Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you out of work after surgery? I'm still pre-op but I'm wondering how much time I'll need off.

My doctor told me 2-6 weeks, but he said that most people who don’t have jobs that are too physically demanding return in 2-3 weeks. Personally I took 3 weeks and I still didn’t feel ready to go back then, but I felt bad taking any more time off. My pain lasted for just over 5 weeks. Some people say they felt great after a week and were ready to go back right away, so I guess everyone heals differently.

I'm pre-op, but last year I had a total hysterectomy (which is close, right?) and I was back to work in 2 weeks. And right after I got home, my BIL had a heart attack and I had my sister, and then him, to care for! It did take me a a couple on months to totally re-energize.... Working moms are pretty tough ;-)

I will be going back after 3 weeks and have a job that is sometimes physically demanding.

I had surgery on a Thursday and went back to work the following Monday on post op day 4. Mostly work at my desk but I also walked the warehouse. I was a little sore but no really much problem. I had an easy time compared to others.

I'm pre-op, but last year I had a total hysterectomy (which is close, right?) and I was back to work in 2 weeks. And right after I got home, my BIL had a heart attack and I had my sister, and then him, to care for! It did take me a a couple on months to totally re-energize.... Working moms are pretty tough ;-)

I’m sorry to hear out your BIL. Hope everyone is ok.

Personally I think 2 weeks minimum, but it's all guesswork depending on (a) your job and (b) how well you do with surgery. Time off is not only to rest/recover but to also learn how to use your new stomach. Dehydration is such a concern in the early stages and once you get behind you're in trouble. My doc's biggest concern is that we'd get right back to work, get caught up in a busy day and then you're rushing to eat and forget to get your fluids in. I mean we're all guilty of doing speed lunches where we shoved as much food into our mouths in as short as time as possible in order to get back to work. You simply can't do that after surgery.

I went back to work after 2 1/2 weeks but had a desk job. I wasn't that sore by then but was still fighting a lot of exhaustion. When I told work I would need time off I told them to plan for 2 weeks minimum but ther was the potential to 3-4 depending on how things went.

1 hour ago, Lillymunster said:

I’m sorry to hear out your BIL. Hope everyone is ok.

Aww, thank you, he is fine now. :-) He found out about it after the fact (it was small) and got stents put in.

I had planned to be out 10 days (most of which my office was closed for the Christmas break, thankfully, because I work at a university) but I had some complications and definitely wasn't ready to go back after 10 days. I ended up taking 2+ weeks, and on week 3 I worked mostly from home, to ease back into it. I would say give yourself at least 7-10 days but plan for the possibility that it could take longer to feel ready for work.

Edited by kaydo

I took off 2 1/2 weeks from work. I was still feeling tired and achy when I got back but the following week I felt much better. It is different for everyone.

I'm three days post-op and returning to work on Monday (day after tomorrow) because I can definitely do my job (seated desk work.) I'm kind of excited to walk to the train and to my office. I'll be going to my 1 week post-op visit on a long lunch break from work on Thursday!

I just went back yesterday after about 2-1/2 weeks off. I have a desk job so it went pretty good except I hit my stomach incision twice when scooting up to my desk. Have to be more careful next week.

“Losing in Ohio”
RNY Surgery: 1/9/2018
HW: 319
SW: 305 (Pre op mtg.)
CW: 287 (1/24)