Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unable to tolerate meat!?!?

On 1/31/2018 at 1:03 AM, Paityn said:

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with this. I am 9 weeks out. I have struggled with ground turkey, turkey sausage and a turkey burger. But can do turkey bacon and deli turkey slices. So weird. So i unfortunately switched to ground beef which I have never been a fan of. Someone mentioned to me to use only organic really top of the line cause it could be preservatives and other junk that's making us sick. Idk if that is accurate at all. I have found things i loved before surgery are no longer appealing to me which I thought was so strange. I read about that happening and was convinced it would not happen to me. Low and behold it has. I get really bored eating meat so this post was good for me to. I had gone vegan before surgery and besides meat that is the only animal product or byproduct I consume so knowing I have other options is great, I didn't think I had a lot of Protein options that weren't from an animal or made by an animal. I get sick a lot after eating, just about anything. Nausea usually and that feeling of going to be sick. Unfortunately my doctor says this happens to a lot of people and I have some pills to take and she says I have to push past it cause I'm not getting enough nutrients so I cant be picky right now. Hang in there you will find somethin that works for you.

Hi Paiytin,

I see this post was 4 years ago, but thought I'd reach out as I'm 7 weeks out from surgery and get sick/nauseous all the time from food. I have a horrible time trying to digest meet, it will sit in my stomach for 24 hours making me sick. My surgeon is saying the same as yours did, you have to push through it and take the anti nausea pills. I was curious how long this lasted for you and if things corrected course? Any info you can provide would be great. I find this community to be so helpful. Was there anything that got you through this phase? I'm starting to become afraid of eating because I don't want to feel nauseous all the time. Also, happy holidays!

Laura

Hi Laura, sorry for the late reply!! Congrats on your surgery, it’s such a huge step!! I remember that feeling post surgery. I was miserable and regretting it and overall having a really hard time. I promise you. It’s all worth it. It was the best decision I ever made. I’m 4 years out, I’m 6 feet tall and lost 150 pounds. I kept majority of it off this whole time fluctuating maybe 20 pounds here and there. I’m currently pregnant with my first baby and it’s hard watching my body get bigger again but the surgery really helped me to make life changes so I know I’ll be able to get it back to it. As for food, you will struggle, and it’s okay. Honestly 4 years out and me and steak are still not friends, my stomach has a hard time breaking it down. I couldn’t eat eggs for almost 6 months post surgery. It’s seriously trial and error what your body will tolerate. I was super lucky though I could basically eat anything (tiny amounts) 6 months later. It’s eating too fast or too much that would cause this gas build up, constant burps that lead to throwing up and that’s honestly still a thing for me. However only like every other month maybe. Ice cream and Cereal and I are major enemies since the surgery always always makes me sick (not a bad thing this way I won’t eat bad things) I didn’t really take meds of any sort. Just my Vitamins. But like I said I am one of the rare lucky ones, I haven’t needed vitamins in 2+ years my body is totally normal as is. I got insurance to cover a panniculectomy and my doctor was super nice and even took extra. I’ll try and check my email more if you have any questions! You’ve got this.