Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I went to my final Pre Op appointment (my surgery is 2/19). I gained weight. The doctor said I had to go on my liquid diet NOW and loose weight. He also wants to see me again (on 2/9) for a weigh in. My surgery depends on this... so a month liquid diet here I come. He was also nasty about it. Yeah I did wrong. Don't need to be hit over the head with it.

Doctors can be such jack asses. Sorry you had to hear that. I have my medical clearance appointment on the 29th and I am hoping they don't pull some crap like that on me.

My doctor said the same thing. I have my surgery date of April. I go In for pre op & weigh in March 28. He said if I dont lose the weight he will cancel/postpone my surgery. You can do it! You got this. We got this!

4 minutes ago, loveeroxx said:

My doctor said the same thing. I have my surgery date of April. I go In for pre op & weigh in March 28. He said if I dont lose the weight he will cancel/postpone my surgery. You can do it! You got this. We got this!

Thanks. A month liquid diet which I wasn't emotionally ready for and be degraded on top of it. Yes I gained weight. I have a problem. Doesn't he think I know that?

You didn't deserve to be treated like that even though you've gained weight. Maybe he was irritated by the weight gain - he's a professional and he surely has worked with other patients who found themselves in the same place. You'll pull through and be ready for surgery. Really. You can do this, I promise. :206_cat::206_cat:

Here's a reality. You have to prove that you have the self control to not hurt yourself and create a medical emergency. Surgeons fear non-compliant patients....because they have complications and it makes the surgeon look dangerous.

My surgeon was brutal. We had to lose 10% of our total weight...to get approved for surgery.

Took me six months, but I faithfully lost the 27 pounds he required to prove I could stick to a diet.

Surgery isn't a magic cure. If you don't get control of your eating habits and learn to eat the right things, you're dead in the Water. Surgery will not work for you.

Losing 30 pounds before my presurgical liquid diet....was child's play compared to the hell of the starvation diet both before and after surgery.

Don't for a second think that losing weight before surgery is "the hard part"....it's tough, but it's the tip of the ice berg compared to what's next...and if you're not up to it, you might want to reconsider.

Just being honest, folks. Wishing everyone success and good outcomes.

8 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Here's a reality. You have to prove that you have the self control to not hurt yourself and create a medical emergency. Surgeons fear non-compliant patients....because they have complications and it makes the surgeon look dangerous.

My surgeon was brutal. We had to lose 10% of our total weight...to get approved for surgery.

Took me six months, but I faithfully lost the 27 pounds he required to prove I could stick to a diet.

Surgery isn't a magic cure. If you don't get control of your eating habits and learn to eat the right things, you're dead in the Water. Surgery will not work for you.

Losing 30 pounds before my presurgical liquid diet....was child's play compared to the hell of the starvation diet both before and after surgery.

Don't for a second think that losing weight before surgery is "the hard part"....it's tough, but it's the tip of the ice berg compared to what's next...and if you're not up to it, you might want to reconsider.

Just being honest, folks. Wishing everyone success and good outcomes.

Actually, my personal reason for gaining weight is that I am a 9/11 First Responder who is on massive amounts of medications and recently had an increase in steroids which increased my weight which was verified with my Pulmonary Doctor.

That being said, Addicts are prone to relapses. Because somebody has a relapse does not mean they don't want to stay clean. The worse thing one can do, is insult and addict. If a person who falls off the wagon and somebody degrades them, chances are they won't try again. Statistics prove that 60 percent of people relapse. It has nothing to do with them not to want to stay away from their chosen addiction.

I am a food addict. However, an increase of medication caused me to hold Water weight which no amount of dieting would get off. I have two issues. Gaining 4 lbs when in the past 6 months I have been losing does not (in my case) mean I am not serious. One has to look at the reason for the weight gain. And yes. If a person over ate doesn't mean they aren't ready for the surgery. Addicts relape. A good doctor would find out why. ;)

Everything you've said about relapse and addiction is correct. But in order to have a safe surgery, you need to get the addiction under control before moving to the surgery. The surgery is NOT a cure for addiction. You need to work with a therapist to get control of your eating before surgery.

Relapsing just after surgery can be life threatening.

If a person is unable to stop themselves from overeating soon after surgery, they can die or cause terrible harm to themselves. (and to their surgeon's reputation...which is why your surgeon is being hard on you)

If people are overeating...they are not ready to keep themselves safe.

Listen to your doctor and get control of your eating habits first. You will thank him/her in the long run.

You just posted about having "more food funerals than you could count". I'm guessing that's a significant source of your recent gain.

I agree that addicts should be treated with respect and not shamed. Addiction is tough. That said, one should not enable an addict either.

The best thing to do for an addict...is to have compassion, but to also hold them accountable and not let them make excuses.

Edited by Creekimp13

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

Everything you've said about relapse and addiction is correct. But in order to have a safe surgery, you need to get the addiction under control before moving to the surgery. The surgery is NOT a cure for addiction. You need to work with a therapist to get control of your eating before surgery.

Relapsing just after surgery can be life threatening.

If a person is unable to stop themselves from overeating soon after surgery, they can die or cause terrible harm to themselves. (and to their surgeon's reputation...which is why your surgeon is being hard on you)

If people are overeating...they are not ready to keep themselves safe.

We can agree to disagree. Once an addict, always an addict. People relapse after sobriety of a century. True addicts know they must fight to stay free from their addiction every day and are always an addict. I can give you reading material from medical journals should you like, many written by myself being an expert on the subject having worked for the NYS Department of Health dealing with this very issues and writing policy for over 20 years ;)

3 minutes ago, PeachesCat said:

We can agree to disagree. Once an addict, always an addict. People relapse after sobriety of a century. True addicts know they must fight to stay free from their addiction every day and are always an addict. I can give you reading material from medical journals should you like, many written by myself being an expert on the subject having worked for the NYS Department of Health dealing with this very issues and writing policy for over 20 years ;)

Wow...a hundred year relapse? That's impressive.

Peaches, I really don't want to leave you with the impression that I mean to be critical of you or hurtful. That is truly not my intent. I do wish the very best for you.

I am absolutely rooting for you. (and everyone else here) because I absolutely know how hard it is.

But in fairness...there is a difference between your surgeon being nasty about something...and being extremely firm about a safety issue.

Please take your safety seriously. Good luck.

21 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Wow...a hundred year relapse? That's impressive.

May I ask what you do for a living and makes you an expert on the situation. Where did you get your medical degree? Or a you a psychologist/LCSW? Were you given a psych exam as part of your submission to the insurance company?

Edited by PeachesCat

3 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Peaches, I really don't want to leave you with the impression that I mean to be critical of you or hurtful. That is truly not my intent. I do wish the very best for you.

I am absolutely rooting for you. (and everyone else here) because I absolutely know how hard it is.

But in fairness...there is a difference between your surgeon being nasty about something...and being extremely firm about a safety issue.

Please take your safety seriously. Good luck.

Were you in the room? Did you hear what he said? Just curious. Tell me. What did he say? You must know. After all. You have stated he was concerned regarding a safety issue. Tell me. Do you consider calling a patient a fat pig a safety issue?

54 minutes ago, PeachesCat said:

Were you in the room? Did you hear what he said? Just curious. Tell me. What did he say? You must know. After all. You have stated he was concerned regarding a safety issue. Tell me. Do you consider calling a patient a fat pig a safety issue?

If your doctor called you a "fat pig" RUN- don't walk - to a new doctor. I would never want a doctor to cut me open who treats their patients like that. That's not firm; that's abusive.

I like the firm approach form my doctors. Not mean, but straight to the point without sugar coating anything. However, I would be mortified if my doctor called me a "fat pig."