Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home from the Hospital - Tips for You!

Wendybird thank you so much for this post, you honestly hit the spot and I'm gonna re-read it after my surgery day. I know I can do this and I will. Too many years of obesity on this body to stay this way, tired of looking like Bip the Michelin Man's twin sister.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Ha! LOVED the post! Thanks for the tips girl! Congrats on a successful adventure--now your new life awaits.

This was a very helpful post. My doctor told me that I had to get up and walk an hour to 2 hours after the surgery. I couldn't believe that. I figured I would still be groggy.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:37 AM, wendybird said:

Hi Everyone! I know I came to these forums to help prepare me for the surgery, so this post is about helping you be as prepared as possible and know the nitty gritty.

I was sleeved Wednesday 1/24 in Chicago. Your mileage may vary.

The night before, I was NPO after 9PM and was the first surgery of the day, so I had to be at the hospital at 5:15 am. Have a backup ride ready because you might not know this until the day before, and my husband had to stay home with our kids. Pro Tip: You can reserve a cab or Lyft ride in advance, so I had a lyft scheduled at 4:30 AM.

They do weigh you at the hospital when you arrive. Pre-Op was a breeze. I have a high BMI so I had a shot of a drug to prevent blood clots, if you don't like shots, ask for it in the thigh. I had mine in my right shoulder both days and it was fine, nothing more than a flu shot feeling.

Post op your mouth will be DRY. DRY DRY DRY DRY DRY. Bring lip balm to keep your lips moist and you will, will, WILL get through it. If it's really bad, make sure you are not getting dehydrated. Late on the night of my surgery, my heart rate and blood pressure went way up, so they gave me a "BOLUS" for dehydration, which is a lot of IV fluids really fast, it did the trick and by morning I was fine.

WALK! Get up as soon as you feel able to. I walked and walked, and peed and peed. They will measure your urine so don't flush it, there will be a measuring thing in the toilet, don't put paper in it because you want credit for every ML of urine you produce! And did I mention walk? It's so easy. I was shocked that I was the only person walking around the floor. It really helps with that gas pain.

The morning after surgery I did a "water trial" where a member of the doc's team brought in two thimbles of Water. I had two hours to finish them and it took really about an hour. Go slowly. After that, I was not brought a tray of anything, just a FULL styrofoam cup of probably 20 oz of Water and was told "this is what is between here and home." It took me about 3 hours to drink it, and then I was finally discharged around 3PM. Walking around in CVS on the way home is when the farting began. It hasn't stopped but I'll tell you I have zero gas pains!

Get the liquid Tylenol. You will want it when you are home, even if just one incision hurts (I have five "stab wounds" and only one is really bothersome at all - and the liquid tylenol is enough.) Now I am home and am slowly sipping Premier Protien Clear (yum) and water (yum) all day. TIP: Don't buy the orange Protein water sold at Target, order the Premier Protein clear online. They are vastly different.

TL:DR? You will fart a lot. That's good. You will burp a lot. That's fine. WALK A LOT. Stand up a lot. You'll do great.

Ask me anything!

Thanks so much for this post! I hope you are doing well! Is it just water you can have at first? Why was it difficult to drink at first?

Thanks so much for this post! I hope you are doing well! Is it just Water you can have at first? Why was it difficult to drink at first?

Hi Meg - on Day 1 yes it was clear water for me. Other programs are probably different, but mine is Clear Liquids the first two days and then clear liquids plus two Protein Shakes for a few days, then all liquids, etc etc.

What made it hard to drink fast was that you could really feel each sip going down to your stomach, and too big of a sip or too much too fast would cause me chest pains.

Cut to a day or so later and you can take sips closer together. It’s all part of the new normal!

Thanks for your tips and guidance. So much I’m nervous about and your post really helped!

Awesome play by play Wendybird:) Congrats!

This is a huge help!!! Thank you!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the helpful post. How have you been sleeping? I see a lot of people talking about acid reflux when they are laying down.

Thanks for the helpful post. How have you been sleeping? I see a lot of people talking about acid reflux when they are laying down.

Great question! In the hospital I was automatically given Pepcid in my AV whether I needed it or not. At home I’ve been fine - can only sleep on my back due to the incisions, so I use two pillows to elevate my head slightly. No reflux (knock wood.)

When I’m stay hospital for two days one years ago since my surgery last January 2017 and i have no problems with my post surgery and still work hardly to lose more weight..

after I’m stay hospital I’m so tired and i cant sleep enough so I’m still rest lots for months till i got fully recovery on my own foot..

I’m walking around the hospital and home both

I’m been drinking lots of Water after surgery its would be helpful for me

What timing!!! Tomorrow morning is my surgery and I'm packing.... I've got pajama bottoms, sweats to wear home, clean undies, chapstick, charger, tablet, phone, gas x chewables..... What am I missing?