Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 11 months out and have lost a total amount of 185 lbs (80 since surgery). I haven't lost anything in the last 5 months or so, but I've been starting to gain a bit because I'm getting back into bad habits. I'm worried about it, even though I have been fluctuating between a range of 10 pounds since August. My issues are with indulging in sweets and because the weather has been crappy in Minnesota (well when isn't it in winter?) and it gets dark so early I haven't been running or walking as much as I was. I went for a run this morning and I want to get myself back into the habit. I need some words of motivation or encouragement though to get through feeling like a failure.

I'm moving into my own place on February 4th (I currently live with my parents), and I think this will help me a lot. My dad buys a lot of sweets and junk food and while I'm at the grocery store for myself, I'm almost always able to talk myself out of buying that stuff. When I do buy sweets, I will buy a single serving chocolate bar because I know if I buy more, I won't be able to control myself. Before surgery I would eat fast food all the time too, but now it just doesn't appeal to me, mainly because I can't eat the entire meal and left over fast food doesn't taste that great. So I believe I can get through this little setback, but I guess I just needed to vent a little.

You lost a whole person! OMG, you did SO SO SO well:)

And I'd bet anything that moving into your new place will give you the motivation to lose the last stubborn few pounds.

Will help incredibly to control everything that comes into the house:) Will also be a lot of fun decorating and starting a new life. Lots to do:) Busy people burn calories!

Wishing you a wonderful new experience and continued progress.

I totally know the feeling. I'm pre-op right now, but I live with a roomie who eats nothing but junk. I've ALWAYS done better when living on my own. I have secured an apartment for myself March 1st. I also live in Minnesota, and it is starting to wear on me a bit. I will likely leave this state one of these days, because the winters are so prohibitive and confining. It never used to bother me before, but as I've gotten old I really don't want to deal with it anymore.

PS- You're doing great :-) Nobody said the journey would be easy, and you've come along way from where you first started.

I see you went with Dr. Krook. I really like what I've read about him so far, but I'm a bit leery of having any surgeries at HCMC. I have a few consults lined up (Alinna, North Memorial, and Healtheast) to see who "clicks". Would be interested in hearing your HCMC story and how the whole process went.

16 hours ago, ajmsp8879 said:

PS- You're doing great :-) Nobody said the journey would be easy, and you've come along way from where you first started.

I see you went with Dr. Krook. I really like what I've read about him so far, but I'm a bit leery of having any surgeries at HCMC. I have a few consults lined up (Alinna, North Memorial, and Healtheast) to see who "clicks". Would be interested in hearing your HCMC story and how the whole process went.

I really liked Dr. Krook and the rest of the bariatric staff are wonderful too. I first started my WLS journey at Park Nicollet several years ago and it never worked out because I was never ready, and I was hesitant about going to HCMC too, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the whole staff. The main reason I went to HCMC instead of going back to Park Nicollet though was because I work for the county and the surgery was 100% paid for by my insurance.

That's excellent incentive! I think I might look into it. When I called HCMC they were actually most polite, friendly, and funny people I've spoken with on the phone. It felt warm and inviting, which I also wasn't expecting. How long was your entire process from seminar/consult to surgery if you don't mind my prying?

On 1/23/2018 at 3:56 AM, ajmsp8879 said:

That's excellent incentive! I think I might look into it. When I called HCMC they were actually most polite, friendly, and funny people I've spoken with on the phone. It felt warm and inviting, which I also wasn't expecting. How long was your entire process from seminar/consult to surgery if you don't mind my prying?

I started the process in July 2016, was approved January 2017 and had it February 20, 2017. I'm sure I could have had the surgery sooner, but I had some delay because I wasn't following through with the pre-op stuff consistently.