Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering a lap band - scared after reading this forum!

I was looking at getting the lap band done but my surgeon warned against it, they stated that they remove more than they put in. They also stated that if they were researched more than they may not have been accepted under todays standards. I came home did my own research and made my choice for the VSG, I can not change your mind but I personally hate surgery. I only wanted to do this one time vs having the risk of going back and having a revision or removal done. Several of the staff in the Dr office had the band, and they actually warned against it as well, they were working to get the band removed and then have a VSG. I am not a chicken when it comes to pain but I personally would rather have one surgery vs several!

Anyone who claims to be living a band nightmare for nine years either picked the surgeon based on price or never did the requisite follow up visits. I see my doctor every four months and I can assure you no reputable bariatric surgeon would allow a patient to suffer for nine years. 90% of the band haters had a procedure under insurance that wouldn't cover follow up visits, adjustments or in rare instances medically necessary removals....or lived with a maladjusted band until their health was affected. If you have the band chose the best doctor and heed their advice. Bands are not place and forget procedures. I know people who are having problems with sleeve and bypass surgery. It happens. My band works, and all I know is it controls my appetite with zero side effects.

Well I did love mine the first six years then well it was a flipped port then things just got worse I was a size four and six and did well. Then at the ten year mark it got bad I could now longer keep food down it herniated my esophagus and eroded into my stomach. I have to sleep sitting up or I coughed up content of stomach. I went to ER they did tests and I had to have emergency surgery two days later. Because I was so small they didn’t want to revise and yes being without my band I was starving for first time in ten years I went from size for to six and eights so dr refused to do vsg until my stomach could heal I had to weight six months. I knew I needed a tool in my life. So I fought to lose the ten pounds I gained took the classes through insurance and had vsg 2/13 slightly over six months from my band removal. The band is great until it’s not. My doctor told me ten years seems to be the magic number for most he doesn’t see bands stay longer then that really and explained that Kiaser not longer will do them because of the issues.

Lapband 9/11/07 227 pounds
Vsg 2/13/18
Pre op diet 188
Sd. 180
Cw 169 167 per Dr. scale
First goal 169 2/26/18
Second 150
Goal weight 138

FB_IMG_1456357637486.jpgfirst is before vsg second before lapband removal I did follow the rules and did everything I should and yet I ended up with scary complications 20160602_080630.jpg

Lapband 9/11/07 227 pounds
Vsg 2/13/18
Pre op diet 188
Sd. 180
Cw 169 167 per Dr. scale
First goal 169 2/26/18
Second 150
Goal weight 138

[mention=121934]Julie norton[/mention]
hey bud
my mind always goes to you when good or bad is said about the lapband
11 successful years with (lapband) WLS is terrific. it works great for you.
(energizer bunny[emoji6])
hopefully the two of you will live happily ever after!!!
your sleever friend
kathy

Thank you Kathy
Life just goes on and we all try our best
It is so nice to see a cheerful note.
Yes I poke my head up to say lap band works for some .....
so many long term WLS people move on. Not us. Still hangin around...

I had my band for 6 years lost 30kg approx 60lbs. Started to put on weight slowly again, my fill was too tight and got terrible reflux and was eating “slider foods”. Eventually slipped and got it taken out.

What did I learn?

I didn’t not follow the rules at all!!

1. Did not follow up with surgeon
2. Did not get to sweet spot
3. Did not eat healthy food
4. Got too much fill - band was too tight vomiting and reflux became daily

After having the band out for a year I’m scheduled to have it back in 4 weeks. I will do everything differently!! Number one is keeping on track with my appointments.

Good luck, hopefully you find something that works for you [emoji4]

On 1/19/2018 at 2:17 PM, Elrix said:

I’m not ready for something as drastic and irreversible as a bypass or sleeve. That’s why I looked into the band. Complications are so numerous and I haven’t heard of a success story past 15 years. Definitely not a “life long” helper since I’m only 21 now. I’ve tried every diet and exercise about 5 times a week , my bmi is 32 which means I’m just in the obese range and 2 surgeons have recommended the band to me. I’m very confused and hopeless as to what to do. Any advice?

most DR.s wont do RNY because of your age and being female. ( Iron defiencys) I wasnot menapausing when I had the band put in 10 years ago they were doing them at a very high rate back then. (sleeve was not being done). did great but now the issues I m having are rough. I cannot have sleeve because of erosion of band into stomach muscle. so I am have the gold standard of RNY . hope this helps.

I know I'm new here... but I've been banded for over 8 years and just found you guys!

Personally, I love my band. I've had some hiccups along the way. Stress at one point affected my band; my band got tight and I had to have Fluid removed for a short period. Then, I've gained weight due to temporary lost mobility. (I've gained back 60# of the 164# I had lost and am working to get those nasty hitchhikers off again.)

We all test the band. (We bander's quickly learn about sliming and bypass patients quickly learn about dumping syndrome.) The band has worked for me. Other's it hasn't. Same goes with the sleeve, RNY, and other various forms of WLS. Some work for some, some don't for others.

Each have risks and each have benefits. Just as I felt for myself, weigh the pro's and con's of each for you. Arm yourself with knowledge, facts, and make the choice you feel is best for you. Shop around for the surgeon that is best for you too. Some surgeons offer little information or support; others are magnificent! Some surgeons are nothing more than salesmen and want to push you into one surgery over another.

Just remember, not one single WLS is a magical quick fix and you can regain weight no matter which one you select. Surgery isn't the sole solution. Used properly, each is nothing more than a tool to assist you in losing weight and keeping it off. In the end, be 100% confident in your decision and stick to what the doc says... you'll do awesome!

Not everybody is good for the band. I love my band and would not change anything. It is my "little" reminder to eat less, smaller bites and eat slower. I also know several people who have had nightmare experiences with the sleeve, RNY and all the other outrageous surgeries offered for something that is mostly suppose to change your eating habits. I also know of the various infections and yes deaths from other surgeries. You need to search and decide what is best for you but any surgery done to change your body can cause serious illness or even death.

1 hour ago, sparkplug said:

any surgery done to change your body can cause serious illness or even death.

So can the lap-band. Risk of severe complications are not restricted to the VSG, DS or RnY. Each procedure has it's risks and potential complications.

Despite the fact that there are MANY banders who would swear by the product, the fact is that a number of practices no longer offer lap-band due to the escalating failure rate. In fact some insurances are no longer approving it. That doesn't mean that those who chose the band were wrong, or that their success is doomed to future failure. Nor does it mean that the product does not work. It means that the product's potential risks are beginning to overshadow the less-invasive/cost effective benefit, therefore many practices and insurance companies warn against it.

currently in other countries there are class action suits. I really loved my band.. worked great until i lost my sweet spot. only to come to realize silent damage was going on . then one day went from mild to HOLY COW WTF. got it removed as so as i was healed and able to have revision surgery. in 6 months while waiting i packed on 50lbs. i still ate correctly i just ate all the time non stop. look into the band heavily before you make the leap. they are all tools if you use them correctly you will succeed. my boyfriend is doing awesome with the sleeve. i am new to RNY. from the band .

On 19/01/2018 at 6:54 PM, Elrix said:

What are the chances that I’ll need a revision? My bmi is 32 at the moment. I am honestly a food addict, and my appetite gets the best of me. I’m just tired of feeling like I have no control over my eating habits. I truly feel like the lap band could help me stabilize and take control for the rest of my life. I’m only 21 years old so that would mean my lap band would have to last 40+ years! Is this even possible??

The lap Band I had was in for 14 years.It did NOT control my appetite. I was 280 when I had it and my best ever weight was 210. I had it when bariatric surgery was new and now there are more effective options like the Sleeve or a Gastric Bypass. As you are scared why not try the Gastric balloon? This will control your appetite and restrict eating without surgery. If you have surgery this will not be an option in the future. I had my lap and removed in 2015 and it was embedded,difficult to remove and had caused adhesions, I am struggling to keep my weight down. I need an appetite suppressant but there are none available in the UK. I consider myself too old for a revision.

Personally I would not chose the Lapband again,it is just not very effective. Good luck anyway.

See how many are having revisions from lap band to sleeve and you'll know that you'll be headed that way too. I opted for a mini bypass....due to only one connection and not 2 as in rny! Band now being abandoned by top surgeons worldwide.

BornFat

Well, if you have a lap band, you can always have revision surgery in the future, IF needed.

80% of the failed lap bands are due to folks not following correct eating habits, or not doing follow up visits. I personally know two folks who had revisions because they were not losing weight, and they are still failing after having a sleeve. I work hard to ensure my band works like the tool it was intended to be.

At my age, the doctor felt the band was the best solution for me. And, they have be go back for follow ups at least once every six months to make sure there are no problems. If you don't have insurance, that can be costly. Few doctors want to deal with past patients, and that is another reason they avoid the band. I'd opt for a sleeve today, but I am happy with the band.

The Band has to be removed after about 10 years.. I had mine done at 14 yrs and my surgeon had extreme difficulty removing the embedded band and adhesions. Cosmetically the scars left are ugly.

With the Sleeve and Band you get chronic acidosis and long term there is a risk of Osophogeal cancer.. The Bypass causes a clinical pernicious anaemia bypassing the jejunum and you are on B12 shots for the rest of your life. All this should be borne in mind when making decisions. Further I was told that after two years surgery of any sort starts to fail. For the super obese bariatric surgery may be the only option but this whole raft of treatment is desperate measures. Think carefully this is serious stuff.

Run! Just got rid of mine. Had the nasty puke band for 13 years. If you are a food addict as most of us are, you will soon figure out that refined carbs go down really well and good Protein ( meat, chicken) comes up and out really well. RNY with lap band removal June 11