Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

please help, 2 days post op and miserable

5 hours ago, linda8 said:

I was supposed to have vgs surgery 1/24, but i was dehydrated and the surgery instead took place 1/26. I received fluids in the hospital and was appalled to learn,when I got back home, that I had gained FOURTEEN pounds in the hospital. I am so discouraged. I am very sore, the tylenol with codeine is not halping and I am gettting depressed that i havent had solid food for 10 days and wont for another 19 days.

Has anyone else gained 14 pounds in the hospital? I was on a liquid diet! I want to quit but im afraid of ripping open this stupid sleeve.

You do realize that pre-op & post-op weight gain/loss is expected right? I see a lot of people on here concerned with their gain/loss when it is completely irrelevant. I honestly don’t know why anyone is concerned or is even keeping track at this point when the real concern should be preparing/recovering. Really the only time anyone should be paying attention to the scale is when the transition to solid food has been made & even then results shouldn’t be expected immediately. Before I had surgery I devoured all the Water I could & after surgery received god knows how many bags of fluids as well as the fluids I had started drinking. I don’t have a scale at home & honestly don’t care to. I’ll leave it to doctors appointments or the gym to see what I weigh & even then there’s no rush. All that should matter really is that in the next 6 months to a year I hope to see 100 pounds less of me than a year before & everyone else should be hopeful to see the same.

Edited by Seahawks Fan

If you eat a cheeseburger two days post op, guess what will happen?

1. Mostly likely, you'll puke. Puking solids at two days post op is very dangerous.

2. You could get a piece of it stuck and end up in the emergency room having it surgically removed.

3. You could rupture your stomach suture line. Which means endangering you life, and spending weeks in the hospital unable to eat anything until it heals.

I get that you're disappointed that your weight is up a little. And I get that you're hungry and frustrated. I've been there. Most of us have.

That is no excuse for this degree of acting out and behaving like you didn't understand any of the limits you were committing to when you had the surgery.

You chose this. You knew it was permanent. You knew that not following the prescribed diet could cause you injury.

You need to stop this acting out immediately and start following your program to the letter if you want to heal and have a good outcome.

There is no excuse for eating cheese and cheese crackers 48 hours after surgery and threatening to eat a cheeseburger.

Is being angry about a temporary Water weight gain really worth risking your life?

Try to be patient with the process. It sounds like you're panicking under the realization that a significant source of comfort is no longer available for you...and that's understandable, but it needs to be addressed. Not judging you at all...just very concerned that you're about to do something you'll badly regret. I truly hope you feel better soon.

Edited by Creekimp13

13 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

If you eat a cheeseburger two days post op, guess what will happen?

1. Mostly likely, you'll puke. Puking solids at two days post op is very dangerous.

2. You could get a piece of it stuck and end up in the emergency room having it surgically removed.

3. You could rupture your stomach suture line. Which means endangering you life, and spending weeks in the hospital unable to eat anything until it heals.

I get that you're disappointed that your weight is up a little. And I get that you're hungry and frustrated. I've been there. Most of us have.

That is no excuse for this degree of acting out and behaving like you didn't understand any of the limits you were committing to when you had the surgery.

You chose this. You knew it was permanent. You knew that not following the prescribed diet could cause you injury.

You need to stop this acting out immediately and start following your program to the letter if you want to heal and have a good outcome.

There is no excuse for eating cheese and cheese crackers 48 hours after surgery and threatening to eat a cheeseburger.

Is being angry about a temporary Water weight gain really worth risking your life?

Try to be patient with the process. It sounds like you're panicking under the realization that a significant source of comfort is no longer available for you...and that's understandable, but it needs to be addressed. Not judging you at all...just very concerned that you're about to do something you'll badly regret. I truly hope you feel better soon.

I did NOT sign up for a weight gain of 14 pounds while following the program do the letter. That is NOT a little.

13 hours ago, Seahawks Fan said:

You do realize that pre-op & post-op weight gain/loss is expected right? I see a lot of people on here concerned with their gain/loss when it is completely irrelevant. I honestly don’t know why anyone is concerned or is even keeping track at this point when the real concern should be preparing/recovering. Really the only time anyone should be paying attention to the scale is when the transition to solid food has been made & even then results shouldn’t be expected immediately. Before I had surgery I devoured all the Water I could & after surgery received god knows how many bags of fluids as well as the fluids I had started drinking. I don’t have a scale at home & honestly don’t care to. I’ll leave it to doctors appointments or the gym to see what I weigh & even then there’s no rush. All that should matter really is that in the next 6 months to a year I hope to see 100 pounds less of me than a year before & everyone else should be hopeful to see the same.

No I did not realize this weight gain was to be expected this is why I created this post asking if any one else had gained 14 pounds. Thanks for the info

13 hours ago, Losebig said:

Are you allowed purees or just liquid ? If you can have purees a pureed Soup is fairly satisfying at that stage. If its just liquids some of the Protein Shakes have additives that are suppossed to help hunger. I used premier shakes and while they don’t satisfy the mental part of eating they do make you full and take away the physical hunger.

Thank you for the suggestions. At this point. I am only allowed Clear Liquids. But I will keep your suggestions in mind as I progress

14 hours ago, lindsayAK said:

Did you talk to a therapist before the surgery? It may help a ton to talk to that person again along with your nutritionist. Between the fluids and gas I also gained in the first few days and then I lost all of that plus some a few days later. I had days where I felt just like how you are feeling but reminded myself that there is no turning back. If you eat a cheeseburger there is a high chance you will end up in the hospital again and that will only delay your ability to eat normal foods again. Just remind yourself why you decided to have this surgery in the first place and hopefully that will help you. You will be able to eat again!

ThAnk you it's good to know I'm not alone in how I am feeling I appreciate your response

Are you allowed purees or just liquid ? If you can have purees a pureed Soup is fairly satisfying at that stage. If its just liquids some of the Protein Shakes have additives that are suppossed to help hunger. I used premier shakes and while they don’t satisfy the mental part of eating they do make you full and take away the physical hunger.

15 hours ago, WaywardMama said:

Hey , sorry you are miserable but eating something before the doc says can make your staples come undone or worse. I’d call your surgeon to get some advice. Or if you have a nutritionist ?
I hope you feel better soon. Please don’t take my post as mean I just don’t want you hurting yourself.

Thank you for respirator nding. There is nothing mean in your post just concern I called my surgeons office they could give me no explanation for the 14 pound gain thanks for the concern

Linda....very glad to hear you're gonna stick to your clear liquids and work your program. You're stronger than you think you are.

I think everyone's had your cheeseburger moment...where they get so discouraged they just want to run back to what they know is comforting. It's understandable....but just so dang dangerous this close to surgery.

I'm guessing by the end of the week, you're going to lose some of that Water weight and feel a whole lot better about this situation. The first couple of weeks can be so tough.

Hang in there...it gets better.

Almost everyone leaves the hospital heavier than when they went in because of the fluids and air they pump into you.

My advice is to stay off of the scale for the first month post-op. There is going to be variation during this time, and if that upsets you, then it will make for a unpleasant experience (at a time when the experience is unpleasant enough).

Hang in there and good luck!

22 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

Almost everyone leaves the hospital heavier than when they went in because of the fluids and air they pump into you.

My advice is to stay off of the scale for the first month post-op. There is going to be variation during this time, and if that upsets you, then it will make for a unpleasant experience (at a time when the experience is unpleasant enough).

Thanks for the info I am God no yo stay off the scale a few pounds would not have bothered me to the degree that the 14 pound gain did thanks for your knowledge be resonse and advice!

22 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

39 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Linda....very glad to hear you're gonna stick to your Clear Liquids and work your program. You're stronger than you think you are.

I think everyone's had your cheeseburger moment...where they get so discouraged they just want to run back to what they know is comforting. It's understandable....but just so dang dangerous this close to surgery.

I'm guessing by the end of the week, you're going to lose some of that Water weight and feel a whole lot better about this situation. The first couple of weeks can be so tough.

Hang in there...it gets better.

The words of encouragement mean so much to me. I'm so blessed to have found such a supportive group of friends to help me through the do things spots of this process.

1 minute ago, BlueGirl1920 said:

I have been thinking about you all night. It is possible you are not drinking enough fluids other than Water. Split pea Soup blended is awesome. Sugar Free Chocolate pudding is super helpful, limit one at most two a day. I hope that helps, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, linda8 said:

The words of encouragement mean so much to me. I'm so blessed to have found such a supportive group of friends to help me through the do things spots of this process.

Thank you. I can have Soup and puddles by tomorrow and will try both. Today I'm still on clear liquids. Your concern too Che's my heart thank you

1 hour ago, linda8 said:

No I did not realize this weight gain was to be expected this is why I created this post asking if any one else had gained 14 pounds. Thanks for the info

Don’t worry or eat cheeseburgers. All will be well! I didn’t intend to sound rude or discouraging. You can do this!

Thank you. I will do this and it is easier with the encouragement. I greatly appreciate your oat!