Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Matthew Weiner

Hi everyone! I am 5 days post op from my sleeve and have been thinking about Dr. Weiner's long term nutrition goals that he gives his patients. I know I am a long way out but I would love some opinions from those of you who are WLS veterans.

I know that my practice, as well as many/most others really stress the importance of high high Protein diets and protein first. If you have watched Dr Weiner's videos or read his book, you know that he is more of a believer in lots of veggies, fruits, seeds, nuts and legumes and lean proteins-poultry and fish-he's not a beef fan. His recommended protein levels aren't as high as what my practice instructs, or what I have seen on this forum. His way of eating feels more natural to me, maybe even healthier. I totally understand the role of protein in our systems, and I also understand the importance of veggies and the other things he encourages.

Now, I know that it's important to follow the diets given by our nutritionist, but I can't help but feel that eating protein first leaves very little room for veggies and other whole foods. Therefore robbing our bodies of vital nutrients that Vitamins can't provide.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

4 minutes ago, kakatlady612 said:

Your post makes sense to me, suspect I'll be one to follow his suggestions too, I'll have to put his up against my own surgeon but Dr W makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm definitely going to ask what my NUT thinks when I go in for my post op appt next week.

My favorite diets are Mediterranean and mayo Clinic Diet...which sound a lot like you describe. I'm not a fan of all this animal Protein. I've started making vegetable Soup with pea powder and brown rice powder in it (a complete amino acid)...to get more veggie protein in.

I also eat a lot of nut butter, chia seed pudding, lentils, chickpeas, Beans, etc. I like fungus protein, and do some soy.

I also do chicken breast, fish, very lean red meat (super trimmed of all fat), eggs, yogurt, etc. But I try to balance it with at least equal plant protein.

There is a whole section of this website that caters to vegetarian and vegan recipes for weight loss surgery.

In the early weeks post surgery....you're going to have a problem with skins, and seeds...you won't digest them well and they can get caught in your suture line and cause problems. (even in smoothies the tiny seeds can be an issue) Forget about raw veggies and fruits...It all needs to be super soft at first.

In the early weeks post surgery...you won't like bread. Or it won't like you. Bread is difficult at first, particularly whole grains. (But you will have a love affair with oatmeal:) )

By two months post-surgery you'll be able to eat almost anything. You can start reintroducing the foods you love.

A word about protein.....you have special needs while you're in the weight loss phase as a bariatric patient. You will have a high demand for protein and if you are not consuming it, your body will consume YOUR muscles instead...and one muscle in particular is pretty important...your heart! Eating more protein protects us from muscle wasting. When your weight loss levels off...you can taper it down, but in the rapid weight loss months it's very important.

I, too, am a big fan of phytonutrients...so I hear ya.

Edited by Creekimp13

My favorite diets are Mediterranean and mayo Clinic Diet...which sound a lot like you describe. I'm not a fan of all this animal Protein. I've started making vegetable Soup with pea powder and brown rice powder in it (a complete amino acid)...to get more veggie Protein in.
I also eat a lot of nut butter, chia seed pudding, lentils, chickpeas, Beans, etc. I like fungus protein, and do some soy.
I also do chicken breast, fish, very lean red meat (super trimmed of all fat), eggs, yogurt, etc. But I try to balance it with at least equal plant protein.
There is a whole section of this website that caters to vegetarian and vegan recipes for weight loss surgery.
In the early weeks post surgery....you're going to have a problem with skins, and seeds...you won't digest them well and they can get caught in your suture line and cause problems. (even in smoothies the tiny seeds can be an issue) Forget about raw veggies and fruits...It all needs to be super soft at first.
In the early weeks post surgery...you won't like bread. Or it won't like you. bread is difficult at first, particularly whole grains. (But you will have a love affair with oatmeal:) )
By two months post-surgery you'll be able to eat almost anything. You can start reintroducing the foods you love.
A word about protein.....you have special needs while you're in the weight loss phase as a bariatric patient. You will have a high demand for protein and if you are not consuming it, your body will consume YOUR muscles instead...and one muscle in particular is pretty important...your heart! Eating more protein protects us from muscle wasting. When your weight loss levels off...you can taper it down, but in the rapid weight loss months it's very important.
I, too, am a big fan of phytonutrients...so I hear ya.

[emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376] this is perfection! Thank you so much for every word you said!

You are not alone!!!! There's a few of us who are doing a mostly plant-based bariatric adventure. I plan to supplement Protein via shakes/bars for the first few months since as @Creekimp13 pointed out we do need more to get by as we heal and lose significant amounts of weight. But I definitely plan to eat as nutrient-dense as possible - focusing on all areas, not just protein alone. I'm still planning out what I want to try - and I know it will be trial and error with my new stomach anyway - but some of the things I'm thinking about are mashed bananas/banana ice cream, veggie juices/smoothies, blended oatmeal with bananas, flaxseed, and Protein Powder, blended veggie Soups, and whole fruit sorbets as ways to get nutrients and Fiber (and FLAVOR) in during the soft food phases. It doesn't all have to be ricotta bake and yogurt!

I LOVE Dr. Weiner's videos. He is the first person who made me believe I could be successful at permanently changing my diet. All of the low-carb, high protein, "fruit is so unhealthy, too much sugar!" stuff that is often preached in bariatric circles was so depressing to me. Really, Beans and fruit are unhealthy? Eat a chicken breast and then if you have space, a bite or two of broccoli? I just didn't think I could live that way and that was all I saw when I read about post-op diets. Now I know, thanks to Dr. Weiner as well as Dr. Garth Davis, that bariatric patients can thrive eating veggies and fruits and legumes. I also firmly believe that just because a diet helps you lose weight doesn't mean it's nutritionally adequate or protects you from disease. Fruit intake (2+ servings a day) is strongly associated with reduced risk of cancer so it bums me out reading posts from people who say they just don't bother with fruit because of carbs.

Hope this post is not too inflammatory! Don't hate me, y'all! I just got excited for you, OP, cause I love where your mind is!!! I totally agree with you and hope you can find a happy place where you and your surgeon will both be happy with your choices! Good luck :)

On 1/23/2018 at 12:45 AM, Little Green said:

You are not alone!!!! There's a few of us who are doing a mostly plant-based bariatric adventure. I plan to supplement Protein via shakes/bars for the first few months since as @Creekimp13 pointed out we do need more to get by as we heal and lose significant amounts of weight. But I definitely plan to eat as nutrient-dense as possible - focusing on all areas, not just Protein alone. I'm still planning out what I want to try - and I know it will be trial and error with my new stomach anyway - but some of the things I'm thinking about are mashed bananas/banana ice cream, veggie juices/smoothies, blended oatmeal with bananas, flaxseed, and Protein Powder, blended veggie Soups, and whole fruit sorbets as ways to get nutrients and Fiber (and FLAVOR) in during the soft food phases. It doesn't all have to be ricotta bake and yogurt!

I LOVE Dr. Weiner's videos. He is the first person who made me believe I could be successful at permanently changing my diet. All of the low-carb, high protein, "fruit is so unhealthy, too much sugar!" stuff that is often preached in bariatric circles was so depressing to me. Really, Beans and fruit are unhealthy? Eat a chicken breast and then if you have space, a bite or two of broccoli? I just didn't think I could live that way and that was all I saw when I read about post-op diets. Now I know, thanks to Dr. Weiner as well as Dr. Garth Davis, that bariatric patients can thrive eating veggies and fruits and legumes. I also firmly believe that just because a diet helps you lose weight doesn't mean it's nutritionally adequate or protects you from disease. Fruit intake (2+ servings a day) is strongly associated with reduced risk of cancer so it bums me out reading posts from people who say they just don't bother with fruit because of carbs.

Hope this post is not too inflammatory! Don't hate me, y'all! I just got excited for you, OP, cause I love where your mind is!!! I totally agree with you and hope you can find a happy place where you and your surgeon will both be happy with your choices! Good luck :)

I love all of this thank you so much!!!!

On 1/23/2018 at 1:45 AM, Little Green said:

I just got excited for you, OP, cause I love where your mind is!!!

@LELH she stole the warm and fuzzy feeling right out of me for you! LOL

I eat plant based as well. I also love to learn from Dr Michael Greger. (I will always be grateful for @fruitandveggiesfor sending him to me!!! lol :) ) He's got a non-profit organization, the website is https://nutritionfacts.org/ ,a whole load of information he puts out there for free and why we should eat lots of veggies, fruits, legumes, grains, etc. But not only that, it's the science and explanations for everything, and IT JUST MAKES SENSE!!! Also, Dr Garth Davis, bariatric surgeon, and author of Proteinaholic, had to renounce his previous book that had everything to do with eating high Protein, due to his failing health and his Quest for a better one.

Early on post op, I did focus a bit more on the protein as suggested. I did substitute a lot of it with plant protein though, and tried to finish the Premier Protein that was covered by my insurance at that time, but about 3 months post op, I made the switch to not worry about it anymore, that is, I don't count any nutrients. I'm almost 9 mo post now and all is well. Blood work is excellent too; I take my multi (currently it's the Flintstones chewable and my B12). It's totally doable...but the best part is, you will know your insides are healthy!

Edited by Newme17

@Newme17 **hugs** So happy to share the knowledge! And you're doing amazing, by the way!!

@LELH I had the same fears! I wanted to cram myself with nutrients. But luckily, plant-based sources of Protein are filled with nutrients as it is. You can also sneak lots of stuff in without adding much bulk. Example: you could make your tofu scramble and puree some spinach and carrots to mix in. I add turmeric, black pepper, and nooch to nearly everything.

I just got Dr. Greger's cook book (How Not to Die cookbook) and it's incredible! In it he reminds us that every time we eat is an opportunity to get optimal, life-extending nutrition. I try to make all my meals as nutrient dense as possible because the opportunity cost thing reminds me that eating crap is a big price to pay.

And don't worry, you will be able to eat more and more as time goes by.

Edited by fruitandveggies

i agree with and follow Dr Weiner’s approach 100%.

that shady-ass “Dr” Duc Vuong is a fraud and a quack. run, don’t walk, away from his videos.

2 hours ago, JohnnyCakes said:

Duc Vuong is a fraud

I have yet to look him up and see what he’s about, but I wonder, what’s your take on why he is?

Update: well I couldn’t find much other than the book being for sale and I couldn’t find what he really promotes lifestyle wise either. But I did find some kind of Dr V challenge which is just terrible. I’m guessing the challenge is for normal stomachs...and even if so, it’s still terrible. Way too low of calories, that’s a recipe for weight gain. Anyone has any input on this this guy, I’m intrigued, but not so much as I am with Garth and Weiner and Greger.

22FC7B4C-885B-4256-A702-7C4C17AFD861.png

Edited by Newme17