Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

You bet, Peaches:)

You are psychotic. I do hope you get the help you need. I try to stay away from psychotic people on a message board. Feel free to talk to yourself. It makes you feel important. I won't dignify you with an answer. Get help. You need it.

i appluad your patience. I like how her wikipedia page had a warning on it being an orphan article and that the writer is posisbly related to the person and how there r no other articles or links to verify the info

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Being firm with a patient should not entail belittling her, which is counterproductive. A surgeon can be firm with a patient while still being reasonable and kind.

I can't really give much of a pep talk about following a month-long pre-op liquid diet because I didn't have to endure it, but you do have my sympathies. I was a self-pay patient which meant I didn't have to jump through many hoops, and my BMI was low enough to not require any pre-op dieting. I definitely think being on a liquid diet prior to surgery would be significantly harder than post-op when you're healing and your appetite is radically reduced. It honestly wasn't that much of a challenge for me to follow the post-op dietary instructions without any deviations, even though I'd cheated on every diet I'd ever been on in the past. It's a medical prescription rather than a diet, and if you don't follow it the consequences are far steeper. It's imperative to view it that way. The silver lining of your pre-op diet is that you can go ahead and experiment with different shake recipes (the World According to Egg Face blog is a great resource), and the more weight you lose now, the less you'll have to lose after surgery.

Best of luck!

On 27.1.2018 at 12:22 AM, Creekimp13 said:

If people are overeating...they are not ready to keep themselves safe.

If only people who are "ready" (i. e. who won't overeat) would get the surgery we would have a 100% success rate of surgery. Everyone would lose 100% excess weight, everyone would maintain it. If people would already have overcome overeating before surgery - they wouldn't need the surgery at all.

It's completely unrealistic to expect WLS patients to never overeat again. A surgeon who has his things together should be aware of this. And white knuckling over an amount of six months or three months or whatever the magic timespan for your surgeon might be doesn't proof diddly squat, let alone the patient "doesn't overeat anymore".

Why wear the willpower of the patient out before surgery?

"Why wear the willpower of the patient out before surgery?"

Answer: To prevent death and injury. And to protect yourself against malpractice suits and insurance hikes.

Bariatric surgeons don't owe anyone anything. It is entirely at their discretion who they choose to do surgery on and who they believe will be a safe risk for a procedure they perform. What happens to you...is their butt on the line as much as yours.

They have a right to refuse services to people who are not yet able to follow instructions and keep themselves safe. And they are smart to do so.

As a patient, if you can comply with the requirements of a program, you have a right to be treated.

But you don't get to make the rules. The doctor doing the surgery does.

Edited by Creekimp13

5 hours ago, summerset said:

If only people who are "ready" (i. e. who won't overeat) would get the surgery we would have a 100% success rate of surgery. Everyone would lose 100% excess weight, everyone would maintain it. If people would already have overcome overeating before surgery - they wouldn't need the surgery at all.

It's completely unrealistic to expect WLS patients to never overeat again. A surgeon who has his things together should be aware of this. And white knuckling over an amount of six months or three months or whatever the magic timespan for your surgeon might be doesn't proof diddly squat, let alone the patient "doesn't overeat anymore".

Why wear the willpower of the patient out before surgery?

Nicely stated, and judged by the amount of people liking your post, it appears many agree with your sentiments.

"Why wear the willpower of the patient out before surgery?"
Answer: To prevent death and injury. And to protect yourself against malpractice suits and insurance hikes.
Bariatric surgeons don't owe anyone anything. It is entirely at their discretion who they choose to do surgery on and who they believe will be a safe risk for a procedure they perform. What happens to you...is their butt on the line as much as yours.
They have a right to refuse services to people who are not yet able to follow instructions and keep themselves safe. And they are smart to do so.
As a patient, if you can comply with the requirements of a program, you have a right to be treated.
But you don't get to make the rules. The doctor doing the surgery does.

The spokesman has spoken folks!!! Please as creekimps has stated: if you can't comply with the requirements of a program, you do not, I repeat, you DO NOT have the right to be treated. You sound like a broken record. We get it. You love surgeons and doctors. You love them so much your willing to state that some people don't deserve treatment because they had a piece of chocolate. Shame on you. Please take your extremist attitude somewhere else. You have no place here. You must have everything figured out for yourself that you can look down on people who make mistakes and state that they have no right to be treated by a doctor/surgeon. Disgusting.

Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, I do love surgeons and doctors. There are several in my family and friend network. They are human beings, too. They have rights, just like you do:)

Bariatric surgery is an elective procedure. If you screw up and hurt yourself, your doctor pays the price.

The first thing doctors learn is to first do no harm.

Doing surgery on someone who cannot control their eating habits doesn't do any good, and in fact can do a great deal of harm.

Doctors have every right to expect patients to comply with treatment guidelines and to refuse those who don't.

Edited by Creekimp13

Yes, I do love surgeons and doctors. There are several in my family. They are human beings, too. They have rights, just like you do:)
Bariatric surgery is an elective procedure. If you screw up and hurt yourself, your doctor pays the price.
The first thing doctors learn is to first do no harm.
Doing surgery on someone who cannot control their eating habits doesn't do any good, and in fact can do a great deal of harm.
Doctors have every right to expect patients to comply with treatment guidelines and to refuse those who don't.

My sister is a respected doctor as well. That being said, there are sh!tty doctors out there, just as there are crappy patients. Don't glorify doctors and surgeons just because they are family. That makes you seem even more shallow. A good doctor will advise his patients and put down guidelines, but no doctor has the right to call you names and belittle you; unless that's how they do it in your family..??? Also, you said if a patient screws up the doctor pays the price? How's that exactly? If the doctor prescribed the correct program and the patient strays from the program, it's on the patient 100%, not the doctor. And if insurance covered the procedure it's actually the psychologists fault for not recognizing dangerous habits in the patient. I don't see doctors or surgeons getting any heat for that. You are obsessing over things that don't even exist. Unless the doctor deserved a malpractice suit...it would never come to pass. We all know doctors and surgeons have much more protection then we mere patients do. You are rooting for the wrong team. Then again blood is thicker than Water, so I suppose if a patient had complications from a bad surgery, you would still side with the almighty surgeon.

23 minutes ago, soready17 said:

You have no place here. You must have everything figured out for yourself that you can look down on people who make mistakes and state that they have no right to be treated by a doctor/surgeon. Disgusting.

This is uncalled for. Calling a person disgusting on here that has meted out helpful advice to many posters on here is crossing a line and maybe even goes against the terms of service.

The point of the post is valid, elective procedures require us to follow the surgeon’s requirements. We must follow the insurance company ‘s requirements.

Becoming rude and nasty adds nothing of value to the thread and I actually hope they close this thread.

On 1/26/2018 at 6:56 PM, PeachesCat said:

Were you in the room? Did you hear what he said? Just curious. Tell me. What did he say? You must know. After all. You have stated he was concerned regarding a safety issue. Tell me. Do you consider calling a patient a fat pig a safety issue?

i would find a new doctor

26 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

This is uncalled for. Calling a person disgusting on here that has meted out helpful advice to many posters on here is crossing a line and maybe even goes against the terms of service.

The point of the post is valid, elective procedures require us to follow the surgeon’s requirements. We must follow the insurance company ‘s requirements.

Becoming rude and nasty adds nothing of value to the thread and I actually hope they close this thread.

I have Metabolic Syndrome. My Cushing's Syndrome makes it almost impossible to loose weight, especially with the steroids I take daily. If I do not have Bariatric Surgery I will die. I guess you are correct. It is elective surgery. I can elect not to have it and die. I am sure there are many others like me who have illnesses that require this surgery or they will die.

Part of the Insurance Company's requirements is to have a psych exam isn't it? A whole lot of psychiatrists/ psycologists are going to get fired for approving patients for surgery who are deemed not ready.

Edited by Jelly Belly

Creekimp has posted many helpful comments on different threads, I agree. Not this one though. And I didn't call her disgusting. What's disgusting is the thought that some people don't deserve to be treated. You can report me or block me whatever. I'm just stating what I see. These are my feelings on the matter. You can't silence me. And anyone who thinks you don't deserve the right to be treated for obesity HAS no place here. This is an obesity help and support community. Hence the name BariatricPAL. We may not see eye to eye on many things on this site, but saying you don't deserve or have the right to be treated is going too far don't ya think?

Everyone deserves and has the right to have surgery IF they comply with their surgeon's rules.

Sometimes it takes a few tries....but if you really want it...you'll get there:)

Or maybe you'll find a different surgeon whose rules you prefer.

But ultimately...

The surgeon has the right to set his/her own criteria for doing the surgery.

Stating that reality is only a slight if you choose to experience it that way.