Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice...trail half marathon

I am stepping way out of my comfort zone to do something I have always dreamed of. I'm signing up to do a trail half marathon! http://usnwc.org/play/whitewater-race-series/upcoming/the-new-south-trail-marathon/

Already checked with the race director to make sure it was okay that I walked part of it. I know for sure there's no way I could run the whole thing. My plan is to run a mile or two walk a mile or two. I don't care if I come in last for my age group, my goal is to finish!

Any tips for me on staying hydrated during the race and what to eat before/during/after the race?

VSG 10/11/17 HW = 360 SW = 292 CW = 238 GW = 220 (6'5")

I'll let others more informed than I give you advice. I just wanted to say I think you're brave and really cool for putting yourself out there and doing this:) Good luck!

I did a 10K 3 weeks and a day out. Then again I was quite in shape. LOL. Did I get this right? You had surgery on 10/11/17 and are looking to do a half 5 months out from that surgery?

One, you need to start training at least 3 months ahead, which if it is March, you are down to 2 months. You're still healing. Did the MD surgeon approve you doing this?

The good thing is that it is in the cooler periods. Still sip sip sip. You're going to need decent nutrition. You can try seeing if any of the gels help. Carb Boom has always been a stand by for years. Most of these will hit you like no tomorrow.

Where are you at in terms of training, having tried the gels, food, etc.?

1 hour ago, 336Mike said:

I am stepping way out of my comfort zone to do something I have always dreamed of. I'm signing up to do a trail half marathon! http://usnwc.org/play/whitewater-race-series/upcoming/the-new-south-trail-marathon/

Already checked with the race director to make sure it was okay that I walked part of it. I know for sure there's no way I could run the whole thing. My plan is to run a mile or two walk a mile or two. I don't care if I come in last for my age group, my goal is to finish!

Any tips for me on staying hydrated during the race and what to eat before/during/after the race?

I say be brave! Do it!

It sounds like you are excited about this race......Runs get addicting. Living the dream my friend..:):)Doing intervals of running and walking is a great.

It depends on how much running you plan on getting into. The investment is up to you. (This is long..lol I know I'm a running nerd)

I you are not training already..Get a good program going.

(1) Shoes shoes are something you should invest in as a runner. They do make trail running shoes.

Here is some info to fit shoes to your needs:

• Look at the wear pattern on the bottom of your shoe. Google
  • Neutral shoes
  • Over pronate shoes
  • under pronate shoes.
  • Link to how to fit shoes by runners world.

https://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/how-to-buy-the-right-running-shoes/slide/6

(2) Hydration. They do have aid and refill stations along the route. Check to see how far apart each station is. That should give you an idea of how much Water you need to carey.

Two types of hydration systems. Belts and vests.

Vests cary larger amounts of water, they have less bounce. they hold tight to your Make sure they have room to hold things --- car keys, running gels, food for fuel, Nuun tabs,and medical stuff you may need (medication..Diabetic testing etc)

Gatorade and water are usually at the aid stations..Gatorade turns my stomach upside down. Not promoting this product but it works well for me to avoid dehydration NUUN tabs easy to cary on your rote

http://nuunlife.com/hydration/

(3) what to eat before during and after your run.

I used a sports medicine dietician.,,. We all have different needs with this. Always consult the professionals first

before, during or after a race. Never eat anything that you have not tested to see if you can tolerate it...This includes running gels. (I can't tolerate running gels)

Before - Night before I eat plenty of Protein (1g per body weight) healthy carbs sweet potato, brown rice, whole wheat Pasta or bread steel cut oats. (I can't tolerate rice it bloats me)

Morning of the race. I don't like to feel overstuffed - I eat strawberries, yogurt, and oatmeal.

I drink in the morning and while driving to the route.

Before the run look online or call. Check the event to see what foods will be on hand at aid/refill stations ( Usually bananas apples oranges muffins) I can tolerate a banana..the other stuff does not work for me..sits to heavy when I run.

When I'm on a route I try to eat every 1 1/2 hours.

OK...Yes I have done the following. Baby food pouches. and Protein Bars. I have to admit the baby food sat on my stomach better.

Some runners have gone as far to by refillable baby food pouches to make their own running fuel mix...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pack-Refillable-Baby-Food-Pouch-great-for-snacks-and-Drinks-USA-seller-/302118806329

After your run..Drink a Protein Shake for recovery. The rest of your meals as you would normally for the day. If it's a long run might add some carb.

Some things I've learned...

These items can be found in small sizes to cary on the route.

Zantac, Imodium, small ace bandage, small size runners glide/vaseline to stop chafing. moleskin for blisters. small hand wipes after using the porta potty you will thank me!..sunscreen depending on the temp.

To keep cool. When you see the aid station volunteers holding out styrofoam cups...Take one and dump it over your head to cool down. Works even better if you wear a baseball cap. (avoid your eyes) lol

More info than you probably wanted...Enjoy this run!..I want photos!!!!!

download.jpg

NSPT-4625N-515x600.jpg

download.jpg

images.jpg

I'll let others more informed than I give you advice. I just wanted to say I think you're brave and really cool for putting yourself out there and doing this:) Good luck!

Thank you for being supportive!

I did a 10K 3 weeks and a day out. Then again I was quite in shape. LOL. Did I get this right? You had surgery on 10/11/17 and are looking to do a half 5 months out from that surgery?
One, you need to start training at least 3 months ahead, which if it is March, you are down to 2 months. You're still healing. Did the MD surgeon approve you doing this?
The good thing is that it is in the cooler periods. Still sip sip sip. You're going to need decent nutrition. You can try seeing if any of the gels help. Carb Boom has always been a stand by for years. Most of these will hit you like no tomorrow.
Where are you at in terms of training, having tried the gels, food, etc.?

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am cleared by my Dr. Only 18 pounds from my personal goal weight...already way past the Dr's goal weight. He thinks I'm on the right track.

I currently run 3-5 miles and can comfortably run/walk 12 miles. The challenge with the trail half is the frequent changes in elevation. I'm looking forward to that challenge.

When I run/walk I only have Water I physically carry with me. That's not practical on this event. Thinking maybe a camel pack our something would help?? I have not "fueled" up with certain foods before any of my activities. Still eating very high Protein and some veggies...which is why I'm looking for advice.

My goal for this is to finish...I don't care if I'm last...lol. It's something I've always dreamed of being able to do and I'm close to realizing my goal. The old me just couldn't. The new me can do anything I put my mind to.

Old me gone forever!!
1511707645089.jpg

This pic was 6 pounds ago.
1514751909478.jpg

I say be brave! Do it!
It sounds like you are excited about this race......Runs get addicting. Living the dream my friend..[emoji4][emoji4]Doing intervals of running and walking is a great.
It depends on how much running you plan on getting into. The investment is up to you. (This is long..lol I know I'm a running nerd)
I you are not training already..Get a good program going.
(1) Shoes shoes are something you should invest in as a runner. They do make trail running shoes.
Here is some info to fit shoes to your needs:
  • Look at the wear pattern on the bottom of your shoe. Google
  • Neutral shoes
  • Over pronate shoes
  • under pronate shoes.
  • Link to how to fit shoes by runners world.
https://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/how-to-buy-the-right-running-shoes/slide/6
(2) Hydration. They do have aid and refill stations along the route. Check to see how far apart each station is. That should give you an idea of how much Water you need to carey.
Two types of hydration systems. Belts and vests.
Vests cary larger amounts of water, they have less bounce. they hold tight to your Make sure they have room to hold things --- car keys, running gels, food for fuel, Nuun tabs,and medical stuff you may need (medication..Diabetic testing etc)
Gatorade and water are usually at the aid stations..Gatorade turns my stomach upside down. Not promoting this product but it works well for me to avoid dehydration NUUN tabs easy to cary on your rote
http://nuunlife.com/hydration/
(3) what to eat before during and after your run.
I used a sports medicine dietician.,,. We all have different needs with this. Always consult the professionals first
before, during or after a race. Never eat anything that you have not tested to see if you can tolerate it...This includes running gels. (I can't tolerate running gels)
Before - Night before I eat plenty of Protein (1g per body weight) healthy carbs sweet potato, brown rice, whole wheat Pasta or bread steel cut oats. (I can't tolerate rice it bloats me)
Morning of the race. I don't like to feel overstuffed - I eat strawberries, yogurt, and oatmeal.
I drink in the morning and while driving to the route.
Before the run look online or call. Check the event to see what foods will be on hand at aid/refill stations ( Usually bananas apples oranges muffins) I can tolerate a banana..the other stuff does not work for me..sits to heavy when I run.
When I'm on a route I try to eat every 1 1/2 hours.
OK...Yes I have done the following. Baby food pouches. and protein bars. I have to admit the baby food sat on my stomach better.
Some runners have gone as far to by refillable baby food pouches to make their own running fuel mix...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pack-Refillable-Baby-Food-Pouch-great-for-snacks-and-Drinks-USA-seller-/302118806329
After your run..Drink a Protein Shake for recovery. The rest of your meals as you would normally for the day. If it's a long run might add some carb.
Some things I've learned...
These items can be found in small sizes to cary on the route.
Zantac, Imodium, small ace bandage, small size runners glide/vaseline to stop chafing. moleskin for blisters. small hand wipes after using the porta potty you will thank me!..sunscreen depending on the temp.
To keep cool. When you see the aid station volunteers holding out styrofoam cups...Take one and dump it over your head to cool down. Works even better if you wear a baseball cap. (avoid your eyes) lol
More info than you probably wanted...Enjoy this run!..I want photos!!!!!

download.jpg.a618aa506f30ec3343b9cd6f031a0742.jpg
NSPT-4625N-515x600.jpg.9b3a0d7017b7992a9a16f0c2ea5970e4.jpg
download.jpg.936439690c962881a049485c9f9816b4.jpg
images.jpg.d4bbd612ed31f9950003597891dc0ec5.jpg

Thank you Jenn!!!!!!!! So much great info. You've inspired me!!!!! [emoji1] [emoji5]

Congratulations! I'm stalking this thread! I've been working on getting the courage to run a race. I've worked up to a 10k distance on my weekend long run. Thinking of doing the Houston marathon next year! A trail run sounds fun!

SW:269
CW:157
GW:150
Sleeved 9/26/2016

Congratulations! I'm stalking this thread! I've been working on getting the courage to run a race. I've worked up to a 10k distance on my weekend long run. Thinking of doing the Houston marathon next year! A trail run sounds fun!

SW:269
CW:157
GW:150
Sleeved 9/26/2016

Thank you!! Go for it and enter a race...we only live once!

I'm sorry I'm late. On a half they'll have Water at stations. If you need something else, there's always a camelback. You can also use the belts. That is what I used in the past.

Honestly, that level of food isn't going to cut it. You need carbs. That's just the way it is. Going for healthy carbs is going to be the ticket. That's why I suggested things like Carb Boom or the jelly Beans. Have you gone to a running store, a real running store? They could help you out some on that.

Btw, I did a marathon at 100 lbs overweight. I did a 8K a few weeks after abdominal surgery. Its possible. :)

51 minutes ago, swimbikerun said:

I'm sorry I'm late. On a half they'll have Water at stations. If you need something else, there's always a camelback. You can also use the belts. That is what I used in the past.

Honestly, that level of food isn't going to cut it. You need carbs. That's just the way it is. Going for healthy carbs is going to be the ticket. That's why I suggested things like Carb Boom or the jelly Beans. Have you gone to a running store, a real running store? They could help you out some on that.

Btw, I did a marathon at 100 lbs overweight. I did a 8K a few weeks after abdominal surgery. Its possible. :)

Fantastic that you were up and running early on.

Thanks for the tip on Carb boom. I'm picking some up to test my tolerance with it. Other gels I've tried didn't have the amount of carb...

Btw, I did a marathon at 100 lbs overweight. I did a 8K a few weeks after abdominal surgery. Its possible. [emoji4]

Thank you. There is a good running store in town. Good advice to go on and d check with them.

VSG 10/11/17 HW = 360 SW = 292 CW = 237.6 GW = 220 (6'5")

Different surgeries, but it is well worth it to get yourself in the best shape possible before surgery.

Its been a few years, but CB and the Beans were usually a lot less of a hit than anything else. There is at least one other kind I got at a bike store, but the taste wasn't as good.

We have a huge running store, two of them, owned by the same local runner, been around for years. If you can find that, or even drive to one an hour or so away, it would be worth it. They would have a lot of tips specific to runners that you can kinda tailor.

I swim now so that is another avenue for you. It would work the parts of the body more so that don't get worked now (legs). I tried triathlons and was hooked. :)

First off, let's address the carbs. You don't necessarily need them to run a race. I'm Keto and I run 44 minute 10k's. It isn't as big as everyone thinks. You need healthy sources of fats, Proteins and I would throw in some legumes. Stay away from expanding carbs like bread, rice, Pasta or oats. They will only bloat you. The morning of you need simple energy like Peanut Butter, Protein and a bit caloric glucose like blueberries or a banana. It really helps to keep you burning fat throughout the race so your energy levels remain stable. Secondly, I would recommend some kettlebell training to keep your knees from taking too much punishment prior to the race. Sprinting will go a long way but keep the sprints at 70 meters or less. Then take 3 minutes and repeat until your time drops below 3 seconds of your 2nd round of sprint. Every other day, walk fast, almost on the cusp of a jog but not quite. Go for 7 minutes and 30 seconds. Then, turn back and match that pace. The goal is to go out further every time. Olympic trial runners use this same technique to build endurance and consistency. I have used it myself with success and on clients who have been overweight and had bad knees. Go get some!

First off, let's address the carbs. You don't necessarily need them to run a race. I'm Keto and I run 44 minute 10k's. It isn't as big as everyone thinks. You need healthy sources of fats, Proteins and I would throw in some legumes. Stay away from expanding carbs like bread, rice, Pasta or oats. They will only bloat you. The morning of you need simple energy like Peanut Butter, Protein and a bit caloric glucose like blueberries or a banana. It really helps to keep you burning fat throughout the race so your energy levels remain stable. Secondly, I would recommend some kettlebell training to keep your knees from taking too much punishment prior to the race. Sprinting will go a long way but keep the sprints at 70 meters or less. Then take 3 minutes and repeat until your time drops below 3 seconds of your 2nd round of sprint. Every other day, walk fast, almost on the cusp of a jog but not quite. Go for 7 minutes and 30 seconds. Then, turn back and match that pace. The goal is to go out further every time. Olympic trial runners use this same technique to build endurance and consistency. I have used it myself with success and on clients who have been overweight and had bad knees. Go get some!

Very cool advice. Thank you!!

VSG 10/11/17 HW = 360 SW = 292 CW = 236.6 GW = 220 (6'5")