Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you off work post-op?

I had surgery on 12/19 and back to work 12/26. I also have a desk job so I went in comfy because of the incisions. I had my son and husband drive me and pick me from work because I was to weak to drive .

hw: 246 sw: 235 cw: 213 gw: ?
Sleeved :Dec 19, 2017

I had my surgery 11/27 and was back to work 12/11. The first week back at work I was very tired by the end of the day. I left around 4pm each day.

I was off for six weeks but my job is physical and requires me to be able to be on my feet for 12-13 hour shifts, with no lifting restrictions.

I had my surgery 12/5. I was off work for 6 weeks, and I have a desk job. I'm glad I took the extra time off. It takes awhile to get use to the eating habits.:)

I was off a week. Tried to go back Monday for half a day. Too exhausted. Taking the rest of this week too.

I had surgery 9/6/17 and would have gone back to work on 9/8 but I had already turned my time card in for the week. I went back to work Monday 9/11 with no issues. I am a Computer Desktop Support person so I am on my feet most of the day visiting users desks. I have never had an issue with energy. They tried to give me monthly B12 shots for energy after surgery but I declined them.

I have always done a lot of walking, I actually walk on my breaks and lunch, I get in about 2 to 3 miles a day. I actually started walking again the 3rd day after surgery.

Edited by dathvick

Had my surgery on 11/29 and went back to work 1/2 but I had some use or lose leave to burn. I enjoyed the whole month of December off. I could have been back to work within a week if needed.

I was off 4 weeks. I might have been able to go back sooner, but appreciated the extra time so that when I did go back I wasn't feeling exhausted all the time.

VSG 10/11/17 HW = 360 SW = 292 CW = 236.6 GW = 220 (6'5")

It sounds like a good idea to basically take all the time that you need. My new job requires a fair amount of walking and I don't have much trouble with that but I think I'll take what time I need. No sense in rushing only to cause a problem.

I'll have been off three weeks when I go back but my job, is at times, physically demanding so I didn't want to rush back too soon.

I have a deskish job and I took 3 days off. Ended up working 3 days then took another 3 off. In hindsight, I should have taken 2 weeks off. I was weak and tired from the shakes only for 2 weeks post-op. Given I had ready done another 2 weeks preop on shakes and veges only. I would say at least 2 weeks off but if you can get more why not.

2 weeks. I have a desk job. Just finished my 1st week back and did great.

On 1/23/2018 at 9:18 PM, tuckersmom said:

Hoping to have surgery late March or early April. I sit at a desk all day for work so I’m hoping to only be off work for two weeks max! Reasonable???

Im in a similar position as you, the good thing for me though is that i also work from home. When i was at one of my classes i asked one of the nurses and they said that they dont want people going back to work under any circumstance in less than a week because of the fatigue factor and if i plan on going back after only a week i should let my work know that we will play it by ear at that time because you just dont know how your body is going to react.

As some here have shown, you may bounce right back and be ready to go after only a few days, but you may also have some heavy fatigue. Everyone has a different experience.