Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 day post op second guessing my decision

Had gastric bypass Wednesday morning. I came home today (Friday) from hospital. I'm second guessing my choice now and have been in tears. I am still having so much pain and Tylenol isn't touching it. I'm miserable from pain and no sleep. I can't eat bc broth is about the only thing allowed and it just makes me nauseas to put down. I'm scared to eat in the upcoming weeks bc I don't want to throw up. I know it sounds stupid but this whole thing quickly turned into a nightmare for me. Anyone else had similar thoughts?

Everyone says the first 2 weeks are the toughest hun. This will get better xxx

22 minutes ago, Keeks17 said:

Had gastric bypass Wednesday morning. I came home today (Friday) from hospital. I'm second guessing my choice now and have been in tears. I am still having so much pain and Tylenol isn't touching it. I'm miserable from pain and no sleep. I can't eat bc broth is about the only thing allowed and it just makes me nauseas to put down. I'm scared to eat in the upcoming weeks bc I don't want to throw up. I know it sounds stupid but this whole thing quickly turned into a nightmare for me. Anyone else had similar thoughts?

Bless you. I’m 2 days ahead of you and I understand how you’re feeling completely. This forum has been a godsend for me because says that the first couple of weeks is the hardest and it really does get better. I think we’re gonna do fine and we’ve just got to focus on the outcome rather than the rubbishy bits now 😊😊

I promise that it will get better. If you apply yourself, your entire life can change. I am happier than I have ever been in my entire 42 years!

I'm a month out and I have serious regrets. People are telling me it'll get better but I'm still wondering when?? It's so hard for me to get my fluids in and since it's hard I don't want to drink/eat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

It is common to have regrets immediately after surgery. It gets better but not overnight. It took me 6 months to reach my happy state when all the problems seemed to melt away.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes.

This article describes my experience after surgery. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Thank you everyone it's very scary and I don't think anything could have prepared me for this. I'm following drs orders so hopefully in another couple weeks I'll feel better about this!

9 hours ago, Keeks17 said:

I had mine Thursday & have been doing my best with Water. I had some broth yesterday & it went down well. I also have pain but can somewhat control it with medicine. If you need something a little stronger contact your doctor & get some liquid meds. Hope you feel better soon.

It is common to have regrets immediately after surgery. It gets better but not overnight. It took me 6 months to reach my happy state when all the problems seemed to melt away.
The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.
Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes.< br> This article describes my experience after surgery. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Thank you so much for the article you attached to your post. I am 58 pre-op, entered the program at 288 and currently at 270. Hoping to get a surgery date soon. I found your article to be very informative and encourage anyone to take the time to read it. Thank you!

Hang in there. Look forward to 1 year from now. It will all be worth it. Just glom onto that truth!!! Hugs.

12 hours ago, Keeks17 said:

I know exactly how you feel. My first two weeks were hell on earth. 3rd week was a little better.

i am now five weeks out. I’’m feeling much better, but i’m Still on the fence as to whether this was worth it.

Remember your fat is releasing hormones and other crap as you lose your weight. Your body was happy the way you were prior to surgery and now its*******, You expect ME to work better? And you're probably stiff and achy, I remember back in the bad old days when I came home from open gallbladder surgery with a healing abdominal wound, instead of a right subcostal which was just under the ribs I had a right paramedian,, running from 2 inchs above to 4 inches below my navel. Hubby was working 12 hour shifts 40 miles away, I had a 10 year daughter, a preschooler and a toddler for help. Think I didn't regret having surgery right then? And every time I'd try to take a nap somebody wanted fed. Drug myself to the kitchen with my pillow pal and did the best i could. But 2nd guessing, oh yeah. It will be worth it, you're seeing all the knots and loose threads in your tapestry of life, once you feel better and flip,the fabric you'll see it for the good thing it is.!!. I'm gonna have a RyN in about 6 weeks, expect to face the same or similar problems. So in March remind me of what I said today cause I'm sure I'll need a reminder. In the meantime be good to yourself and heal.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

My bypass was 12/02/17. It does get better!

Just do your best to get some Fluid and your Protein Shakes in. Force yourself to walk. I took chewable gas x twice a day. Nap and doze if you need to.

Hopefully in a few weeks, you’ll be like me, eating chicken Caesar salads for lunch and wondering what you’ll look like by the end of the year!

1 hour ago, KimTriesRNY said:

My bypass was 12/02/17. It does get better!

Just do your best to get some Fluid and your Protein Shakes in. Force yourself to walk. I took chewable gas x twice a day. Nap and doze if you need to.

Hopefully in a few weeks, you’ll be like me, eating chicken Caesar salads for lunch and wondering what you’ll look like by the end of the year!

Omg that sounds sooo good right now! I really hope I will be able to eat that in a month! About how much are you able to eat at a time? I had my first popsicle tonight and not sure if it was that or my Tylenol wore off but I'm so nauseas and hurting.

4 hours ago, Keeks17 said:

Omg that sounds sooo good right now! I really hope I will be able to eat that in a month! About how much are you able to eat at a time? I had my first popsicle tonight and not sure if it was that or my Tylenol wore off but I'm so nauseas and hurting.

Week 6 I was able to start back on salads. I’m basically now on a regular low carb diet excepting steak, pork, and such. As far as how much I can eat it seems to depend on what it is. I tolerate salads, Soups, and soft foods like cottage cheese really well. Denser Proteins like chicken or tuna salad, or say ground chicken meatballs or turkey burgers I cannot eat as much.

I eat until I feel full, then I stop. I try really hard to eat slowly which has been a problem for me my entire life. If I eat too fast I get an uncomfortable chest pain behind my sternum so I’m learning.

Follow your diet advances per your program and hopefully everything will go smoothly for you as well.