Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I lied about my height...now I’m nervous

I was just approved for sleeve surgery (yay ) and now the reality is setting in and I’m getting nervous about everything. Current weight 265 and actual height is 5’10”, although I lied to doctor and said I was 5’8” to make sure my BMI was over 40 for insurance approval.

Does height matter for surgery? I’m nervous this can effect incisions and measurements for surgery. If I tell my doctor will they make me go through approval again? Actual BMI is 38 vs 41 (which it would be if I were 5’8”). Thanks for any advise!

I would think it doesn’t affect the incisions as people who are the same height have different proportions.

Shouldn't effect things. I'm surprised they did not measure you though

Some insurance comp will approve you at 35 or above if you have two health issues. Mine was sleep apnea and high cholestrol.

1 hour ago, NYCNomad said:

said I was 5’8” to make sure my BMI was over 40 for insurance approval.

@NYCNomad

Height does make a difference regarding the BMI, but they

didn't measure your height, approval went through, they

shouldn't turn around and deny you now.

don't be a worry wart LOL - you have a DOS - hopefully it's soon,

then you can breathe easier PO. BTW - many OP are approved

with under a 40 BMI - if they have certain problems. diabetes, high

blood pressure etc.

Sounds like your inner voice (conscious) is bothering you.

that's ok, hope your nose doesn't grow too much:lol:

good luck

speedy recovery

kathy

LOL, you must be Catholic -- we are trained to be eternally guilty!! My doc measured me at my first visit -- found out I was an inch shorter than I used to be.

I had the opposite type problem, I've always been 5ft11inches my entire life, when my surgeon's office measured me I'm now 5ft8in, either I'm settling with old age,my discs are dehydrating or my vertebrae are scrunching down like a salmon. Maybe my weight is giving me build like an Egyptian pyramid. Looking forward to the changes surgery will bring.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, NYCNomad said:

I was just approved for sleeve surgery (yay ) and now the reality is setting in and I’m getting nervous about everything. Current weight 265 and actual height is 5’10”, although I lied to doctor and said I was 5’8” to make sure my BMI was over 40 for insurance approval.

Does height matter for surgery? I’m nervous this can effect incisions and measurements for surgery. If I tell my doctor will they make me go through approval again? Actual BMI is 38 vs 41 (which it would be if I were 5’8”). Thanks for any advise!

No, it should not. Did they even check your height? This is surprising. If all of your medical and surgical clearances came back as healthy and safe enough for surgery, then you should be fine but I am not a medical professional and if you have concerns that is whom you need to consult. You have to consider whether or not to tell the doctor at this point. You could also ask the doctor a very generic question, "Does a person's height matter for surgery?"

it shouldn't affect anything surgery wise. Your height is already documented, and you are already approved. Don't worry about it. You felt a need to stretch the truth, and that is bad, but I feel that the 40 BMI rule is stupid anyway. I think that a 35 BMI should be allowed without co-morbidities.

Good luck to you!

14 minutes ago, DropWt4Life said:

it shouldn't affect anything surgery wise. Your height is already documented, and you are already approved. Don't worry about it. You felt a need to stretch the truth, and that is bad, but I feel that the 40 BMI rule is stupid anyway. I think that a 35 BMI should be allowed without co-morbidities.

Good luck to you!

Honestly, a lot of the requirements are just stupid. The one that pisses me off to no end is when I hear that insurance companies are requiring 3-6 months worth of medically supervised weight management. Traditional diet and exercise alone has not worked in the past, so how will this time be any different? Isn't the classic definition of madness to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result? Instead, the patient ends up kicking the problem down the road 6 more months and may end up even heavier by the time comes for surgery.

Again, I will point to the statistics: 65% of people who use WLS as a tool have long term success versus only about 10% through traditional diet and exercise alone! If you're a health insurer, wouldn't you rather pay for someone to go this route than potentially pay for someone's heart attack, stroke, or expensive medications and treatments? Sick people are very costly to insurance companies so you would think that the health insurer would be all over something that could save them tons of money long term.

6 hours ago, kakatlady612 said:

I had the opposite type problem, I've always been 5ft11inches my entire life, when my surgeon's office measured me I'm now 5ft8in, either I'm settling with old age,my discs are dehydrating or my vertebrae are scrunching down like a salmon. Maybe my weight is giving me build like an Egyptian pyramid. Looking forward to the changes surgery will bring.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I seem to have lost an inch when they measured me too, kind of makes you wonder... I didn't complain because my BMI was on the edge too

I wouldn't worry about it. I am surprised they didn't measure you first visit. They gave me an inch and I made them remeasure me with my shoes off lol. I don't think they measured my height day of surgery just my weight so I think I would just leave it be.

Their fault for not measuring you, I get measured every time I go to the surgeon, even at post-op appointments.

I was just approved for sleeve surgery (yay [emoji119]) and now the reality is setting in and I’m getting nervous about everything. Current weight 265 and actual height is 5’10”, although I lied to doctor and said I was 5’8” to make sure my BMI was over 40 for insurance approval.

I did too and my surgery was 12-19-17. Well actually the doctor did. I am fine.