Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with pre op diet

Hiya guys, this is most probably going to be a long post. Don't say I didn't warn you lol

Basically I was scheduled for surgery on the 17th of January in the UK (NHS funded). I had asked for February as it would be more suitable (I was hoping to move) but they rudely told me I can not pick and choose when I get it done. That's fair enough, they're busy, just thought I'd ask. So I had to do a pre op liquid diet for two weeks before. This consists of:

4 pints of semi skimmed milk

2 salty drinks (oxo or bovril)

1-2 sachets of Fibre gel (mixes with Water to help you go to the loo)

And two pints of other sugar free liquid, this can include 1 sachet of sugar free jelly.

It's probably one of the more stricter diets compared to some others but I had done it before OK. 2 days into my diet I got a call saying that my surgery was canceled because of the winter bed crisis. I was a little bit pissed off but shrugged and thought I'll make myself something to eat. Seconds before I started I got a call telling me it was UNcancelled. That was lucky.

So back to the liquid diet I went. I forgot that last time I did this liquid diet I was a heavy smoker. I quit cigarettes 3 months prior to be as healthy as possible for surgery. The cravings ontop of having some stresses regarding moving out and other issues at home made the diet really hard. Like really hard. I didn't cheat once though, just had some extra milk one day that I was really hungry.

The night before surgery I was prepping myself to take my injection to thin my blood at 6pm. I was told to come into surgery at 7am that morning. Then at about 5pm I got a text on my phone that read:

Dear madam, we regret to inform you that your surgery on 17/01/18 has been CANCELED please call the offices on... Bla bla bla

My heart sunk. 14 hours before going to hospital they canceled. So unfair, I struggled so much yet tried so hard and did so well.

I called them and asked what was going on. They explained that the bed crisis was still happening. I asked what am I to do regarding my liquid diet. The lady said to stay on it until I receive a call and a bed becomes free but when that would be she couldn't say.

I was on the liquid diet for four more days in limbo not knowing how much longer I would be having freezing cold jelly and milk for in the winter. It was pretty **** if I'm honest.

I got a call on the 19th day of being on liquid from a lady who said that I shouldn't of been told to stay on the liquid diet. There was no way a bed would be available before two weeks, and that Ive been offered the 8th of February. This means that I was allowed for for THREE days and had to do the 2 week liquid diet all over again. The nurse advised me to have a Protein rich, low carb no fat diet.

Although part of me wanted to scream, punch a wall and raid the fridge for the worst things possible, I ended up doing the opposite. Set up a home gym in my garage to take my emotions out on and stuck to having very healthy food and even some Protein Shakes in between.

Now I'm here, day four of my SECOND pre op diet. 32 days without food in total not including the 3 measly days in between.

I'm so gutted that I'm on this situation. A part of me wanted to back out of the whole thing entirely just because of the thought of the liquid diet. I find it so unfair that some people don't even have ANY pre op requirements, and I have to go through this.

I'm really starting to struggle. I've called the clinic and asked if I can shrink my liver in a way which includes food but they told me to wait for a phone call back from the nurse.

Please tell me that if I have a day off it's not going to effect things too much. My liver must be the size of a pea right now lol! Does it expand again really quickly? Currently getting teary as I'm writing this so going to stop now lol

If you've made it this far, thank you for listening to my story, I'm not really sure what answers I'm looking for, I could probably eat **** all day and it wouldn't harm anything so early before. But some consoling would be nice I guess lol

Louise xxxx

Surgery due January 17th 2018

CW 238

GW 133

Instagram: jeez_sleevedlouise

If you stop now then all of your work was for nothing. Don't give up. It does suck that the winter bed crisis has affected your surgery but if you are really doing this for yourself and to better your health, you will keep pushing through. I would say if you do cheat ( which is not recommended but people do it) then have something healthy (not processed food).

It does suck, there is no way around that but you will hate yourself if you give up. You are also welcoming back all those bad habits you conquered!

Stay strong girl!

giphy.gif

If you stop now then all of your work was for nothing. Don't give up. It does suck that the winter bed crisis has affected your surgery but if you are really doing this for yourself and to better your health, you will keep pushing through. I would say if you do cheat ( which is not recommended but people do it) then have something healthy (not processed food).
It does suck, there is no way around that but you will hate yourself if you give up. You are also welcoming back all those bad habits you conquered!
Stay strong girl!
giphy.gif&key=4e2a6a137c1dfa13037167e67cde97bfb06a42770ca51c5634c1b4b10c771237

Awww lovely response thank you!
I regret to say that I did cave in. The meal wasn't the worst but could of been better lol. I had 3 rashes of grilled bacon, eggs, tinned tomatoes and coleslaw. I'm still craving more bad food but will try not to give in to it! Just need to hear from the asap so I know if I can go on a low carb diet like most people!

CW 238
GW 133

Wow!!!! Holy hell! I'm so sad for you. I can definitely appreciate you being gutted! And starving! Literally! ((hugs)) Please, please, please, don't ruin it. Go back to your milk. Don't even play head games with yourself right now, cuz it will be all to easy to rationalize. Just put the blinders back on and go back to it sweetie. I SWEAR it will be over soon! :wacko:

That seriously sucks. But here are my two cents: I had a hard time sticking to my pre-op diet. I then had a super hard time with my post-op diet. To the point of cheating a few times and putting myself at serious risk of complications. I assumed post-op would be easier but it wasn’t, and the stakes are much higher. I got lucky and nothing happened, but in retrospect I should have sorted out my issues with food before I had surgery.

Wow!!!! Holy hell! I'm so sad for you. I can definitely appreciate you being gutted! And starving! Literally! ((hugs)) Please, please, please, don't ruin it. Go back to your milk. Don't even play head games with yourself right now, cuz it will be all to easy to rationalize. Just put the blinders back on and go back to it sweetie. I SWEAR it will be over soon! :wacko:

Thank you hun, yeah I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and just grin and bear it! If the nurse says no to food then back on the milk I will have to go lol x

CW 238
GW 133

That seriously sucks. But here are my two cents: I had a hard time sticking to my pre-op diet. I then had a super hard time with my post-op diet. To the point of cheating a few times and putting myself at serious risk of complications. I assumed post-op would be easier but it wasn’t, and the stakes are much higher. I got lucky and nothing happened, but in retrospect I should have sorted out my issues with food before I had surgery.

Really yeah that's scary when you know that food cravings lead to complications! To be honest though, I don't know what I would of been like if I just had the surgery when I should have. I would of liked to think that because everything was going as planned I wouldn't of caved in. But it's very hard to say when it hasn't happened! I'm going to try my best to snap out of it. I just had a hot cross bun ffs :(. Tomorrow will have to be a new day

CW 238
GW 133