Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How would you rate the ease/difficulty of your first week after surgery?

If

1 is....I had horrible complications and wish I had never done it.

5 is...I had periods of difficulty and times I was really stressed and challenged, but I got through it.

10 is...I'm one of the luckiest ones. My surgery was an absolute breeze. No stress, very easy recovery.

Have to say my surgery was a 10. Super easy. Another poster said....my only discomfort was that it felt like I'd done too many situps the day before. That was me, too. Very easy recovery. Drinking was very easy for me, too, as were all the food stages.

I'm really interested to see where most people self report they fall on this scale. I think it'll help those trying to decide.

Edited by Creekimp13

I'd have to say 3 for me. Despite some complications on my third day it was pretty rough as it were. Looking back I think half my misery was due to not reacting well to pain meds, but I was also having a hard time getting fluids in. When I finally got home six days later I was still fighting an elevated heart rate & temperature along with extreme fatigue. First two weeks were not a lot of fun but things did get better.

That being said I have no regrets. Not saying I'd want to do it all over again, but it was worth it. :D

I was in horrific pain, I was miserable, I had 3 major procedures done and did not get the sleeve voluntarily. I couldn't get in and out of bed by myself, I was scared, tired, in a lot of pain. I had a breakdown by week 4 and didn't stop crying for 7 days. scale of 1-10, well I didn't have to go back into the hospital of complications so I'll say a 3. It was miserable and horrible and not a positive thing for me. 15 months later and life is great, I wish I had had the surgery 20 years ago had it existed.

But my first weeks were horrible and I resented all the people who were like "Everything is great!" because I could barely walk. Then there were the folks here that shamed anyone who expressed regret so when I posted my situation I get attacked by a few posters who are now banned. But at the time it was a HUGE blow, I felt like not only am I an obese failure but I am apparently even worse than my peers because it went great for them and apparently by expressing regret I'm pushing others from getting the surgery.

It was really rough. It's why I try to really support those expressing post or pre surgery fears and regrets. It's OK, we'll get through it!

10 - I'm 8 days post op, went back to work on day 4 with no problem, didn't need pain meds or nausea meds at home. Drinking has been no problem, gets better every day.

10- Surgery was smooth, recovery was easy. No issues at all. Went to work 5 days post op.

I would say I was an 8. First few days were tough, no complications or issues, just did not feel well. Since day 5 I have been feeling great!

I'm on day 2 post op.. still in a lot of pain..especially when I walk .. just finished some cream of wheat with protein.. it went down well ... no pain unlike when I drink water.. it feels like a cement brick going down

Ohh girl. Def a 3, maybe a 2.. I was in soo much pain. I coudln't believe how much pain. I'd underestimated how painful it would be. Infact I did a video about it Lol

I was about a 6 for the first couple of days but then improved noticeably each day since.

I was somewhere between a 5 and 10, so I'll just say a 7.

I was one of the lucky ones who had no gas pains at all after surgery. I was also lucky in that I got fluids down without any pain.

My only complaint was that I was in so much pain. I know that my past open and laparoscopic abdominal surgeries over the past few years compounded the issue and it also didn't help that I had 2 large abdominal hernias....which was one of the reasons I had to have the sleeve, doctor wanted to fix my hernias, but first, I had to lose 80-100 pounds!

Oddly, day 5 after the sleeve was my worst for pain, oh yes it was. Day 6 and after was a breeze!

Probably a 2, had to be rushed back to the hospital via ambulance due to complications. It got way easier after week 1

I want to say 9. My surgery was great no complications but I woke up vomiting from the tube ( at least that's what I heard the nurses say in my haze as I was spewing foam.) I also had a bad reaction to the morphine they kept pumping into me all day after surgery. It made me dry heave and have stomach spasms that was so painful. After they figured out morphine was a no no at midnight I was 100% changed woman. I got up and walked around which release my gas pressure in my shoulder etc. My recovery went amazing after that .. every day getting better and better. If it wasn't for the issues after surgery that first day I swear it probably would have been a breeze.