Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question for those that are 6 months out and more.

I am curious about something and I will talk to the staff about it at my next appointment, but I thought I would ask here too. I am 5’6 and weight 234, and I hope to be under 225 by my surgery. My goal weight is 150, so I have around 75 pounds to lose. I am curious as to how many calories people eat at six months out, or even a year. What if I get to 150 pounds but can’t eat enough calories to get to maintenance? I read several posts on a different site and people were saying that they were only able to eat 600-800 calories at 6 months out. That seems so low to me, and scares me a bit.

I am not 6mos out. I am 3mos out and can eat 1000 calories. In my experience that 600-800 would have me feeling exhausted at this point, I feel great, I am losing slower than I would like but we are all different and we all have to figure out the best plan that has balance, and it will be different for each one of us - the factors are many - age, how long we have been overweight, our medical issues, our mobility or how quickly we can increase our activity, compliance with food choices, etc. Take each stage as it comes and don't stress about the one ahead of you, learn about yourself on this road to improved health. Try out different routes until you have the plan in place that works for you - of course follow your medical staff's advice as much as you can while making it your own. Be accountable to yourself.

I am not 6mos out. I am 3mos out and can eat 1000 calories. In my experience that 600-800 would have me feeling exhausted at this point, I feel great, I am losing slower than I would like but we are all different and we all have to figure out the best plan that has balance, and it will be different for each one of us - the factors are many - age, how long we have been overweight, our medical issues, our mobility or how quickly we can increase our activity, compliance with food choices, etc. Take each stage as it comes and don't stress about the one ahead of you, learn about yourself on this road to improved health. Try out different routes until you have the plan in place that works for you - of course follow your medical staff's advice as much as you can while making it your own. Be accountable to yourself.

Great advice, thank you!

My nutritionist hasn't had me focus on calories at all but rather Protein grams. When I was tracking my food consistently though I was around 1000-1200 calories daily. I was losing about 2lbs a week for the first 6-7 months or so. My nutritionist wanted me to increase my workouts and also start eating some starches to be able to sustain my energy for exercising. This has definitely made my weight level out and I've been in a stall for about a month now. Hoping that I'll be able to lose at least another 15lbs and tone up some more.

One of the best things I can say though is to just take it a day at a time. You'll be able to make adjustments in the types of foods you take in to still be healthy but stay in maintenance rather than losing. I would recommend that you cross that bridge when you come to it though! Best of luck! :)

Re—not being able to eat enough to maintain.

Your capacity is limited in volume not calories. There are plenty of low volume high calorie foods like avocados, Peanut Butter, higher fat dairy... it’s almost never a problem being able to STOP losing.

For most of us our bodies find their new normal naturally.

On 21/01/2018 at 2:41 AM, TexasMommy80 said:

I am curious about something and I will talk to the staff about it at my next appointment, but I thought I would ask here too. I am 5’6 and weight 234, and I hope to be under 225 by my surgery. My goal weight is 150, so I have around 75 pounds to lose. I am curious as to how many calories people eat at six months out, or even a year. What if I get to 150 pounds but can’t eat enough calories to get to maintenance? I read several posts on a different site and people were saying that they were only able to eat 600-800 calories at 6 months out. That seems so low to me, and scares me a bit.

I wish I could answer, but I have never really tracked. I was 244 day of surgery, 168lbs now , I am 7 months out and to be honest I dont think I would have any problems maintaining as I maintained at Christmas by grazing lol. Sorry that doesn't help haha.

I’m seven months out and I eat around 900-1100 calories a day on average. It just kind of depends on the day.

I really don't know my calories any more as I don't track as religiously. I would say around 1200-1400 as due to my workouts, my nutritionist wanted me to add some fruit nut or additional yogurt.

Coming off a plastic surgery with no gym and then holidays, I would say I was not on diet the entire time. But, I did not gain. You want to keep tracking as best as possible, I do stick to the same balance at most meals, they are just larger than when first started. Your activity may affect how much you can or should take in.

At 6 months post-op, I was around 1200-1300 calories per day. At one year post-op, I was around 1600-1750 per day. Currently (16 months post-op), I am between 1900-2000 calories per day, and this is where I will stay.

I would add at 6 months out I was a much more detailed tracker and was 850-1000 working out 6 days per week

Both nutritionists that I have worked with have said - screw the calorie counts - focus on Proteins, fats, carbs. Try to make each food fall into 2 of these 3 categories when looking at the per serving numbers:

15g of proteins or more
20g or less total carbs - 10g or less of those being added sugar
10g or less of total fat

On 1/20/2018 at 9:41 PM, TexasMommy80 said:

I read several posts on a different site and people were saying that they were only able to eat 600-800 calories at 6 months out. That seems so low to me, and scares me a bit.

I know these people exist, but for me I can't see having any issues hitting those kind of numbers at 6 months out. My doc wanted us on 3 meals a day and that was it - no Snacks. There was no way I could do that. I had to aim for 3-4 meals plus a Protein Shake to hit my 60g for a day. I probably average 1600 calories a day being a year out. Truth be told I could easily be over 2000 if I wanted to. It's all about what you eat and how often. Yes, my portions have to be smaller, but if I wanted to graze all day long I could and easily rack up the calories. Even with healthy options like cottage cheese or Greek yogurt those are easy to get down.

Really it isn't anything you should be overly concerned about IMO.

I’m at 6 months. Also similar stats with you. 5’6 highest weight was 242, I was 226 on day of surgery (8.8.17) I don’t count calories and only estimate ounces and Protein. Currently 16lbs away from goal. I was a band to sips/loop DS revision so loss has been slower but expected. I plan on starting back at the gym... hopefully soon. I’m pretty sure I get over 1000 calories a day though. I don’t have any issues with foods I cannot eat or tolerate.

I am nearing about 10 months post op and I get in 600-800 calories a day. I have 6 lbs to go before I go into maintenance. So, the way I see it is, I can lose another 10 lbs, if my body doesn't stop on its own or I can call my surgical team and ask them what things to eat when I lose the rest of my weight because I'm in no real danger right now of being underweight. I have a whole 36 or more lbs before that happens.

The other thing is, I can just wait til my one year post op visit with my surgeon and ask then, although I'd most likely be seeing a nurse or a nutritionist and not my surgeon.... Unless I ask to see her and she miraculously has time to do so.

The amount of calories being put in varies from person to person though. Some people can eat over 600 at 6 months post op. Others can't. When I was 6 months out, I could only get in 500.

It also depends on what you eat. If you eat carby things, you'll get in more calories but most of that stuff is what you call slider foods. If you eat healthy things and lean Proteins, it's more filling and you eat less.

Babbling over~ lol

Hw-273

Sw-226

CW-136

GW-130

Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.

Bra Size- 36C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017

RNY

"Only those who try will become" FFX