Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op and miserable

I am 5 days post op and today has been miserable! My gas pains are more constant, with every sip of anything i get a horrible sharp pain.. the emotional toll is kicking in! I’m exhausted, emotional, hungry....and uncomfortable.... it gets better right?

Hi Sara. I am one month out and it is a lot tougher than I thought it would be. My doctor gave me Pepsid to take and chewable gas x helped. I am just starting to eat real food and it’s tough. I am down 25.5 pounds.

I hope it gets better. I am 2 days post op and absolutely miserable.

Hi Sara. I am one month out and it is a lot tougher than I thought it would be. My doctor gave me Pepsid to take and chewable gas x helped. I am just starting to eat real food and it’s tough. I am down 25.5 pounds.

I’m down 9 since surgery. 25 down since pre op. And i hope it gets better. Last night i started feeling better but woke up this morning miserable. I think everything is just hitting me at once. Thank you for your support

It's gas in the abdominable cavity from anesthetic and air they pump in there so they can see around the organs. WALKING and more walking will get rid of it. You also have inflammation from surgery causing pain - take the liquid tylenol and take the pain meds, it will ease up in the next week or two. Exhaustion is from not enough Fluid and nutrition - push liquids every 15 minutes - this also gets easier - try warm liquid like tea and alternate with sf popsicles. Hang in there. GERD medicine varies, it may take trying different brands/amounts to find what works for you - also once swelling goes down this should ease as well.

Be patient, nap, walk, read, be kind to yourself....hang in there

I have so many friends that said they were never hungry. I k is it’s a mind tho g but i too feel hungry but hoping it gets better. I drink a lot of Water. Protein Drink, ,, Gatorade 0. And make sure you walk... i had some gas pain the first couple days but other than that no problems.

You may not go to the restroom for a while. You have only had liquids. My doctor told me to take gas x. They had me up walking two hours after surgery. I also had a hernia fixed so i had a lot of gas pain ... it went away in like two days. In my papers it said to take milk of magnesia if you get constipated and don’t expect to go more than 1 or two times a week . U will be eating high Protein and taking Iron pills

Hi there, I unfortunately cannot stay out of the bathroom. Surgery was 1-11-18 and about 20 minutes after eating I have to run to the bathroom. I am always hungry as well. I am feeling the emotional toll of it all. Hang in there. Everyone's body works differently.

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi there, I unfortunately cannot stay out of the bathroom. Surgery was 1-11-18 and about 20 minutes after eating I have to run to the bathroom. I am always hungry as well. I am feeling the emotional toll of it all. Hang in there. Everyone's body works differently.

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

Are you making sure not to drink after eating? It’s very hard for me to stick to that, but I have noticed if I drink too soon after eating, it goes straight through me and I end up in the bathroom.

I like to tell people that this is a process where you are healing as you are slowly going through the differnt food stages. As you slowly move through them you slowly are healing and things get better. It took me a good 12 weeks to find a new way of doing things and my new normal. I think at 6 months I felt really good in my processes and had almost no more pains.

Some people on here it's like they didn't even have surgery, they are back to their full normal lives within 2 days. Than there are most of us who experience weeks of recovery and adjustment.

It's OK, Look, I cried for 7 days after my 4th week. Well, Trump got elected so that was part of it - I didn't have the emotional strength to deal with that hell. But I was also dealing with my healing and life and everything else. So I cried for a week. Then I picked myself up and just kept moving forward. I got into treatment with a therapist, I focus on my goals of Protein, Water, 10K steps and Vitamins.

It will be OK!! You will be OK!!

THanks. I am

at that 4 week mark. I have followed the food plan but it scares me the way i seem hungry and can eat so little and i feel so gross. I appreciate knowing that it gets better. What do u do for Constipation problems besides Water