I really appreciate all the information! It makes me calmer about my decision. It's also nice to hear that you can have a little beer. Although I dont drink beer, I do like wine or other spirits occasionally. I went to a seminar the the doctor at that seminar said after the surgery you could never have wine again. I just enjoy a little wine every now and then and I dont think I would miss it if I were allowed to have 1/4 or 1/2 glass instead of 1 full glass.

HI there! I am 3 1/2 moths post op and here is a look at my daily intake on average:

breakfast: cup of coffee with Protein Shake added for flavor (coffee keeps me regular) and then a boiled egg/egg cup/etc.

snack: one serving of nuts or beef Jerky

lunch: about 2-4 oz. chicken/pot roast/left overs Protein, small salad or veggie...about 4-5 oz total...some days more, some days less

snack: half "power crunch bar"or another boiled egg or string cheese

Dinner: same as lunch

sometimes another snack: 1 serving of skinny pop or something listed above...

I prefer to eat my calories instead of drinking them but if I am below 60-70 grams of protein, I sneak in a shake. The stalls happen...very often for me! The other day I was 229 then this morning, 231...I did NOTHING different other than I am getting sick so that might be the issue. You will find your way...I promise!

1 minute ago, Sleevedincali said:

HI there! I am 3 1/2 moths post op and here is a look at my daily intake on average:

breakfast: cup of coffee with Protein Shake added for flavor (coffee keeps me regular) and then a boiled egg/egg cup/etc.

lunch: about 2-4 oz. chicken/pot roast/left overs Protein, small salad or veggie...about 4-5 oz total...some days more, some days less

I prefer to eat my calories instead of drinking them but if I am below 60-70 grams of Protein, I sneak in a shake. The stalls happen...very often for me! The other day I was 229 then this morning, 231...I did NOTHING different other than I am getting sick so that might be the issue. You will find your way...I promise!

2 minutes ago, Sleevedincali said:

I prefer to eat my calories instead of drinking them but if I am below 60-70 grams of protein, I sneak in a shake. The stalls happen...very often for me! The other day I was 229 then this morning, 231...I did NOTHING different other than I am getting sick so that might be the issue. You will find your way...I promise!

TThanks so much! This is very helpful!!!!

2 hours ago, missmaryc said:

Something else to think about...even though my cravings are soooooooooo much lower than before, once in a while I slip up and have a handful of goldfish, a few potato chips, etc. The difference is, I used to eat the entire bag in one sitting!!!!!!!! You will not be perfect and really, perfect is not realistic.....

2 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Yes, plenty of stalls. There is hope but it's more like long term, peaceful, optimistic good feeling and forward progress, not the kind of panicky feeling you get when you're anxious about something (stalls feel like that to me). You did the right thing. It will work. This is a chance to explore and fix a lot of areas of life - not just weight. Enjoy foods as you reintroduce them. Think about them. Enjoy other things too! This will work. It will take time. It's not a race. There's no need to panic. Just be intentional about what you're doing, listen to your surgeon and NP, and do the work every day.

9 minutes ago, Sleevedincali said:

Something else to think about...even though my cravings are soooooooooo much lower than before, once in a while I slip up and have a handful of goldfish, a few potato chips, etc. The difference is, I used to eat the entire bag in one sitting!!!!!!!! You will not be perfect and really, perfect is not realistic.....

Good to know!!! Thanks!!!

I will be 6 months post op on the 14th of Feb. I pretty much follow the rule of Protein first but sometimes I slip up. Like today, for example, I came home from work starving and there was a box of veggie pizza on the kitchen table. I grabbed a slice and started eating. I finished the whole slice! I was shocked because previously I couldn't even get down half a slice. It was a bit too much for my sleeve though and I know I pushed it. Still paying the price for it it 1 hour later :)... that should give you an idea of what you CAN eat, not necessarily what you SHOULD. I should mention it wasn't a thick crust pizza... I know I have no excuse lol I was hungry and it was there... old habits die hard :/

Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, soready17 said:

I will be 6 months post op on the 14th of Feb. I pretty much follow the rule of Protein first but sometimes I slip up. Like today, for example, I came home from work starving and there was a box of veggie pizza on the kitchen table. I grabbed a slice and started eating. I finished the whole slice! I was shocked because previously I couldn't even get down half a slice. It was a bit too much for my sleeve though and I know I pushed it. Still paying the price for it it 1 hour later :)... that should give you an idea of what you CAN eat, not necessarily what you SHOULD. I should mention it wasn't a thick crust pizza... I know I have no excuse lol I was hungry and it was there... old habits die hard :/

Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you! Your comment is very helpful. I was worried about slipping up! I totally get being overdue for dinner and getting so hungry! Thank you again!