Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering a lap band - scared after reading this forum!

I have my first consultation next week for lap band surgery. I was certain that the positive result from the lap band would outweigh the negative. But reading about the lap band causing CANCER and heart problems and removal and revision surgeries and slipping and ‘horrible pain’ and er visits. I feel unbelievably scared and unsure!

What are the chances that I’ll need a revision? My bmi is 32 at the moment. I am honestly a food addict, and my appetite gets the best of me. I’m just tired of feeling like I have no control over my eating habits. I truly feel like the lap band could help me stabilize and take control for the rest of my life. I’m only 21 years old so that would mean my lap band would have to last 40+ years! Is this even possible??

Why is everyone saying lap bands are “a thing of the past” and “very risky” and getting angry at anyone who gets the lap band done?!

Well, if you've been reading the forum and seen all the people needing Lapland revisions, then this should be fairly evident. If I remember correctly, the percentage of lapbands done in 2016 was only 3% of all weight loss procedures. That number has dropped dramatically year after year with most of those moving toward VSG.

1 minute ago, VSGnewguy said:

Well, if you've been reading the forum and seen all the people needing Lapland revisions, then this should be fairly evident. If I remember correctly, the percentage of lapbands done in 2016 was only 3% of all weight loss procedures. That number has dropped dramatically year after year with most of those moving toward VSG.

I’m not ready for something as drastic and irreversible as a bypass or sleeve. That’s why I looked into the band. Complications are so numerous and I haven’t heard of a success story past 15 years. Definitely not a “life long” helper since I’m only 21 now. I’ve tried every diet and exercise about 5 times a week , my bmi is 32 which means I’m just in the obese range and 2 surgeons have recommended the band to me. I’m very confused and hopeless as to what to do. Any advice?

Have you investigated the endoscopic sleeve? I just heard of it myself but that may be better with someone with your bmi. Just do a search and you'll find some info.

Hi

i had a gastric band 10 years ago and it was fantastic for 5 years. Mine broke then (the fill port) and got repaired (New port under local) but we never got it to work again.

When they work, they work great. But surgeons seem to be finding too high a percentage have problems, so many are stopping the band. One point - cause cancer? I seriously doubt there is any reputable research showing that! They can slip, get complications - mostly, though, people who have trouble can’t get them adjusted just right so they work. I did the first 5 years, but just couldn’t in the second 5! I knew what the ‘sweet spot’ felt like - but couldn’t get there.

I chose the band cos it was reversible. Psychologically I needed that - I am in my 50s so life long wasn’t such a concern - but I think the research is getting pretty clear than bands do not last 40, 50 years. After 10 the percentage still working well is pretty low... sorry.

31 minutes ago, VSGnewguy said:

Have you investigated the endoscopic sleeve? I just heard of it myself but that may be better with someone with your bmi. Just do a search and you'll find some info.

I see that it is not a surgery offered in South Africa. Sounds promising !

if I choose to get a laparoscopic sleeve done though, that would be lifelong and low risk?

Don't do it. Lapband is an awful device. Living with it for the past 9 years has been a nightmare. Finding anyone to adjust or remove (if the surgeon that put it in is inaccessible) is impossible. No one wants to deal with it because of all of the potential risks / complications.

I disagree. I am 5 years out this month. I love my band. It keeps me in check. Most people that don’t like the band is because they don’t follow the rules. Of course there are medical issues that occur and it needs to be removed. I started at 225 and now I am down to 167. I am now a size 8-10. Kept it off for 5 years. I work out a lot and when I eat foods that I shouldn’t or too much food I pay the price. It reminds me NOT to do it again. It’s not a magic pill. It’s just a tool but you have to be nice to it.

Anyone who claims to be living a band nightmare for nine years either picked the surgeon based on price or never did the requisite follow up visits. I see my doctor every four months and I can assure you no reputable bariatric surgeon would allow a patient to suffer for nine years. 90% of the band haters had a procedure under insurance that wouldn't cover follow up visits, adjustments or in rare instances medically necessary removals....or lived with a maladjusted band until their health was affected. If you have the band chose the best doctor and heed their advice. Bands are not place and forget procedures. I know people who are having problems with sleeve and bypass surgery. It happens. My band works, and all I know is it controls my appetite with zero side effects.

Congratulations to both of y'all, glad it worked out so well for you. I still would never recommend this device to anyone.

Mine was one of the early ones, before there was any long term info. It was put in by a military surgeon. As such, there is no long term follow up, everyone gets shifted around every few years. If you plan to never move and your surgeon is staying in the same place for the rest of your life, sure. The overwhelming data at this point is that it is not a good option, and most surgeons refuse to put them in. And, if they didn't "make the mess" then they "don't want to deal with or be liable for any issues related to cleaning it up" - to quote 7 different bariatric surgeons that I have contacted over the years.

I have other health issues unrelated to yet exacerbated by the band. They were not yet diagnosed at the time.

I am glad that it has worked for y'all, again. But perhaps y'all might consider not attacking or lobbing crappy accussations at other people. Just because it worked well for you does not mean that it works well for all, or even most. The Lapband has a very bad rep in the medical community nowadays and is basically the cheapest possible surgical option at this point.

Check out this article:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/magazine/622-types-of-bariatric-surgery-by-the-numbers-and-what-it-means/

Lap bands work for some people and I don't see the point of attacking individuals who have had great success. That said, there is a big chance of complications with the band. I live in Australia, where there were an insanely high rate of lap bands performed and now they are out of favour. Interestingly, if people are looking for a non-permanent, less invasive strategy they are getting the balloons. I think we'll see a growth in that.

I wanted a lap band and my surgeon was like no. He has performed thousands of WLSs and basically won't do them anymore. Apparently, he constantly does revisions from the lap band to VGS or bypass. His view is that the lap band doesn't work long term for most people.

There's no correct answer but make sure you get medical advice and are comfortable with your decision.

The band is NOT for many.
For all kinds of reasons: placement, fillls, compliance, defects, etc
It is reversible and adjustable.
I appreciated that when I made my decision in 2006.
I understand the sleeve is the most used surgery in the United States.

I really like my band. I do NOT challenge her. I have a fill or a deflate about every 6-9 months..... and it is harder to find Doctors now.
I would do it again in a heartbeat [emoji175]!
Helped me lose 85 lbs., although it does not do it for you. I have kept off 75 and still try everyday.
Best of luck on anyone’s choice of surgery...it is truly a personal journey. And for once... the weight stays off for many!