Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering a lap band - scared after reading this forum!

Hi,
This is my personal experience and I still have a band. Literally HATE IT! Looking into revision now.

Nope nope nope! Don't do it. The average weight loss is 60#. I lost the 60# and it stopped totally; I've now gained around 20 back and I'm MISERABLE!
No, it's not permanent but it is a SURGERY process...which means recovery, losing hair galore and eating A LOT of Protein which causes you to be constipated.

The majority of the time when you loose weight is the first year. When you go in for monthly or bi-monthly fills are are unable to eat for 3 days. First day is liquids, second day is mashed foods and third is back to soft foods.

When you eat, you must chew chew CHEW 30 bites each; if you swallow too fast your screwed and stuck before you know it.

YOU MUST drink at least a gallon of Water a day.

You must NOT drink carbonated beverages. Yes...you can have a few sips after you are totally healed.

You MUST not drink out of a straw. This causes gas in the stomach and esophagus area.

Many pills (antibiotics) must be cut in half as they will not go down.

If you eat warmed up chicken and it get stuck you will slime - (Spit up) a LARGE red solo cup of slime, spit, your eyes water, and nose runs. I thought I was literally dying my first stick. The slime causes tooth decay.

True, if the band is too tight it cause food too get stuck. However, if it's not tight enough your able to eat a little more & want loose weight. So find the SWEET SPOT they say... Okay today we find the sweet spot and it works well. Then you decide to travel 3 hours and the band then changes, so it's a viscous cycle.

EVERYTHING effects the band...

Weather, mood, stress, climate change, traveling, stress, sweating, flying, boating.

When you eat it is VERY little and everything must be chopped tiny tiny. Your stomach continues to make HORRIBLY loud gurgling sounds screaming for food. You are FULL but it's not the the tummy full feeling...it's indigestion filling of being full. You will become SICK of Protein Drink after a couple of years because you live on them.

In researching I was hard headed and thought I could get thru anything and would be different form the 5 people that kept screaming - - - NO No no...I sure wish I had listened.

If your serious about the weight loss why not do something permanent and one time instead of like me...NOW looking to have a revision. Which means TWO surgery - one to remove the band then waiting 6 months before a sleeve or MGB.

Think long and hard - the media doesn't tell you all the good and bad regarding the band.

Edited by BeachBish
added info

I had band done in 2011, got pregnant a few month later with an empty band. Fast forward to finally getting 2 small fills. Vomiting almost daily and thought I was just doing something wrong. I finally realize that stress, my period, time of day and so many other factors actually affected my band. I had an unfill last week and started the process of having it removed and getting bypass. It was normal to vomit or go days without keeping anything down. IT'S NOT NORMAL! but I kept blaming myself or making excuses.

I cannot wait for revision. It'll take 6 months of insurance hoops but I can't Wait!

Just remember everybody and Every Body is different.

I did band because I felt like it was less invasive and the success was still up to me. Live and learn. It wasn't right for me and the more research you do, the more confusing it can be. What are you comfortable with? How much of a fight are you willing to give?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOUR POST!

Have you checked into revision yet?
Will you have two different surgeries?

Lap band removal then bypass?

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOUR POST!
Have you checked into revision yet?
Will you have two different surgeries?
Lap band removal then bypass?

Hi dear, not aure if you're asking me but I'll respond:-)

I started revision hoops last week, 6 months of stuff but doctor said because I have one failure with band, high BMI and sleep apnea, I will totally be approved.

She won't know if it will be one surgery or two until she's there and sees what state I'm in. She said it most certainly sounds like I have scar tissue bit having an unfill and months to heal, could certainly work in my favor. I'm hoping to have it all done in one but if it takes two, then so be it. Better safe then sorry.

Yes, I was asking. :)

I'm at the same point with my band. So they take out all of the Fluid first? I have an appt. next month so I'm just counting down the days until then to find out more info.
Thanks so much.

Yes, I was asking.
I'm at the same point with my band. So they take out all of the Fluid first? I have an appt. next month so I'm just counting down the days until then to find out more info.
Thanks so much.

If you want revision, yes!!!!! Take all the fluid out! This may be enough time to help heal a bit and can increase the odds of it being one surgery instead of 2. I felt instant relief when my fluid was taken out. I could not believe it. Again, it wasn't even half full and I was just used to it and vomiting almost daily.

What are the chances that I’ll need a revision? My bmi is 32 at the moment. I am honestly a food addict, and my appetite gets the best of me. I’m just tired of feeling like I have no control over my eating habits. I truly feel like the lap band could help me stabilize and take control for the rest of my life. I’m only 21 years old so that would mean my lap band would have to last 40+ years! Is this even possible??
I've never seen someone with one lap band for 40 years. I didn't think that was possible. ?

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

I have to agree with some of the earlier posters - I wouldn’t recommend the band to a friend. I was diligent and followed the rules to the letter. It worked great for about 5 years, then the port broke (some kind of manufacturing fault, a bad lot, hundreds broke all around the world). After the replacement, nothing worked. I knew the rules, I followed the rules, I inflated, I inflated, but there was never again that “sweet spot”.

Some here have suggested the blame is on the patient - if you don’t make your lap band work it is your own fault. Not so. For many, it just won’t work. In fact, my lab band surgeon told me research now suggests that 80-90% of lab bands are not doiing their job after 10 years, which is why many surgeons won’t do them any more. In fact in New Zealand I think you can’t get one put in now.

if it works, great - but the 90% of patients aren’t all idiots or lazy or cutting corners - if you choose it, you are taking a bigger risk of failure than other choices... and it is rapidly becoming “old technology”.

Don't know if you have gone ahead and got a band yet. I found your post a little late in the game. I don't know if it is available in South Africa but another option is gastric plication. It is not terrifically popular in the US but in Europe and some other countries it highly rated. They tuck part of your stomach into your stomach (so it take up room) and stitch it so it stays there. You are not as hungry afterwards. It is a simpler and less invasive surgery than bypass or sleeve. There is plication forum here you could go to and there is lots of info on line about the procedure. No erosion etc from the band with this.

I have a suggestion that you MIGHT want to consider 32 BMI and an intense relationship with food is a concern. Personally, I have had a GREAT experience with the Lapband. I got it in March 2008 at 43 BMI. I'm current 26 BMI. My first 5 years was consistent losing and then holding steady at 30 BMI. Then - there was a 4 or 5 yr period when I slowly gained 30 lbs and just couldn't stop myself from eating. Then I went on a medically supervised Liquid Protein diet. It worked. Stopped my cravings in their tracks. The band, that I thought had stopped working, kicked back in and was a great help. After the liquid diet, I found foods that were low calorie, nutritional and I never let that craving bear come back. So far, so good.

As to the band -- I read a lot of research (in fact - I AM a medical researcher) and I don't believe there is any evidence that the band causes cancer. Now -- having said that -- I DO think that having it too tight, or slimming or engaging in certain practices is flirting with CA and other health problems. I also believe that there are MDs who are not properly trained. I also think that the band can be problematic for someone who has a good surgeon and who does everything right. There a risk - that it will need to be removed --yes. So far, I have been fine. No problems -- never --- but I can't swear that it will always be that way.

But -- now-- after saying all of that --- I'd recommend that at 32 BMI - you first try a medically supervised liquid Protein diet. You are overweight but not morbidly obese. It would be cheaper, non-invasive and just as fast of a weight loss. If it doesn't work -- try surgery. Best wishes

Hi Guys...

Haven't been on here in a long time.

Just thought I would stop by and let you know after a year of having my band in... I had it removed in January.

Constantly choking, puking, etc... I made the decision.

I can honestly say I wish I never did it.

My surgeon and his office shut down... basically ran about a month after I was banded.

Now I hear of a class action suit in Canada... going after Lap Band.

Hopefully it works for some people... not me.

Spend $12 000.... I tried.....lol.

I would say... really do your homework.

My hematologist recommended the lap band for me, and I did not get far asking for advice; my sister has the lap band, and has lost lots of weight... but she also said that last year her lap band rolled over on her stomach and closed it off, making her border-line anorexic. Doctors have manage to get the band working again, and are waiting for her to get her health back before they remove it completely. She told me in ho uncertain terms to not get the lap band.

After meeting with my surgeon just last week, he has told me that he no longer performs the lap band surgery, and has moved exclusively to VSG or RNY surgeries only. His reasoning was the lack of performance and the multitude of issues that the lap bands can have.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:42 PM, Julie norton said:

I lOVE my band. . 11 years later and tho we argue at times... it does work for many.

@Julie norton

hey bud

my mind always goes to you when good or bad is said about the lapband

11 successful years with (lapband) WLS is terrific. it works great for you.

(energizer bunny;))

hopefully the two of you will live happily ever after!!!

your sleever friend

kathy