Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve & PCOS

Hello all!

I am looking to hear your stories on how your PCOS changed after weight loss surgery. I tried to conceive my first child for 2 years and was never successful. I decided that it was time to take my health more seriously. I opted for the gastric sleeve and I am looking at a surgery date for the end of March or beginning of April. So far I have been able to loose 30 pounds 4 months into the 6 month diet and exercise program. I had what I think could have been a period last week. It was extremely light for me but it did last for a good 8 days or so. I don't even remember the last time that I had a period without it being induced so I am hopeful that my cycles and fertility will restore itself after surgery. I want to hear what surgery has done for you, your PCOS, your fertility, and overall experience with pregnancy after weight loss surgery! Thank you all and I cant wait to read what you have to say!

Hello all!
I am looking to hear your stories on how your PCOS changed after weight loss surgery. I tried to conceive my first child for 2 years and was never successful. I decided that it was time to take my health more seriously. I opted for the gastric sleeve and I am looking at a surgery date for the end of March or beginning of April. So far I have been able to loose 30 pounds 4 months into the 6 month diet and exercise program. I had what I think could have been a period last week. It was extremely light for me but it did last for a good 8 days or so. I don't even remember the last time that I had a period without it being induced so I am hopeful that my cycles and fertility will restore itself after surgery. I want to hear what surgery has done for you, your PCOS, your fertility, and overall experience with pregnancy after weight loss surgery! Thank you all and I cant wait to read what you have to say!

Following, don’t have PCOS but I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility.. so I love to hear success stories hoping one day I’ll have my own [emoji169]

I have PCOS and am about 10 months post op and 11 weeks pregnant. We were told I don’t ovulate because I literally never get a period. I also only got 1 spontaneous period after surgery but had to take medication in April to get my period and apparently that helped kick start ovulation because I’m pregnant now haha. I would say trust what the doctors say because I miscarried in 2006 and never used contraception from that point on and never get pregnant and we even tried fertility treatments. The surgery definitely regulates hormones!! I thought “pshhh I know I can’t get pregnant” and now I am. It’s a blessing and I’m happy but I was hoping to wait 2-3 years after surgery, not 10 months.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:45 AM, McKenna Colster said:

Hello all!

Hello! I have PCOS just like you and am now in search for a place of operation myself for the sleeve. I also never get my period and don't ovulate. Feeling down, I started doing research and found tons of extremely helpful youtube videos on this very topic. Women like us going through this same exact thing. I've heard the same things over and again, Post Op a lot of the girls become incredibly fertile. I will tell you what one of those girls told me. Don't worry, Your baby is coming (: Congrats on the progress you've made so far thats incredible! I wanted to know an update of how you're doing now Post OP? Are you pregnant yet? how are you feeling? Also, if you don't mind my asking where did you get your operation done? I'm happy to know there are women out there who can relate to where I am in my current state. Thank you for posting this.:780_sparkling_heart:

I’m post op gastric bypass 7 weeks. Lost 55 pounds up to this point.

I have PCOS, insulin resistance as well. I’m hoping that I will get my period and start ovulating. Even though it’s too soon to get pregnant it’s a step in the right direction.

I hope the best for all who have PCOS.

Well, my experience with PCOS and pregnancy was actually before my surgery, but may still be helpful. It took 2 years to get pregnant with our first child. I never had a period without medication. We finally got pregnant after almost 2 years with clomid and IUI. All the while my doctors telling me that losing weight would help my chances but if you have PCOS you know how hard that is! After he was born I never really went back on birth control, figuring we would never get pregnant without intervention and for a year we were right. When we decided to try again I started losing some weight while we began the fertility process again. On my 5th cycle "trying" I was down about 35 lbs, had a huge cyst, so my dr decided to cancel any treatment for the cycle and that is the month we got pregnant, NATURALLY! It was a shock and a blessing. So now we are super careful! Haha! I have endometriosis too, so the weight was not everything, but it was a big factor for me for sure. Best of luck to you all soon!