Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking About Gastric Sleeve

Okay so laying this on here and hoping for some opinions and advice. I know it's ultimately my own decision, but thought I'd put myself forward honestly and see if anyone else can relate or have any advice.

My History

I have been obese for many many years now. I think I was well over 200 pounds by 5th grade. In 6th grade I was 250 pounds. I started working at a horse farm for 2 years, and I got very active and pretty darn healthy. I was eating a LOT better, not as hungry, and I had to remind myself to eat sometimes because I was so busy. I would get home from school, change into my barn clothes, go to the barn, muck the stalls and pastures, take bales of hay to feed all of the horses and prepare all their meals, help do groundwork with the horses my boss was training, etc. But even after 2 years of doing this almost every single day (at least 5-6 days a week, there were weekswhere I would go 7 days a week.) The lowest I could get was 220 pounds. I know I had gained a decent chunk of muscle, so I want to say I had lost about 50 pounds and then gained 20 in muscle, but I could never break under that.

A lot of crud happened by 9th grade, and the horse farm was no longer in business so I ended up gaining weight again. I would go back and fourth between dieting and exercising, I know we (my mother and I) joined Curves once and did that for a few months, we would swim a lot at a rehabilitation pool, etc. But never was able to stick with it after I would plateu.

At the end of 2013 I had started on adipex for an appetite suppressant, but also was super depressed and around 353 pounds. At first I thought the adipex was working, but I think it was mostly from my depression I got to where I didn't want to eat. Then I started having Galbladder attacks if I ate pretty much anything. (Even Soup would send me into an attack) So I was on a Jello, fruit, and bottled Water only diet until March of 2014 as that was the soonest they could get me in for surgery. During this time and several months after I kept up with a good diet, and I ended up getting down to 280 pounds an I was super happy and thought I'd keep with it.. and then I hit a plateau and could NOT get past it.

I had met my (now husband) around this time as well (January of 2014) and he was super supportive and helpful, and since meeting him I am no longer depressed. Throughout the last few years I ended up gaining more weight, and I got pregnant 2016, I did have some issues that might have been from my weight, but our daughter was born very healthily in February of last year (oh my gosh I can't believe it's been almost a year already.) Around this time I was around 320 pounds at the end of the pregnancy, and now (as of 5 days ago) I'm back up to 344, which is extremely frustrating to me.

Dilemna

I'm not going to lie, I've been thinking about having the sleeve or bypass done for a while. Last November I decided "after the new years I'm going to give it one solid year before I consider it." (also gained 20 pounds since then... can only blame holiday season for so much there.) But then a week ago I was talking to one of my husband's family members who had the bypass and is doing absolutely amazing. I asked him a lot of questions, and decide I really should think about it.

I was still debating partially if I should give it the year of trying to do it naturally, when I was doing research because my husband and I were wanting to try for baby #2 late next summer (2019) and if you have the sleeve or bypass you should wait 18 months before getting pregnant. So I did more research, decided on the sleeve, talked to my doctor an she said it was a great idea and to look into insurance and recommended Port Huron for it. My mother and I were thinking of doing it together as we both have similar struggles. We looked into it and we have an appointment set up at their seminar for the surgeries.

During the day time I feel so confident on making the right decision. But at night I always get nervous and wonder if it is the right decision or not. The typical worries of obviously not making it through the surgery and everything is going to be so different. My husband is nervous, and so is my dad. They both suggested to give it the full year and try one more time to lose weight (let's be honest, the past 2 years I have not been putting as much effort as I could in, I get discouraged and love food) but I worry about waiting too late too.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I know I want to be here to watch my daughter (and future children) grow, go to their sports events or drama or music and go on vacations with them and play games, etc, and I want to grow old with my husband, and I know on the path I am on right now, my life will be shortened. But also so scared that I will not make it through the surgery (though I have been cleared and I have handled surgeries well in the past) We still have the appointment for the seminar, but just hoping to get some advice or information on why someone did or didn't. My BMI is 51.5 my only other obesity related problem is very mild sleep apnea. I have 2 herniated discs, which wasn't caused by my obesity but it does make it harder to handle.

I really appreciate any advice given on the topic!

Everyone has these doubts and the overwhelming majority end up saying they wish they'd done it sooner. In my case, I considered the surgery but didn't do it, then had a heart attack later that year. Now I'm happily just st over two weeks post op. Best advice is to go to the seminar and ask all your questions and make the decision that's best for your long term health.

I think most people that have WLS have tried to lose weight through just diet and exercise many times. You don’t come to this decision lightly, and it’s not an easy decision to make.

I thought about having surgery for a few years as well and finally decided to go for it. So far, no regrets but I’m only about 2 months out. It’s already easier getting around at work and I’m already having less joint pain with every pound that comes off.

Im hopeful for the first time in years that I can reach a healthy goal weight. If that means less food during the holidays and not eating huge meals anymore, that’s the choice I had to make for myself and I don’t regret it.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide!

Go for it. Use the prep time to evaluate your relationship w food and start cuttig out soda, caffeine and sugar. Attempt hi Protein liw carb changes, do these a month at a time by working with your pcp or nutritionist, see a psych for consultation on the changes you need to make.

Thank you all for the advice and information. I've been so worried about it and nervous (especially at night when I think about it) but I want to be healthy so bad.. I keep thinking of all the things I want to do when I get healthier.

I have the seminar tomorrow and will move from there. I already brought some Protein Shake supplement and we plan on going for more walks even if it's just in Walmart.

Thank you guys!

Good girl, glad you're gonna make the commitment. I'm 72, I can tell you,what happens to,the body if you wait years to have surgery. Your joints wear out, you end up with them bone on bone and you have 2 knee replacements. Yeah that pain gets better but they are 85 to 90% as good as your natural ones. You get sick and tired of being sick and tired. You start moving slower, if you start out to do something you have to stop once or twice halfway thru. You sit or lay in bed a lot because it hurts to move. You wonder if you're gonna die at this size, if you do will there be a casket big enough and if there is can your family afford it, super size usually is super price. And will there be pallbearer strong enough or like someone I know

get put on the back of a truck? He was nearly 400lbs. Will you see your children and grandchildren grow up,or will all they have,is a picture in a frame? These are some of the reasons I'm having a RnY myself in early-mid March. I know I can make success of it, there is still spunk and a strong will to live in this body. I know the post is long but,its very heartfelt. Go for it,my young friend I believe you'll be happy you did.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

It's been almost a year since I had my sleeve done and I can honestly say it was the best decision I've ever made for myself. I fought my weight for 30 years, and won small battles, but never the war, not until now that it is. I feel healthier and happier than I have in years!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

It's been almost a year since I had my sleeve done and I can honestly say it was the best decision I've ever made for myself. I fought my weight for 30 years, and won small battles, but never the war, not until now that it is. I feel healthier and happier than I have in years!

I have been to every weightloss doctor and plan. I was constantly up and down. I wanted bypass surgery years ago but didn’t then decided i would go through this process. I was approved by insurance in November and had surgery December 26. I had no problems with surgery... have had a tough time with post op liquid diet. I never took any pain meds and started walking the first day out. I had some chest and gas pain at first but don’t have that much anymore. I am hungry at times. I am having Constipation issues.. i think I’m glad I’ve done it. Ask me in another couple months. At least i am trying to get healthy. No sodas.... no sugar!!

Everyone has to weigh the benefits vs risks and decide for themselves. Good for you for digging in and doing that work. Wish you the best no matter what you decide.

(I love my sleeve and wish I'd done it years ago)

Cool article you might enjoy:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/12/7/16587316/bariatric-surgery-weight-loss-lap-band

I was sleeved July 2017 and weighed 233lbs then. I had been through every diet known to google and I would lose a bit of weight, plateau then gain the weight back and more. I am a health professional myself and know that every surgery has risks. However, there has been a lot of research and improvements done such that bariatric surgery is now a very safe procedure. Complications still happen to some but the risks have been significantly lowered over the years. I am one of those people who had zero complications. The surgery is one of the best decisions I made for myself and my health. I have lost close to 60lbs now, eat well and exercise regularly. I am now more positive, confident and generally relaxed. Hope you make the right decision for yourself and your health.

I was sleeved December 26, 2017 with no complications. I must say this first month has been tough with the post op liquid diet!