Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon didn't complete my Gastric Bypass surgery!

I went on January 16 for gastric bypass. I woke up about an hour after being put under to a nurse in the recovery area telling me they did not complete my surgery because of complications. I have multiple adhesions and my intestines are stuck together so much that my anatomy does not look like it should. My surgeon did not want to complete the surgery until I could be told. He has given me the option to have him do a sleeve or for him to refer me out to someone who still does open bypass surgery.

I cannot explain the mind f**k this was and the anxiety I am feeling. This is terrible. I knew something was going to happen or be found. I knew that I was right. Something was going to be found that would explain the symptoms I had had for years at this point. These adhesions do not show up on scans of any sort unless you have an obstruction. I have only had one other surgery in my abdomen and it was a laparoscopic appendectomy 10 years ago. He thinks it stems from chronic inflammation and autoimmune **** that I have.

Has anybody had an open procedure for bypass? What's your experience? Or has anyone been opened up and not finished?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

I understand what you because they try to do revision of gastro bypass back July 2017 and the doctor aborted the surgery because he stated they I have to much scar tissues. Now I am waiting for approved to have done but they will have to open me like they did back in 1995.

Soooo so sorry for your results in this lap surgery!!! Hugs and prayers!!!

If it were me, I'd have them get me the best surgeon and do it open, have them clean up as many adhesions as possible and get the bypass. Then I would eat as low inflammatory diet as possible!

8 hours ago, numinousvessel said:

I went on January 16 for gastric bypass. I woke up about an hour after being put under to a nurse in the recovery area telling me they did not complete my surgery because of complications. I have multiple adhesions and my intestines are stuck together so much that my anatomy does not look like it should. My surgeon did not want to complete the surgery until I could be told. He has given me the option to have him do a sleeve or for him to refer me out to someone who still does open bypass surgery.

I cannot explain the mind f**k this was and the anxiety I am feeling. This is terrible. I knew something was going to happen or be found. I knew that I was right. Something was going to be found that would explain the symptoms I had had for years at this point. These adhesions do not show up on scans of any sort unless you have an obstruction. I have only had one other surgery in my abdomen and it was a laparoscopic appendectomy 10 years ago. He thinks it stems from chronic inflammation and autoimmune **** that I have.

Has anybody had an open procedure for bypass? What's your experience? Or has anyone been opened up and not finished?

Eeek! I am sorry that you've had to undergo this. If it were me, I would absolutely not go open bariatric surgery. If the procedure could not be done laprascopically, it is a no go. Consider going the sleeve route then. I don't go for surgery until next month but if I have this kind of situation, a sleeve is still better than the alternative of continuing to be obese and have health problems.

The only person I've seen who had an open and still active is@biddynz, probably in New Zealand, you might try her on here or PM her, her postings sound like she's a very nice lady and its only been a month or so since her surgery. I hope you're still get your surgery and soon, its like yanking the lollipop away at the,last moment.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi there @numinousvessel

I had open surgery 5 weeks ago. Actually it was pretty ok. I spent a bit more time in hospital than my surgery buddies, 5 days, but the recovery was swift. I was up and walking the next day, and a bit more every day. Today my regimen is back to pre-surgery, I am back at work. One plus side - you don’t get the nasty gas pain I vividly remember from my gastric band laparoscopic surgery!

Feel free to pm me for a chat, or ask here...

About 6 years ago a friend of mine had the open surgery in MA. He was in the hospital for 3 days and out of work for 3 weeks. He did have to sleep in a recliner for a week or so because going from laying down to getting up caused him a lot of pain along his incision. He didn't have any problems and did really well. He does have a crazy scar but he's ok with that. His surgeon recommended it, I never knew why.

So sorry I know how you feel. I was opened up for a sleeve and it was cancelled due to a large hiatal hernia. So pissed off! After 2 weeks on a liquid diet and total terror I wake up with nothing done! And I still have to recover!

Sorry to hear that, super frustrating! I personally would go with the sleeve if it can be done safely and laparoscopicly. An Open bypass isn't that crazy, but you end up with a huge scar and more healing to do. The risk of a hernia is much higher. I know someone who had one and their recovery was fine, just much slower, but they did have to have hernia surgery to repair a hernia years later (they also didn't follow instructions that well and probably over did it).

Like with anything else I'd suggest talking to both surgeons and getting opinions of what they think. For example can the adhesions even be cleaned up, or is it going to be worse if they try? I'm guessing they won't do either proceedure for a couple months until you heal, so you have nothing to lose by getting a couple expert opinions. You could also talk to a thoracic surgeon about what they think.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:12 PM, cbf said:

So sorry I know how you feel. I was opened up for a sleeve and it was cancelled due to a large hiatal hernia. So pissed off! After 2 weeks on a liquid diet and total terror I wake up with nothing done! And I still have to recover!

I'm having surgery next week and this is my worst fear!!!

I just had my bariatric bypass on 2/26/18... I stayed overnight at the hospital... I’m doing well except for the pain where one of my cuts is... When I’m sleeping and take my pain beds I sleep... But when I wake up the pain is almost unbearable. Just took my pain pill now. Take an hour half to work. I know part of it is gas. Has anyone had the same experience....Help!!!

Mililani50 , sorry to hear that. That should subside in the next few days! If it doesn’t then call your Doctor

I didn’t have any pain really after day 1 other than itchy incisions and feeling like I did a stomach workout. I joke that I swear they didn’t do the surgery based on pain and eating amounts. All around good luck I guess

Hang in there

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 175
CW 191.4
5’6”

I am seeing a bariatric surgeon in my town tomorrow. He usually does not take on patients with bipolar disorder and I am hoping he will make an exception as I have met with him previously about my gallbladder. If it is a no, I have set up another appointment with my original surgeon but it isn't until April 18 and I would get a surgery date then. I also tried to get on with another office that does open surgery that is 4 hours away and after the surgeons had a meeting and reviewed my files, they decided that they would decline me bases on my surgeon's report from the day of surgery. I am not sure if it is caused by my autoimmune stuff, but I think it is chronic inflammation that has caused these adhesions. It has made my head and heart hurt too much to be on here or Instagram because everyone is moving and growing and changing. And here I am, stuck in limbo and on pause.

I just sent this to biddynz.

Also, why are you talking about something that is not related to my OP ? There are multiple forums and boards that could answer your question rather than this post about an aborted surgery and adhesions.