Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking too fast and coffee.

I had my sleeve done on 1/16/18 and was able to start drinking my Protein Shakes again yesterday. For the first 3 days I was struggling to get my Protein Water down. It would take half the day to drink a 20oz bottle of Isopure. Now that I’m back on my Premier Protein shakes, I drink the 11oz container in like 5 minutes. I sip water throughout the day and really have no urge to eat anything else during the day except for missing food because I know I like it. Should I be concerned that I can get that much liquid down so quickly after surgery??? I see most people struggle to get down an ounce or two.

Also, on days 4 and 5 I’ve tried having coffee in the morning with Splenda and I’ve had diarrhea about an hour later each time. Is that to be expected and will coffee ever be tolerated again?

Thanks.

I'll be three years out this upcoming April...

I didn't resume my coffee habit until 2 months out. Drinking coffee too soon post-op can result in discomfort and other side effects due to its high acidity. You're only a few days out.

http://www.laparoscopic.md/questions/coffee-safe-drink-after-bariatric-surgery

I drink at least four cups of coffee daily without any ill effects. Your mileage may vary. Good luck to you.

Decaff coffee seems to be fine for me. Have you tried that?x

Take your time drinking and get the hydration pattern set that you will use when you move through the stages.

If you drink to fast or too much when you are on the food stages you will just push everything along and you won't properly glean the nutrients.

Decaf especially low acid varieties seem to work better earlier on

BARIATRICPAL sells a non acid coffee. It is really good. But way to much money, I thinl it is $11.99 for 12OZ. It is yummy. I bought it for awhile but I went thru it so fast. LOL

I waited a month after surgery before going back to leaded coffee. I only do one cup a day right now, and no adverse issues.

I had my sleeve done on 1/16/18 and was able to start drinking my Protein Shakes again yesterday. For the first 3 days I was struggling to get my Protein Water down. It would take half the day to drink a 20oz bottle of Isopure. Now that I’m back on my Premier Protein shakes, I drink the 11oz container in like 5 minutes. I sip Water throughout the day and really have no urge to eat anything else during the day except for missing food because I know I like it. Should I be concerned that I can get that much liquid down so quickly after surgery??? I see most people struggle to get down an ounce or two.

Also, on days 4 and 5 I’ve tried having coffee in the morning with Splenda and I’ve had diarrhea about an hour later each time. Is that to be expected and will coffee ever be tolerated again?

Thanks.

I went back to coffee (regular caffeinated coffee) two weeks in, without issues. I have a cup a day (black), if that. My doc said it's fine. I was struggling energy-wise without it.

I also have very little trouble drinking liquids in larger quantities. If I gulp too much, it does hurt and I realize I over-did it. But I can take very normal gulps, I wouldn't characterize them as sips. And my doc said that's normal too, and actually better for you, because teensy tiny sips often create excess gas.

I would just take your time with the Protein Shakes so they stay with you longer. They are a Meal Replacement, so think of them that way.

I did well with liquids that early on. Just think, it’s liquid and will go through much faster/more than solid foods. It also doesn’t fill your sleeve so you don’t feel full. Some people are different and can’t tolerate that much liquid right after surgery.

I did Decaf coffee 1 week post surgery. It actually helped me get some of my Protein in as I would put some premier shake in as a Creamer. I’m 7 weeks post op and can do regular coffee but I limit it to 1 per day (per drs ok)